GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shuenk is38+ turbo?

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, does anyone have any feedback regarding the shuenk is38+ turbo? Is anyone running it witb APR is38 tune?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
It seems like a good option but not many people have/are using it from what I’ve seen. I would look into Littco’s L380X or L380 as a more proven alternative.

Last edited:

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I wouldn’t buy one. I haven't heard good things about them on here and Frankenturbo (the owner of Shuenk) does not have a very good reputation with the Mk6 guys either. I would look into Littco’s L380X or L380 if you are looking for a beefed up IS38.
I haven’t heard of any failures with the Shuenk. Have you? I realize it’s the same company as Frankenturbo, but it’s not a “Frankenturbo” turbo. It’s literally just an improved is38...

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I haven’t heard of any failures with the Shuenk. Have you? I realize it’s the same company as Frankenturbo, but it’s not a “Frankenturbo” turbo. It’s literally just an improved is38...

I thought I had seen a few blow but after searching I wasn’t able to find any failures. I edited my precious post accordingly.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
I think Shuenk is38+ turbo is just new, it just came out beginning of this year. Which is why not too many people have heard of it. Im just wondering how well it runs with the apr is38 tune

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
I think Shuenk is38+ turbo is just new, it just came out beginning of this year. Which is why not too many people have heard of it. Im just wondering how well it runs with the apr is38 tune
It is newer, and I just don’t think there are too many out in the wild. You can email Doug at Frankenturbo/Shuenk and ask him how it runs with the APR tune. I have been interested in the Shuenk since they were in development, and I believe they are just supposed to be treated like any regular is38. There is no performance difference or benefit with one vs a stock IHI is38, except that they are more robust. A “bulletproof is38” is how The company has described them.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Good idea, i will email them. If anyone has any reviews feel free to post here. Thanks guys

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
It is newer, and I just don’t think there are too many out in the wild. You can email Doug at Frankenturbo/Shuenk and ask him how it runs with the APR tune. I have been interested in the Shuenk since they were in development, and I believe they are just supposed to be treated like any regular is38. There is no performance difference or benefit with one vs a stock IHI is38, except that they are more robust. A “bulletproof is38” is how The company has described them.
I'm actually having a better experience with my Is38+ than I was with my is20 (both tuned with APR). While certainly infrequent, I was getting the occasional misfire with the is20, an issue I'm happy to report is non-existent on my current file. Now for all I know, APR may have issued an update for the 1.8 solving the issue I had, but I wouldn't know. Aside from that no drama to report on my end. And I was definitely beating the absolute snot out of the turbo with how quiet some of the roads have been recently.

Only thing I would change if I had to do it all again would to pick up the bare turbo option instead of the loaded one. Now to be fair, that wasn't for sale when I actually bought it, but I'd gladly save the couple hundred and have swapped over my wastegate actuator and diverter valve from my old turbo. Hell the only complaint I've had with the turbo was the wastegate that was included wasn't actually properly pre-adjusted, despite Shuenk claiming otherwise.

At least in my mind a brand new reinforced Is38 with a two year warranty for $900 is a steal.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
I'm actually having a better experience with my Is38+ than I was with my is20 (both tuned with APR). While certainly infrequent, I was getting the occasional misfire with the is20, an issue I'm happy to report is non-existent on my current file. Now for all I know, APR may have issued an update for the 1.8 solving the issue I had, but I wouldn't know. Aside from that no drama to report on my end. And I was definitely beating the absolute snot out of the turbo with how quiet some of the roads have been recently.

Only thing I would change if I had to do it all again would to pick up the bare turbo option instead of the loaded one. Now to be fair, that wasn't for sale when I actually bought it, but I'd gladly save the couple hundred and have swapped over my wastegate actuator and diverter valve from my old turbo. Hell the only complaint I've had with the turbo was the wastegate that was included wasn't actually properly pre-adjusted, despite Shuenk claiming otherwise.

At least in my mind a brand new reinforced Is38 with a two year warranty for $900 is a steal.
Thanks for your review man! Glad to hear it runs good with Apr tune. Do you feel a big difference between the is20 and is38+ with APR ?

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
@sovietsky19 i just noticed you’re in SoCal as well. Any reason why you want to go with APR for your tune? 5150 is just down the freeway from you, and has tuned the Shuenk. If you pick up a used accessport, you could get dyno tuned by the best for around the same price as the APR’s tune, and have more power and a better tune custom made for your car

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks for your review man! Glad to hear it runs good with Apr tune. Do you feel a big difference between the is20 and is38+ with APR ?
Car certainly feels ~50hp quicker and unlike with is20 you get power all the way to the redline. You do loose a bit of go on the low end, but daily drivability isn't impacted whatsoever, which was my only real concern moving up to this turbo.

Also handguns makes an excellent point. The nice thing about the Is38+ is its compatibility with any tuning done for it's OEM cousin. Only reason I stuck with APR was due to the limited custom tuning scene for the 1.8, otherwise I'd have driven up to EQT for a custom tune.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
@sovietsky19 i just noticed you’re in SoCal as well. Any reason why you want to go with APR for your tune? 5150 is just down the freeway from you, and has tuned the Shuenk. If you pick up a used accessport, you could get dyno tuned by the best for around the same price as the APR’s tune, and have more power and a better tune custom made for your car

im Apr stage 2 right now which is why it would make sense to upgrade for $700 to is38 tune. I dont know anything about custom tuning..ive always felt that Apr has great tunes that are safe..even though they dont push your car to the limit they are still fast and safe. I dont know but i will look into 5150..and custom tunes but not sure if i want to mess with custom tuning since its my daily driver.

Handguns4heaRTs

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
im Apr stage 2 right now which is why it would make sense to upgrade for $700 to is38 tune. I dont know anything about custom tuning..ive always felt that Apr has great tunes that are safe..even though they dont push your car to the limit they are still fast and safe. I dont know but i will look into 5150..and custom tunes but not sure if i want to mess with custom tuning since its my daily driver.
Valid points, but think of it like a suit- an off the shelf one can still look amazing, but when you get it tailored to your proportions, desired fit/look, etc., it looks that much better. And in the case of tuning, you’re getting every lost drop of power, and it’s still safer/better for your car because it’s developed around the exact specifications and mods of your car. There are threads on here showing the amount of “acceptable” knock retard on several different manufacturers Flash tunes, APR included, that would be unacceptable on a custom tune. I have 0 knock/timing pull on my custom tunes. Just something to consider! Whichever tune you use, you’ll like no matter what. Let us know if you get the Shuenk.

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
Valid points, but think of it like a suit- an off the shelf one can still look amazing, but when you get it tailored to your proportions, desired fit/look, etc., it looks that much better. And in the case of tuning, you’re getting every lost drop of power, and it’s still safer/better for your car because it’s developed around the exact specifications and mods of your car. There are threads on here showing the amount of “acceptable” knock retard on several different manufacturers Flash tunes, APR included, that would be unacceptable on a custom tune. I have 0 knock/timing pull on my custom tunes. Just something to consider! Whichever tune you use, you’ll like no matter what. Let us know if you get the Shuenk.

will def consider it, and do more research. Appreciate all your help and will update this thread as soon as i get everything installed/tuned