GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I Trade?

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I have an opportunity to pick up an AP2 s2k. Long story short, it's my wife's uncles car that he had purchased new for his kid way back when. He's held onto it because his kid wanted a truck. It's been dealer maintained and driven here and there so relatively low mileage. I believe it's a silverstone ap2 with 60k miles, 100% stock and a brand new oem soft top. From my quick research, S2K's with this mileage in good condition are commanding ~$30k. I'd probably sell my GTI and would have to get some sort of suv/truck so I'd have to consider that added cost. WWYD?

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I don't know, man. That is a tough call. Personally I'm trying to get to the truck and weekend car set up myself in the near future.
You are right, S2K's have been appreciating like crazy, but those are for some of the best examples.
For this one, I think $30k may be a tad on the high side..is he the only owner? I think it should be somewhere in the ballpark of $25K. So hopefully you can pick it up for around there. But personally, I probably would not go over $25k. Though if it is a single owner car with good records and in great shape I COULD see ballpark of $30k honestly.
But either way, it would make a terrific second car, and may not be a bad investment.
I don't see the S2K market crashing down any time soon, and even if it does, you probably wouldn't loose your ass too much on it if you are paying attention and decided to get rid of it.
Really comes down to what you can stomach to spend. And what sort of truck you'd be looking at.
I've been looking at trucks too, and they ain't cheap...even before all this used car/new car shortage nonsense.

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You would have to get that second car, the s2k wouldn't be a practical daily and would be a considerable downgrade for commuting.......
With the other car for commuting, you can use the s2k as a weekend / track car... not a bad idea

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
I don't know, man. That is a tough call. Personally I'm trying to get to the truck and weekend car set up myself in the near future.
You are right, S2K's have been appreciating like crazy, but those are for some of the best examples.
For this one, I think $30k may be a tad on the high side..is he the only owner? I think it should be somewhere in the ballpark of $25K. So hopefully you can pick it up for around there. But personally, I probably would not go over $25k. Though if it is a single owner car with good records and in great shape I COULD see ballpark of $30k honestly.
But either way, it would make a terrific second car, and may not be a bad investment.
I don't see the S2K market crashing down any time soon, and even if it does, you probably wouldn't loose your ass too much on it if you are paying attention and decided to get rid of it.
Really comes down to what you can stomach to spend. And what sort of truck you'd be looking at.
I've been looking at trucks too, and they ain't cheap...even before all this used car/new car shortage nonsense.
nothings cheap right now unfortunately :(
i wasn't really thinking of it as an investment as i don't really approach cars from that angle. my plan was to buy the s2k and hand it down to my son when he reaches driving age (assuming he's a responsible kid and not a complete asshat like kids these days).
yep - 1 owner car if you consider that he bought it for his son but ended up keeping it because his son didn't want it

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
What's the car going to be used for if you did trade it? If just street driving keep the gti. If you're going to the track take the s2k
it would be a weekend car for cruising, canyons, maybe some track days in the future but mostly street driving. however, since i've been working from home since Mar-20 and will work from home indefinitely, my car sits in the garage 90% of the time. i went from putting 12k miles / year to 3k miles / year.

9uns

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
gti
You would have to get that second car, the s2k wouldn't be a practical daily and would be a considerable downgrade for commuting.......
With the other car for commuting, you can use the s2k as a weekend / track car... not a bad idea
definite downgrade considering i'd lose all the creature comforts that i've grown accustomed to in my gti.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
i wasn't really thinking of it as an investment as i don't really approach cars from that angle.
Neither do I. Typically a depreciating asset. However in some cases, you can get lucky.
If you are planning to keep it and hold on to it for a long time then I don't see an issue.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
S2K’s are classics that will only get rarer and more expensive. There is no other car like it and there won’t be ever again.

Buy it
Enjoy it
Don’t give it to the kid

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
If you manage to split the GTI into an S2k and a practical daily without screwing up your finances, I say go for it. Like GolNat said, there's no other car like it and there never will be again. Truly unique car, gorgeous styling and imo, will stand the test of time. Think of cars like the FD RX-7, which still look fresh and gorgeous today, almost 30 years later. Then think about what other cars were available in 1993... 4th gen Camaros? Pontiac Sunbird? 🤮

S2k is an example of history and a perfect drivers car. If you can swing it, go for it. GTIs are a dime a dozen -- S2000 was built right from the factory.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
S2K’s are classics that will only get rarer and more expensive. There is no other car like it and there won’t be ever again.

Buy it
Enjoy it
Don’t give it to the kid
This. The S2k (in my opinion) would be a great investment to buy and hold onto with the intent on selling it for a return. They are only going to get more expensive. GTI's on the other hand, probably not.I could be wrong, but there are tons of them on the road. Not many S2K's out there

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
1 owner car if you consider that he bought it for his son but ended up keeping it because his son didn't want it

I would have traded in the son at that point. What son goes "Nah, I don't really want an S2K..."?