GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should I trade up from 2019 GTI AB?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
My GF has a 2018 Forrester XT Limited with the CVT.

It’s so erratic and goofy acting sometimes.

In her car it’s ok, but I would personally never buy one in something like a WRX.

GolfR-BA

Passed Driver's Ed
AWD might not be worth 10k more but having driven both the GTI and the Golf R I think they are different cars. They may looks similar but the R is just better.

I agree with this. I went from a '15 GTI AB DSG and loved it. But my '19 R DSG is just better. The best part is the launch - being able to just stomp the gas pedal and go is such fun.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I remember back in my youth, driving a Mustang SVT with snow tires on in the snow.. and getting stuck in a ditch a few times. When I decided to go front wheel drive and downsized to an Accord V6 coupe I still got stuck, even with the right tires.

When I finally, years and years later, started driving AWD cars, even with worse tires I stopped getting stuck.

AWD might not be worth 10k more but having driven both the GTI and the Golf R I think they are different cars. They may looks similar but the R is just better.

If I could not have afforded the R I would have instead just purchased another WRX Limited with a CVT.

If I was forced to just have a front wheel drive car it would not be the GTI.. like the WRX, too many stories of engine issues. The hardened internals in the R seem to avoid this issue.

The internals on the R engine aren't very different from the GTI. There's a thread about that in the forum.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
My GF has a 2018 Forrester XT Limited with the CVT.

It’s so erratic and goofy acting sometimes.

In her car it’s ok, but I would personally never buy one in something like a WRX.

I traded my "16 WRX CVT in after just after 3 years due to desiring to be in warranty for my daily driver. However, the CVT was horrible. The R DSG, at least on the '19, is great.