GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

should I trade up from 2019 GTI AB?

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently switched from a 2016 Autobahn to a 2019 R. To me, it was worth every single penny. Especially now that I have the APR Plus. I'm not in to street racing, but my god the GTI was AWFUL off the line. The R fixes that problem.

Good luck with your decision.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I recently switched from a 2016 Autobahn to a 2019 R. To me, it was worth every single penny. Especially now that I have the APR Plus. I'm not in to street racing, but my god the GTI was AWFUL off the line. The R fixes that problem.

Let me guess, stock A/S tires?

PS4S’s, dogbone insert and Spark Based TC is like a whole new car.

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie

Congrats!! Was your GTI stock?

Awful is exactly how I'd describe my stage1 in comparison to anything that hooks and goes.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats!! Was your GTI stock?

Awful is exactly how I'd describe my stage1 in comparison to anything that hooks and goes.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Thanks. It was stock except the tires. I had summer and winter tires. I can't imagine more power actually helping with the wheel spin. I loved the GTI once it was moving (at the track for example). But god the standing start........

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks. It was stock except the tires. I can't imagine more power actually helping with the wheel spin. I loved the GTI once it was moving (at the track for example). But god the standing start........
Oh ok, was not expecting that feedback for a stock FWD. Not in the dry. You haven't experienced AWFUL then. lol

People need to STOP w their BS tire suggestions and other mods for those that move or want to move out of FWD and into an AWD. It's silly.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
R = Best handling car I have ever driven, pretty good AWD.
Dude. You need to get out there and drive some more cars. The R is hardly even close to one of the best handling cars available. It's not bad, sure, but it's a far cry from "the best." And I am not trying to crap on you. I am just saying, there is a whole other world of cars out there that handle so much better than the R. I think you'd be impressed with some other stuff.

Oh ok, was not expecting that feedback for a stock FWD. Not in the dry. You haven't experienced AWFUL then. lol

People need to STOP w their BS tire suggestions and other mods for those that move or want to move out of FWD and into an AWD. It's silly.

We are talking about, in this thread, moving from a true FWD car to a fake AWD car. The R is FWD until it needs to be AWD. While it is fine for a stock R, the value of "AWD" on the R decreases with more power, IMO.

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Dude. You need to get out there and drive some more cars. The R is hardly even close to one of the best handling cars available. It's not bad, sure, but it's a far cry from "the best." And I am not trying to crap on you. I am just saying, there is a whole other world of cars out there that handle so much better than the R. I think you'd be impressed with some other stuff.

The Golf R and GTI are not the best at any one thing. They just do everything very well.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The Golf R and GTI are not the best at any one thing. They just do everything very well.

^ this.

I would personally spend that $15k and buy a second car that’s really fun.

Like an AP1 S2000. :cool:

To me $15k is not worth a AWD and a few more ponies, especially when you can put wider/stickier tires on the GTI and have 90% of the fun with a sunroof.

The GTI and Golf R are quite antiseptic when it’s compared against more purpose built fun cars.

My 996 was $18k, low slung, 300HP, RWD, LSD, Fister Mufflers and 6MT.

285’s out back and no stability or traction control... woot!

Every time I wanted a relaxing drive I grabbed the keys to the GTI, when I wanted to have fun I grabbed the keys to the 911.

Last edited: