GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
  • Has your username changed as part of the site merger and want it changed back? If the other version of your username isn't being used, send Gulfer a PM and we can probably fix it for you

should I trade up from 2019 GTI AB?

randomhobo130

Ready to race!
Going to the R doesn't make sense financially in this situation. I know swapping snows and Summers can be a bit of a pain (especially in the shoulder months when you're not sure when to pull the trigger) but it does give you the best out of your vehicle in both seasons. Take it from my experience, if you're trying to tackle winter on the stock A/S tires, don't do it. Tried it the first winter I got my car and I immediately regretted that decision. Good luck and I hope whatever you end up doing works out for you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
I dunno. The awd on the R is not as good as the WRX and the R is easily overpriced by around 5k. That said the extra 8 or 9k for the AWD, slightly more factory tunes power backed up slightly stronger engine internals, and the less aggressive looks were worth the cost. I have no intention of driving on more then a few inches of snow and swaped out the summer tires for all seasons quickly. Just my opinion but the R is worth it. As I have said before: if there was no wet or snow weather where I lived then for me the cheaper autobahn would have been my choice...

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Appreciate all the comments -- and I agree with most of them (yeah, I know there is a bit of disagreement but I see the points on both sides)

To those interested in the pricing, here is the update - with the caveat that no number is ever firm until you sign the deal. With just a bit of looking, the best deal on the table so far is still too much - a 9K spread between my Autobahn and a new R (DSG, black Prets). Dealer offered 30K cash for the AB - which suggests he's letting the R out for 39, which seems in line with what I've seen advertised.

So the spread is bigger than back in February (as most of you guys noted). My new focus is a used 18 R. There are more out there than I thought and they seem to be sitting for a bit at listed prices under/at 35, which makes sense given new is about 39. I think a true market price for a 12-18 month old 18 with under 15K is around 32 - I suspect that is better than dealers are offering. If I find a seller willing to get there - -and the dealer cash offer on my car is real - that is only a couple grand spread (ignoring TTL).

Thoughts on a used 18 R? Obviously, have to watch out for mods/TD1 flag and all the used car caveats. But I believe that there are literally NO differences between 18 and 19 Rs - is that correct?

Thanks

deaddog

Passed Driver's Ed
Understand about needing tires for the R - its part of the plan. WRT getting a different car, I hear you but for my needs that is a non-starter. I'm either keeping the GTI Autobahn or getting an R (at least for now!).

And I disagree with those who don't see a material difference between driving the GTI vs driving the R, at least on stock tires. I guess I'm skeptical that new tires on the GTI (assuming A/S (contis or michelin)) will meaningfully stop wheel spin - but I won't know without spending a grand or so. To be fair, I understand (and kind of agree) with those who don't think its worth the spread (new, used, or whatever) but that is a value judgment - I think the driving difference is objectively diffferent.

XM_Rocks

Go Kart Champion
Wider stickier tires on lighter wheels and a dog bone insert makes all the difference in the world.

However sounds like you’ve made up your mind.

GL with the buying process for your used R.

Can’t go wrong with either and if you have the extra $10-$15k you could spend it on worse things.

flg2010

Passed Driver's Ed
Understand about needing tires for the R - its part of the plan. WRT getting a different car, I hear you but for my needs that is a non-starter. I'm either keeping the GTI Autobahn or getting an R (at least for now!).

And I disagree with those who don't see a material difference between driving the GTI vs driving the R, at least on stock tires. I guess I'm skeptical that new tires on the GTI (assuming A/S (contis or michelin)) will meaningfully stop wheel spin - but I won't know without spending a grand or so. To be fair, I understand (and kind of agree) with those who don't think its worth the spread (new, used, or whatever) but that is a value judgment - I think the driving difference is objectively diffferent.
I drove both GTI and R, however finding dealers that permit test drives is hard. GTI = Best handling front drive car I have ever driven. Would I drive it in snow? Yes, but not more then a dusting. R = Best handling car I have ever driven, pretty good AWD. Would I drive it in snow? Yes, but not more then 3 or 4 inches.

I previously owned a 2016 WRX Limited. I loved the car. I drove it for 3 years as my daily. It was great in snow. It handled tons better and drove tons better then a GTI. However I felt every single bump in the road. My back hurt, my neck hurt. Did I drive it in the snow? Hell yes, but not more then 5 inches.

If in say, 3 and a half years, I had a choice between a WRX Limited, GTI, and there was no Golf R available and I had to buy a new car due to warranty running out. What would I buy? That is simple. I could buy the WRX Limited. Its the same price as the Autobahn, the fit in finish is less but it handles better and its quicker, and its better, far better in the snow.

However, given a choice between all three cars I would go with the Golf R, even at a 8k cost over a WRX. Its worth the money.

With the Golf R you get some of the all wheel drive stability with a little bit of German luxury car refinement. You also get factory backed tuning and hardened internals for the engine that support a DSG 0 to 60 close to 4.5 seconds. The drive is easy and makes a daily commute do able. For me the premium is worth it.

The WRX Limited and the Golf R both require a tire swap out. I recommend just buying the best All Seasons, ditching the summer and replacing tires every 24 months regardless of miles. I never drove my WRX in heavy snow or fast on roads with pot holes.

None of these cars have strong engines or will be reliable over 100k miles. At some point their engines will fail. Small displacement, high compression.. bad for durability. They are meant to be driven and enjoyed and replaced when they get out of warranty or start to show signs of failure.

If I live to retirement and they still make them I plan to buy a Mustang GT Fastback, loaded, those cars can last forever. I just would be doing an uber in the winter.

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently switched from a 2016 Autobahn to a 2019 R. To me, it was worth every single penny. Especially now that I have the APR Plus. I'm not in to street racing, but my god the GTI was AWFUL off the line. The R fixes that problem.

Good luck with your decision.

XM_Rocks

Go Kart Champion
I recently switched from a 2016 Autobahn to a 2019 R. To me, it was worth every single penny. Especially now that I have the APR Plus. I'm not in to street racing, but my god the GTI was AWFUL off the line. The R fixes that problem.

Let me guess, stock A/S tires?

PS4S’s, dogbone insert and Spark Based TC is like a whole new car.

gti330ex

Ready to race!

Congrats!! Was your GTI stock?

Awful is exactly how I'd describe my stage1 in comparison to anything that hooks and goes.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed
Congrats!! Was your GTI stock?

Awful is exactly how I'd describe my stage1 in comparison to anything that hooks and goes.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Thanks. It was stock except the tires. I had summer and winter tires. I can't imagine more power actually helping with the wheel spin. I loved the GTI once it was moving (at the track for example). But god the standing start........

gti330ex

Ready to race!
Thanks. It was stock except the tires. I can't imagine more power actually helping with the wheel spin. I loved the GTI once it was moving (at the track for example). But god the standing start........
Oh ok, was not expecting that feedback for a stock FWD. Not in the dry. You haven't experienced AWFUL then. lol

People need to STOP w their BS tire suggestions and other mods for those that move or want to move out of FWD and into an AWD. It's silly.

idriveastick

Ready to race!
R = Best handling car I have ever driven, pretty good AWD.
Dude. You need to get out there and drive some more cars. The R is hardly even close to one of the best handling cars available. It's not bad, sure, but it's a far cry from "the best." And I am not trying to crap on you. I am just saying, there is a whole other world of cars out there that handle so much better than the R. I think you'd be impressed with some other stuff.

Oh ok, was not expecting that feedback for a stock FWD. Not in the dry. You haven't experienced AWFUL then. lol

People need to STOP w their BS tire suggestions and other mods for those that move or want to move out of FWD and into an AWD. It's silly.
We are talking about, in this thread, moving from a true FWD car to a fake AWD car. The R is FWD until it needs to be AWD. While it is fine for a stock R, the value of "AWD" on the R decreases with more power, IMO.

Mk_GTI

Ready to race!
Dude. You need to get out there and drive some more cars. The R is hardly even close to one of the best handling cars available. It's not bad, sure, but it's a far cry from "the best." And I am not trying to crap on you. I am just saying, there is a whole other world of cars out there that handle so much better than the R. I think you'd be impressed with some other stuff.
The Golf R and GTI are not the best at any one thing. They just do everything very well.