GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I sell my gti now?

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed
Used car market is crazy, just got a buy offer from an online dealer for ~mids 18k for my base ‘16 gti s with 58k miles.
Was thinking of keeping it since it has never given me any issues, mostly fwy miles on it and looks great for its age. But this offer looks too good to turn down right ?

What do you think? Appreciate your comments

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I'd love to get rid of my 16 GTI with 42k miles for that price. How did an online dealer even find you?

If you are at 58k with no issues I would say you are right around the corner from a waterpump/thermostat failure.

gmgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
I'd love to get rid of my 16 GTI with 42k miles for that price. How did an online dealer even find you?

If you are at 58k with no issues I would say you are right around the corner from a waterpump/thermostat failure.
Check out Vroom or Carvana. They will give you a price instantly.
I sold 2 cars to Vroom. Depending on market conditions you’d be amazed at what they offer.

Raguvian

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GSW 4MO 6MT
If it's a spare car you don't use, then sure, sell it.

Selling it now to get back into the market for another car is a short sighted move, though. You're going to spend that extra money you're getting by selling the car now on trying to find a replacement. Plus, there are going to be supply constraints of new cars thanks to chip shortages so that's only going to compound the new/used car issues.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Agreed with the above comments. If you are already looking at another car and have it picked out and such, go for it. If you are selling it just to make a quick buck, not a great reason.

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed
You will ultimately save much more money continuing to drive it than you will receive riding the crest of the used car market.

Say it's worth 2 grand extra right now, that's not really that significant against buying another new car and eating the depreciation again.
Yeah depreciation plus high new car prices. I hear deals are tough to get. At 2k over I would keep it, but I think it’s more like 4K over trade in.

spaceworm

Passed Driver's Ed

Try algo, vroom, carmax does online now, carvana and shift. Water pump/therm was done at 36k.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Check out . . . Carvana. Depending on market conditions you’d be amazed at what they offer. (Emphasis added.)
This ^. Two days ago I sold a Honda Ridgeline RTL to Carvana for $1200 more than I paid for it (taxes, etc.) in Feb. 2019. They also came to get it within 24 hours of their online quote and paid for it via electronic transfer within 13 hours 20 minutes of picking it up. The "appraiser" never drove it a foot, never even raised the hood. I don't think she even looked at the passenger side of the truck. She only started it to be sure the mileage was what I'd submitted initially. Whatever it is, they have one crazy business model.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
This ^. Two days ago I sold a Honda Ridgeline RTL to Carvana for $1200 more than I paid for it (taxes, etc.) in Feb. 2019. They also came to get it within 24 hours of their online quote and paid for it via electronic transfer within 13 hours 20 minutes of picking it up. The "appraiser" never drove it a foot, never even raised the hood. I don't think she even looked at the passenger side of the truck. She only started it to be sure the mileage was what I'd submitted initially. Whatever it is, they have one crazy business model.
I always wondered how they do this. I put my car in at point and they were offering a crazy amount. I didn't go through because I figured they would try to change the quote after the fact and didn't want to deal with it. They must do enough volume that if they get a shitter they write it off.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Used car market is crazy, just got a buy offer from an online dealer for ~mids 18k for my base ‘16 gti s with 58k miles.
Was thinking of keeping it since it has never given me any issues, mostly fwy miles on it and looks great for its age. But this offer looks too good to turn down right ?

What do you think? Appreciate your comments

That's pretty good. I got a 20k Carmax offer for my 17 Sport with 21k on the odo.

cb1111

I just sold my Acura to Carvana a month ago and they are coming to pick up my wife's civic tomorrow. Prices are crazy right now, but you need to check all of the sites (Vroom/Carvana/Webuyanycar/CARMAX etc.) and get prices. The dealer offered me $10k for my Acura, Vroom $7k, WeBuyAnyCar $7200 and Carvana offered $12k. Similar with the Honda - dealer $4k, Vroom $4200, Webuyanycar $4150 and carvana is at $5126.

I was going to drive up with the Civic to pick up the new car, but it would have been one overnight and about $120 in tolls. Adding gas and the hotel would have been $300 or so. Shipping was $500 and that saved a bunch of miles on the new car. Would have been a nice road trip had it not been the COVID in some of the states.

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
Selling it now to get back into the market for another car is a short sighted move, though.
Could just sell it and buy a used car for cheap... a 2010s something you could pay off. I've considered it... just to speed up my process of getting into a house. Carvana offered me 16.5 for my GTI sight unseen. I'm sure if I did a little PDR on the penny size dent in the passenger's side door they would give it to me too.

However, looks like it's about 2k less than OP and I am only sitting at 42k miles. They must be making big bucks with their state-based pricing.

relive

Ready to race!
Sounds like SoCal pricing is higher than NorCal. The best offer that I got for my '16 S DSG with 44k miles is $17,500.

Not worth swapping cars for, but it is more than what I paid for it (before taxes) two years ago.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
If you are going to look for a replacement immediately, it might not be worth it.

In my case, GTI is the second vehicle in the household and i hardly drive it working from home. I have a couple of great offers from dealers and will be selling it tomorrow.