GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I refinance my VW Credit Loan?

gtinewbie1

Passed Driver's Ed
I joined the GTI family just a few weeks ago. I got a great deal on a 2018 Autobahn.

I was so focused on the price of the car I didn’t negotiate the financing.

Got a 2.9% apr for 72 months through VW credit when I purchased the car. That was rate another dealer was offering before they ran my credit. I took their offer and went with a dealer near me and they just matched it.

But after a few weeks of thinking about this. I am thinking why I didn’t ask for a 1.9% or even a 0.9% loan. My credit it excellent.

I am thinking now is it even worth refinancing?

Not sure why this is in my head. I guess I am always looking to see if I got a good deal.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD-1

Ready to race!
I'm in the same situation. I know for a fact I didn't get the most competitive rate, but I also didn't want to deal with getting my own financing (it was annoying enough for the dealer to "locate" the car I wanted). I just figured I'll refinance in 6 months... VW approved me for something like 4.56% at 72 months. I could also tell they didn't shop my rate. When I got my first car they which was a certified pre owned mazda they lit my score up with at least 5 lenders... VW did it with just VW. I'm sure all banks have bad google rankings but VW credit's is pretty frickin bad lol.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Check with your credit union, I know mine refinanced my GTI, it was originally a lease through VW credit, as a new car because it had less than 7,000 miles.

adam1991

Banned
A girl in my office just bought a Golf this weekend, and got 0.9% for 72 months.

And this from a skeezy dealer.

3 months ago my dealer shopped around for me and found 1.86% for 60 months. I couldn't find any good CU deals like mentioned above, so I took it.

Basically, anything under 2% beats inflation, so it's almost same as cash. Definitely shop around and see what you can come up with.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I think its a good rate for 72 months. Lowest current apr in my CU is 2.74% and there are several others in the area offering 1.9% as well.

dnslater

I think you did well. I have nearly perfect credit and just got 3.2% on a 36 month loan for my wifes car. It was a 2014, otherwise the rate would have been closer to 2.5%, but still. Rates are shooting up. Lots of folks with average credit getting 5%+ loans now.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
If you can get a lower rate then refinance. If the rates are close and you want to see if it's worth it then compare them. In Excel do a template search for "loan amortization schedule". I actually don't bother negotiating the loan at all. I take the high rate knowing that the dealer is making money off of it meaning they can afford to make a little less off me. Then I immediately refinance at a lower rate.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
A girl in my office just bought a Golf this weekend, and got 0.9% for 72 months.

And this from a skeezy dealer.

3 months ago my dealer shopped around for me and found 1.86% for 60 months. I couldn't find any good CU deals like mentioned above, so I took it.

Basically, anything under 2% beats inflation, so it's almost same as cash. Definitely shop around and see what you can come up with.

Did she get as good of a deal as you? Kinda hard to get rate and a steep discount.

adam1991

Banned
I didn't ask. I agree, on the surface it sounded like she simply paid more up front.

Me, I got a little below the Costco price in addition to that 1.86%. My credit is right under 850. For the $1100 in interest I'll pay over 5 years, I'm not sure how anyone makes any money on that.

SweetJones_29

Ready to race!
You not getting the best deal financing a car for 72 months.