GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I bother fighting it?

zVp

Go Kart Champion
I'm scanning over the ticket and I definitely don't see any odd markings like an S or R.

So if I try to extend the process as much as possible, insurance won't know of my offense until it's finalized in court, right?

And yes, peel region, known for it's low-life twisted sneaky cops :mad0259:

Yup - right now you're just "on trial" for the offense, you haven't been convicted of the offense yet so the insurance company won't know at all.

Just request a trial date and go from there :)

Peel Region police officers are actually one of the better police forces - they go through some rigorous testing and some additional testing, if I remember correctly, as compared to York Region, Toronto, Durham, Halton, etc. This is due to the airport. However, due to this, you'll find more arrogant and self-boasting officers in Peel Region.

You got a good officer, though. He reduced your offense by a big amount.

No no no, I'm in Canada! I was going 93KM/h.
And as I said, I only sped up temporarily to get ahead of the wall of too-slow drivers. I signalled while switching lanes and did not disrupt any drivers in the process. It was a fluke that the officer was right there as I was doing it... but if I didn't have that 2 seconds of increased speed I wouldn't be able to successfully switch lanes.

this ticket is very normal for us canadians... the speed limit posted in some areas are just simply fuking retarded.. "pardon my french".. going up from 60-93 is nothing. she was just pressing her foot down for maybe 4-5 secs and there, you are at 100 kms.. it sucks that you got a ticket... but you did get off lucky i think with 40$??? :lol::lol::lol: hows that anything... thats +30 over... damn.. in the GTA you guys have it easy.. come to vancouver and you will see how anal and ignorant cops... there isnt much for them other than drug trafficking and speeding cars.. you cant even say.. sir, please give me a break today? maybe a reasonable police officer in the states will go easy on you but here... they will ask you to get out of your car for even trying to be smart... i hate the speed limits sometimes.... /rant.

But yes... fight the damn popo till the very end.. insurance prices.. dont even get me started on that...

kashak

Ready to race!
I'm confused though. It says to fill out the trial option to plead NOT GUILTY.

There is a space for checkmark on the trial form that reads something like "I want to challenge the officer's evidence blah blah blah and I request his presence". DON'T check it. He will have to be there anyway, 100% guarantee you. Done it 3-4 times already since I got my license 8 years ago and the cop never showed up. 4/5 of people in the court room just walk out basically because their officer is not present (lack of evidence).

worst case scenario (if you are the remaining 1/5) well, I'm not sure :) 40$ is nothing...I'd be more worried about demerit points cause that stuff stays for 2 years. Didn't know that 10 over doesn't get you any.

Last edited:

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
so x-copper called me with their quote.

it's almost $300 just to take a chance at wiping the ticket.

if they're unsuccessful then I'm out $300 and still have the ticket -.-

any other canadian ticket fighters worth trying or should I just do this on my own?

nik

Go Kart Champion
I had the same thing happened to me last year on my way to Montreal. Unmarked Suburban got me at night on the 401 right when I was passing a slower car. He did drop it to 3 points on the spot, Court dropped it further to 0 points but didn't throw it out. So insurance will ding me equally if they find out.

I thought I heard last year they've made it mandatory for the officer to show up, so delaying the court date may not help. You may have to look into that further though. My ticket was from Cornwall, so I'm sure they had nothing better to do there.

Some tips:
- Try to fight it, if you want to use another company try OTT (Ontario Traffic Tickets) I've used them twice (for this ticket (not so successful) and once for an accident (got thrown out)). They will run you about $400. It's a gamble in either case.

- DO NOT tell your insurance company this happened if you do get the conviction...hopefully they don't audit your records and you will get lucky. Don't switch companies either for the next 3 years.

Check your ticket for correct information:
- i.e. your name, license number, vehicle information, address. Also check your fine and victim surcharge and compare it to the amounts on the Ontario highway traffic act. Make sure the math is correct..or the lack of...If any of that information is incorrect you may be lucky and the ticket could be tossed out.

Slash the judge's tires: The judge showed up late to my friends trial and all the tickets got tossed. I don't recommend this one :)

Check redflag deals. They have a plethora of info on this topic, though there are a lot of internet warriors on there too with non value added info.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
so x-copper called me with their quote.

it's almost $300 just to take a chance at wiping the ticket.

if they're unsuccessful then I'm out $300 and still have the ticket -.-

any other canadian ticket fighters worth trying or should I just do this on my own?

I thought you already got it reduced to 10 over with a $40 fine and no points?

I don't see what you're trying to fight, just pay the 40 dollar fine.

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
I thought you already got it reduced to 10 over with a $40 fine and no points?

I don't see what you're trying to fight, just pay the 40 dollar fine.

-.-

I have no problem paying $40. That is not the issue. And even if I have no points it still goes on my record.

Another ticket on my record = even larger spike increase on my insurance rates

Therefore.. it's no longer $40 that I'm looking at. Seeing as the 1st 10 over I got ended up costing $40+$1200.

09vdubgti

Banned
Car(s)
mkV GTi
ohhhhhhhhhhhh

guess our judicial systems are different.

I was thinking it was a simple 10 over and its just a 40 dollar fine and that was it. Well best of luck.

dubessa

Go Kart Champion
I had the same thing happened to me last year on my way to Montreal. Unmarked Suburban got me at night on the 401 right when I was passing a slower car. He did drop it to 3 points on the spot, Court dropped it further to 0 points but didn't throw it out. So insurance will ding me equally if they find out.

I thought I heard last year they've made it mandatory for the officer to show up, so delaying the court date may not help. You may have to look into that further though. My ticket was from Cornwall, so I'm sure they had nothing better to do there.

Some tips:
- Try to fight it, if you want to use another company try OTT (Ontario Traffic Tickets) I've used them twice (for this ticket (not so successful) and once for an accident (got thrown out)). They will run you about $400. It's a gamble in either case.

- DO NOT tell your insurance company this happened if you do get the conviction...hopefully they don't audit your records and you will get lucky. Don't switch companies either for the next 3 years.

So,

-that really sucks if the officer is required to show. I read that they get paid to show.. but for a ticket so little I doubt they'd be paid much.. then again I have no idea how the system works...

-you said you used OTT for your ticket. Was your OTT representative in court with you when the judge had dropped it to 0 points? Or did you use OTT once it was already lowered but not thrown out? Because I am worried that if I do fight the ticket using a company like OTT, I may be charged with my original ticket amount (the 4 points and $280)

-unfortunately I'm currently browsing alternative insurance companies because of such ridiculous rates. so if I find a better insurance rate, and I switch, then i'm screwed once again :(

boooo

SayaGTI

www.meatspin.com
You unfortunately just got caught. We all gambled at some point in time, I know, but now you just have to pay the consequence. It'll take some time before the ticket shows up anyway, so you won't feel the pain for a while.

You can try to fight it, but if indeed the officer does show up, he'll say he already showed you leniency by reducing the citation, then the judge will keep your citation on the table because you've already had a reduction. Can they prove it since the officer didn't write it on your ticket? No, but who's the judge gonna believe....

If you can't do the time (or pay the fine) don't do the crime. Everyone has an excuse "I was late for work/school etc" just leave earlier next time.

mikeydubs

Ready to race!
Peel Region police officers are actually one of the better police forces - they go through some rigorous testing and some additional testing, if I remember correctly, as compared to York Region, Toronto, Durham, Halton, etc. This is due to the airport.

I think one division within Peel is responsible for the airport, not all of them.

OP, I don't think you have much of a chance at getting it thrown out if it has already been significantly reduced.

nik

Go Kart Champion
So,

-that really sucks if the officer is required to show. I read that they get paid to show.. but for a ticket so little I doubt they'd be paid much.. then again I have no idea how the system works...

-you said you used OTT for your ticket. Was your OTT representative in court with you when the judge had dropped it to 0 points? Or did you use OTT once it was already lowered but not thrown out? Because I am worried that if I do fight the ticket using a company like OTT, I may be charged with my original ticket amount (the 4 points and $280)

-unfortunately I'm currently browsing alternative insurance companies because of such ridiculous rates. so if I find a better insurance rate, and I switch, then i'm screwed once again :(

boooo

I used ott from the getgo for mine. Didn't want to miss a day of work and drive all the way to Cornwall. They pretty much take care of everything for you once you do their paperwork and cut them a cheque. Mine did get reduced on the spot and further I court so I guess anything is possible. But reducing wont really help much. You can ask the ott guy if they will bump it back up. But I don't think they can do that. They can't add convictions or new charges on the ticket if I'm not mistaken. Generally the owner takes the primary calls and he's an ex officer. Then he gives the case to his paralegal team. Hope this helps!

Becks

Ready to race!
Plead Not Guilty Hire an attorney. Pay him the few hundred bucks to get the ticket thrown out, or reduced. Better than paying for a speeding ticket that is considered excessive speeding, the points on your license and the increase in your insurance for several years.

If you don't know an attorney, just google for one in the county you got the ticket. It is all about revenue for the counties anyway.