GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Short trips - DPF

robby1

Ready to race!
Hi, looking at a new GTD on lease at a great deal after wanting a GTi but those figures too high.
I do short journeys (8 miles each way to work/ home), no motorways and was wondering if this would block up the DPF often as i'm guessing the car wouldn't get hot enough to burn it clean?

Anyone else have a diesel that only does short trips?

Cheers

BravoMike

Go Kart Champion
Yes. One of my best friends and he is having troubles since only doing short trips. He just had entire DPF, EGR system replaced as well as turbocharger, intake valves, inter cooler and related plumbing replaced. Fortunately it was all covered under warrenty otherwise that would amount to $10,000 USD. All items mentioned above that were replaced were caked with soot. That's on a Mk6 TDI with about 55,000 miles.

golfhappy

Ready to race!
Had a MK6 GTD 36k, 3 years no problems...currentley MK7 21k on the clock a mile each way to and from work no problems with both cars. If the cars on lease hire don't worry. Get it fill it with fuel and enjoy!
I see you have an ST2, i had one for 6 weeks, bloody recaro seats were very uncomfortable an amazing car tho.

MrPotatoHead1

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, looking at a new GTD on lease at a great deal after wanting a GTi but those figures too high.
I do short journeys (8 miles each way to work/ home), no motorways and was wondering if this would block up the DPF often as i'm guessing the car wouldn't get hot enough to burn it clean?

Anyone else have a diesel that only does short trips?

Cheers

You're only doing 16 mile a day commuting, hardly seems worth the diesel for that sort of distance as the engine is unlikely to be up to temperature, my DPF comes on more often on short journeys. Go for the GTi :cool: wish I could have gone for one but I do 42 mile a day to work and back.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
As long as you take it for a decent run every week to get it to regenerate you will have no problems. Personally as said I would have gone for petrol with such low mileage.

Kevmoz

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, I do the same 8 mile trip most days too. The fan is on sometimes when I stop as its trying to regenerate but I mix short and long journeys and have never had the DPF light on.

Go for it as long as you do the occasional 25 mile route and all will be good.

chrisreynolds19

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2 mile commute to work, sometimes i will drive the 4 miles per day for a few days and the fan will come on and it regens fine however as my car is a company car i can also have days where the car does 150 miles per day for a few weeks. The car runs fine but in your situation, i would buy the GTI, infact i think you should just throw caution to the wind and order up an R :)

pedg

Yes. One of my best friends and he is having troubles since only doing short trips. He just had entire DPF, EGR system replaced as well as turbocharger, intake valves, inter cooler and related plumbing replaced. Fortunately it was all covered under warrenty otherwise that would amount to $10,000 USD. All items mentioned above that were replaced were caked with soot. That's on a Mk6 TDI with about 55,000 miles.

FWIW, I've had my GTD from new, and its now got nearly 4k on the clock, and as far as I am aware, its NEVER done a dpf regen, and I certainly have never seen the DPF light on the dash for sure.

I try to avoid short journeys and really drive it like I stole it wherever and whenever its legal and safe to do so.

Also use good quality diesel. Cheap supermarket rubbish with a high Biodiesel content is no good for modern diesel engines at all, and will cause all of the above symptoms.

Also try to get the Oil temperature above 100 degrees C fairly regularly, as generally this will generate enough heat in the dpf to keep it clean and not require active regens.

richiekuk

Ready to race!
I know if I only drove 8 miles each way to work each day I certainly wouldn't have bought a diesel.
Diesel is dearer to buy. I know it wasn't for a while, but its creeping up again.
You'll not really get the benefits whilst driving such small distances.

If its dearer, but affordable, get the GTI. You'll be so much happier. If its not affordable, I'd look at an affordable petrol.
If all else fails and you do still decide to get the GTD. Then try and take it out for a good blast every now and then. Let it get hot! And if you get home and the idle is high and the fans are on, let it finish its regen!

MrPotatoHead1

Passed Driver's Ed
One thing I have noticed with mine is that the DPF does a regen more when I have used cheaper supermarket fuel...

GTi all the way though buddy, you'll enjoy it more. Had my GTD 4 months and already getting the itch to go back to something thirstier

ROBK75

Ready to race!
I do short journeys but make sure I go for a blast down the motorway at least once a week. I also only use premium fuel like Shell Nitro or BP Ultimate or whatever they're called. And last week I had an engine Carbon Clean after reading a lot of good reviews, which certainly hasn't done any harm (in fact it seems slightly more responsive) and is meant to protect the engine.

I've done 28k miles and not had any problems with the DPF, I'm hoping the actions above mean I don't in the future otherwise I'll be screwed, I'm pretty sure VW won't cover it under warranty with all the mods I've had done.

amcneill

How about monitoring your dpf using the on-board diagnostic port OBD? Cheap to do £5 for the Bluetooth diagnostic tool and £3.50 for the full app.Take a look on the United Kingdom regional forum and don't forget to post your results.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk