GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shootspeed's 2018 VW GTI MK7.5 build

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I don't track it (not yet at least) or have any other coilovers to compare it to other than stock suspension so I can't really go into fine details, but it is one of the best upgrades you can do to the car imo.

Stock suspension just felt so bouncy on rough roads and bumps, now it feels nice and planted to the ground and has a better road feel. Looks great too, the GTI is lowered about 1.5".

I think the only thing to watch out for is that the H&R street performance coilovers aren't stainless steel, so they might not be a good idea if you deal with snow.

Almost went with KW or Bilstein but I did some research and each had their own issues at the time. I remember that Bilstein had a huge supply issue earlier this year so I couldn't get a set for the GTI at the time, not sure if that's going on still.
How much of the threading have you used? do you know what the min lowering is?

ANy reason you went with street performance vs street performance+?

shootspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Ended up having second thoughts about the diffuser and window deflectors I bought this week, so I'll have to sell those soon. Really disappointed in the quality of Maxton and I want to go with a cleaner build.

Ordered a few other things that should be coming in around January, both performance and for exterior, so more photos next month!

I did a wax and wash earlier this week and decided to do some night time photography. Shooting a black car at night is a pain without strobes or light painting, but I don't want to deal with the setup time (nor do I have the equipment at home). Luckily enough found a somewhat empty parking garage to shoot in.

12/29/2019:
12d.jpg
12c.jpg
12a.jpg
12f.jpg
12g.jpg

Navi

Autocross Champion
I don't track it (not yet at least) or have any other coilovers to compare it to other than stock suspension so I can't really go into fine details, but it is one of the best upgrades you can do to the car imo.

Stock suspension just felt so bouncy on rough roads and bumps, now it feels nice and planted to the ground and has a better road feel. Looks great too, the GTI is lowered about 1.5".

I think the only thing to watch out for is that the H&R street performance coilovers aren't stainless steel, so they might not be a good idea if you deal with snow.

Almost went with KW or Bilstein but I did some research and each had their own issues at the time. I remember that Bilstein had a huge supply issue earlier this year so I couldn't get a set for the GTI at the time, not sure if that's going on still.

nice build. Car looks dope.

HR Street Performance are stainless steel though.

Ramon64124

Drag Racing Champion
How to you like those XP+? I have a set at home i'm about to use. I'm running MS932 Sport on my other set of wheels.

shootspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
nice build. Car looks dope.

HR Street Performance are stainless steel though.

Thanks! I'm a fan of your build is as well--I've been going back and forth on an Oettinger spoiler install.

I thought only the H&R Street Performance SS version was stainless steel? Good news for me if the regular ones are stainless steel though, but ultimately it doesn't snow where I'm at at (socal) so I'm good either way.

shootspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
How to you like those XP+? I have a set at home i'm about to use. I'm running MS932 Sport on my other set of wheels.

They're pretty good for daily and some spirited driving, although I haven't even had them on for over 1000 miles yet. I definitely felt a bit more gripped up compared to the stock Pirellis the GTI came with, but then again I went an inch wider with the HRE wheels these are currently on.

Time will tell, but I trust Milestar with daily PCR stuff.

shootspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
IE MQB Intake / Turbo Inlet Pipe and OEM folding mirrors installed!

The IE intake itself was fairly simple to install, but I did run into a few things while uninstalling the APR intake kit. A few notes:
  • Good luck detaching the OEM PCV breather hose from the APR Turbo Inlet Pipe. Did a search and found that a lot of people had trouble removing the hose from this particular inlet pipe due to the design. Rather than attempting to remove it (and most likely breaking it), I ended up purchasing the ECS PCV breather hose instead. The other option was going with the older OEM version with pressure clips, but I was able to get the ECS version faster. I used the ECS turbo inlet pipe install guide for the process, and the manual found on the ECS website for the PCV breather hose install.

• The IE intake install was pretty simple, but the Carbon Fiber cover had missing hardware: one of the screws that fastens the cover to the radiator support. I contacted IE and they were kind enough to send me the piece, although I could probably order it on Amazon (a more expensive option due to ordering in bulk, and it's kinda hard to find specific metric screws locally).

• EXTREMELY satisfied with the results! I mainly got rid of the APR after the comparisons on mygolfmk7.com put it in a pretty bad light, and decided to give IE a try. Turbo spooling and diverter valve noises are much louder (APR's kit was pretty quiet), and it's nice to have that kind of feedback to know what exactly is going on. I left the APR Turbo Muffler Delete in since IE's design looked pretty similar.
As for the OEM folding mirror install:
  • I've installed dynamic turn signals before, but it's WAY easier to install turn signals and mirror caps with the mirrors removed first.

• Also, remove the 2 torx screws behind the mirrors! After you do this and remove the 2 screws holding the turn signals in, you won't have to struggle removing the signals with a pry tool. This guide is easier/safer than the ShopDAP guide.

• The folding mirrors have motors that make it a bit harder to screw the new turn signals back in, so doing the above might make it easier.

• Door panel removal was way easier than doing the rear hatch. I used HumbleMechanic's guide for the process, make sure to buy those specific pry tools!

• Long coding was fairly easy to get the manual folding + puddle lights working, but I had to purchase the app to enable the key fob option as it looks like OBDeleven removed "Access 2" in adaptations and could not find the corresponding codes under "ZV Komfort".
I did also fix the rattle from the center arm rest, which involved removing that sliding door on the bottom side of the lid. I ended up using a pry tool to remove the bottom lid piece and still managed to break clips on the sliding door, but there's no way I'm putting that thing back in. I also added felt tape to the plastic edges of the door cards when they were removed to help with any additional rattles/creaks. The car is pretty quiet now!

1/11/20 - 1/18/20:
13a - 1600px.jpg
13b - 1600px.jpg
13e - 1600px.jpg
13c - 1600px.jpg
13d - 1600px.jpg

Navi

Autocross Champion
Thanks! I'm a fan of your build is as well--I've been going back and forth on an Oettinger spoiler install.

I thought only the H&R Street Performance SS version was stainless steel? Good news for me if the regular ones are stainless steel though, but ultimately it doesn't snow where I'm at at (socal) so I'm good either way.

no, all their coilovers are SS bodies. That's what their tech guy told me the other day at least.

shootspeed

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Was meaning to post this sooner than later, but now I have a bit of time!

A few new mods:

Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood, Side Skirts, and Rear Valance installed in February
  • If you're buying the Seibon side skirts, be prepared to modify! I had to dremel cut holes on the new skirts for the arrow bumps on the OEM side skirts that point to the pinch welds.
  • I was able to install the carbon fiber hood by myself. Some of the holes like for the rubber grommets and washing fluid dispenser may need to be sanded down a bit more to get them to fit, but install was fairly painless. Thinking about a paint match later...
  • My hood seems to be a bit crooked towards the front (just alignment around the headlights) due to using the OEM hood strut pushing up on the hood when closed. I haven't installed hoodpins yet because of this.
  • The valance required a bit of sanding down on the inside of the left and right tips in order to get the OEM plastic piece to fit in (the pieces that help attach the ends of the valance to the car). Other than that, install was fairly simple.
Loiacono Engineering CF Spoiler installed in early March
  • Removed the Rabbit lip spoiler in order to install. The new spoiler has gaps on the edges and around the middle that I'm not too happy about, but you don't really notice it until you get up close to it. Might need to move it forward a bit more but it won't look as flush on the end. Quality is pretty nice though.
OEM Audi Jack point pieces installed in March
  • Nothing fancy, but I did have to use a jack to shove one of the front pieces into the hole.
Nothing else new other than hanging a JDM Tsurikawa inside to rice it up a bit! I also just received a P3 gauge today which I should be installing tonight or tomorrow. Considering purchasing a TCR steering wheel too... on the fence with the CF wheels everyone is getting.

Lastly, I did end up getting a bad gouge on one of the rear HRE wheels, due to hitting a piece of metal debris on the highway at night as I was changing lanes. Really bummed me out but got it repaired. Not noticeable until you really look for it.

14d -1600px.jpg
14a -1600px.jpg
14b -1600px.jpg
14c -1600px.jpg