GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifter lubrication

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
As per the title, what kind of lubricant should I add to the shifter? I've heard people use spray on silicone grease on non-VWs but not sure if there is a specific one.

Planning to install the OEM short shifter (the one in the engine bay), it looks like there's some places where it should be lubricated for proper operation.

2018gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Autobahn MT
I personally used silicone paste (3M) to lube it. My concern was that the spray lube would wear off pretty quickly. Mine definitely came with a dark sort of grease on it from factory.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
VW specify a lubricant that's about $50. So I found out as much as I could about it and figured Superlube was the closest thing to it, so used that.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
You'll want to lubricate the u-shaped channel where the shift and relay lever contact each other. Just make sure to use grease with an appropriate heat range. Since you're in Canada, you'll want to find a grease with a heat range that goes well down in to the negatives and with an upper range of 200F or higher. That will cover the entire heat range that part will see so that the grease doesn't become gummy in the winter and doesn't get too thin or runny in the summer.

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Thanks for all the suggestions, only place that sells Superlube up here is Amazon. Might try something locally available like Permatex synthetic grease for the price point/size available.

neoupa2002

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Golf Wagon
Honda urea grease. It's the best for that. I did it back in 2017. It's still there, busy lubricating.

I completely forgot about this one, but man $33 CAD for a small tub is near robbery.

**1 week later edit: ended up calling my old Honda parts guy and got it at cost plus a tim hortons coffee (so $22)...going to tackle the shifter when i receive my new engine air filter

Last edited: