GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifter Alignment Help

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
I just noticed the other day that my shifter is not really in Neutral. When i put the care in 4th gear that seems to be the correct spot for Neutral not forth. I bought the care used and not sure if the person before me messed around with the adjustment. I had the dealer look at it but they really couldn't fix it. Anyone have any ideas on a fix for this? The car is fine when i go into each gear no issues just looks funny.

Cemetery

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
e36m/e46m/mk7r
I think it might be okay. The shifter seems to be kind of forward in this car. The first time i drove one i stalled it right off the bat because it was in fourth and thought it was in neutral.

mk7_bk

Autocross Champion
4th doesn't move [west <> east / north <> south] . To check if in neutral you will know from feel if the car is there by just moving around the knob. forth is "locked in" feel. Takes time and practice. I would suggest cycling through the gears a few times with the car off.

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
Can some post a picture of an overhead of the shifter in 3rd gear? Just want an idea of were mine stands?

Redmk7gti16

Ready to race!
This is my third gear, does this look right?

Attachments

• 059593CA-5FA2-41B5-BA1D-9F4F88CBB9EF.jpeg
    059593CA-5FA2-41B5-BA1D-9F4F88CBB9EF.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 292

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Go buy a 20 penny nail and follow the diesalgeek shifter alignment procedure on youtube.

The alignment would make it hard to get into gear, so the whole off center thing may be mental if the car is shifting smoothly.

CarolinaPanthers

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI 6mt
Maybe my car is whacked out too but from your picture everything look pretty good. If it shifts fine I wouldn’t be too concerned. If it wasn’t aligned properly, you’d definitely know.

Here’s my recommendation (keep in mind I’m a Dieselgeek fanboy and love spending other people’s money): get the dieselgeek shaft bushings, pick up their alignment tool, and re-align your shifter.

The stock shaft bushings are super mushy and can make it a little tricky to get a real good alignment. There are plenty of alignment videos out there; pick one that floats your boat.