GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift Knobs

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
So what is out there for DSG shift knobs? I currently have a BFI one, and not really too big a fan of it. The base of it is too skinny I guess? It just makes it look off.

View attachment 208723

Just not a fan of the thin base between the boot and the knob.

I'm a fan of golfball types (muh heritage), but if not golfball, it would have to be perforated leather.
Pretty much all the companies that make knobs for shifting have the adapters for the Automatics now, I like the way the stock one looks best on a automatic actually. Lol

The tiny shaft on BFI has always been my main complaint with thier design when incorporating to the shift boot, but honesty it don’t look bad to me on yours yeah it’s bunched up some and if you could figure a way to incorporate a raceseng or likewise boot ring it would be perfect.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Look at Sportshifters.com from the Netherlands. The base maybe smaller than you like, but the work he does is very quality. I got the kit for my 6sp.
The base is much bigger than the bfi and designed for a smooth transition of the boot unlike the bfi... sucks cause the golf ball design other than the shaft it’s really a great execution

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The base is much bigger than the bfi and designed for a smooth transition of the boot unlike the bfi... sucks cause the golf ball design other than the shaft it’s really a great execution
Do you have a BFI in your absurd collection? Any chance a BFI upper threads onto the SportShifter lower? I'm assuming this won't be possible, but would allow the golf ball upper on a normal size shaft.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Do you have a BFI in your absurd collection? Any chance a BFI upper threads onto the SportShifter lower? I'm assuming this won't be possible, but would allow the golf ball upper on a normal size shaft.
Nope, never got past the bfi shape to even entertain them.

And doubtful for sure everyone mills the threads to their own spec.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Is that piston style knob from euro impulse?
No, coolerworx.

It’s the one that comes with it, wouldn’t work with stock setup as it’s not threaded it’s got a counter sunk hole at the top that you bolt it down to the shaft.

9BBD9077-C932-4692-AF00-09DE40711607.jpeg

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
OK so I am about a month into my GT2 CF sport shifter know and I am absolutely in love. It did come lose a couple times and I had to use some loctite to secure it in place. Now it's the perfect height weight and feel.

I also purchased a Diesel Geek short shifter that I am supports to be installing Friday. Not I'm almost second guessing myself because I am so happy with the new feel. I will prob still go forward with the install since I have been really happy with Short shifters in the past but damn the change in feel for the better with just the knob has exceeded my expectations.

urtoinpo

Car(s)
2019 Variant 150 TSI
OK so I am about a month into my GT2 CF sport shifter know and I am absolutely in love. It did come lose a couple times and I had to use some loctite to secure it in place. Now it's the perfect height weight and feel.

I also purchased a Diesel Geek short shifter that I am supports to be installing Friday. Not I'm almost second guessing myself because I am so happy with the new feel. I will prob still go forward with the install since I have been really happy with Short shifters in the past but damn the change in feel for the better with just the knob has exceeded my expectations.
The GT2 is pretty darn good isn't it :cool: - I wasn't too sure at first, but now glad that I didn't flinch at the 'unnecessary' cost.
Surprised to read that you needed to use Loctite on the grub screws, mine's held fast for nearly 4 months now with no indication it's ever going to loosen.

Have you fitted it at 'stock' height? Although a definite improvement in gearchange over the both stock and GTi VW knob, I found mounting 22mm lower was the 'sweet spot' for me at least - the extra weight of the GT2 knob alters the balance of the mechanism.
It involved sawing that 22mm off the shaft, but no harm done as the knob can still be mounted at stock height or above if required.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The GT2 is pretty darn good isn't it :cool: - I wasn't too sure at first, but now glad that I didn't flinch at the 'unnecessary' cost.
Surprised to read that you needed to use Loctite on the grub screws, mine's held fast for nearly 4 months now with no indication it's ever going to loosen.

Have you fitted it at 'stock' height? Although a definite improvement in gearchange over the both stock and GTi VW knob, I found mounting 22mm lower was the 'sweet spot' for me at least - the extra weight of the GT2 knob alters the balance of the mechanism.
It involved sawing that 22mm off the shaft, but no harm done as the knob can still be mounted at stock height or above if required.

22 mm off the shaft would put the collar under the shift ring, right? That has to be at least two inches lower than stock. My GT1 is about half an inch from bottomed out and still about an inch and a quarter under stock height.

urtoinpo

Car(s)
2019 Variant 150 TSI
22 mm off the shaft would put the collar under the shift ring, right? That has to be at least two inches lower than stock. My GT1 is about half an inch from bottomed out and still about an inch and a quarter under stock height.
The 22mm, (less than an inch in old money) I lopped off the top of the shaft didn't impact on anything. The 3 grub screws
securing the knob are still within the knurled section of the shaft.
There is still quite a lot of scope, (shaft length left) to mount the knob higher-up if required. As the image shows, my GT2
knob is not set super-low and I wouldn't like it if it was.

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_095943.jpg
    IMG_20210205_095943.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The 22mm I lopped off the top of the shaft didn't impact on anything. The 3 grub screws securing the knob are still within the knurled section of the shaft.
There is still quite a lot of scope, (shaft length left) to mount the knob higher-up if required. As the image shows, my GT2 knob is not set super-low and I wouldn't like it if it was.
Okay, maybe the stock Golf shaft is just longer than the GTI. I just tested and I can bottom my GT1 against the reverse spring, so there wouldn't be any advantage to shortening the shaft.

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R

Yeah I'm not sure I tried screwing them in tight but not over doing it. I tried it twice. The first time I left the height somewhat similar, the second time I lowered it considerably to give that a try and it was not to my liking. The last time I used the loctite at what appears to be able the same height as what you have in your picture. Except I have the metal screw above the boot.

Probably user error on my behalf. Right now the feel is 10/10.

j255c

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R Manual
0B6FFE64-FC25-4A1D-B77D-4B5B2BE0475E.jpeg

urtoinpo

Car(s)
2019 Variant 150 TSI
Okay, maybe the stock Golf shaft is just longer than the GTI. I just tested and I can bottom my GT1 against the reverse spring, so there wouldn't be any advantage to shortening the shaft.
Yes, the shaft on a GTi must be shorter anyway - I'd almost forgotten the 'fake' GTi style knob I tried for a very short time did sit quite a bit higher.