GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift Knobs

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Not hardcore enough I'm afraid.....;) (as used on some VW Cup MK7.5 cars)

CAE Ultra Shifter VW Golf Mk 7 (hardmotorsport.com)

CAE | Short Shifter | Race Shifter | ALU Shifter | VW Golf 7 (cae-racing.de)

CAE | Short Shifter | Race Shifter | ALU Shifter | VW Golf (cae-racing.de)

CAE MK7 Golf Race shift.jpg

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
It’s close to as hardcore, minus the CAE price tag... just got a fancy trim to hide it.

Since I already had the diesel geek sigma, and solid endlinks and bracket, and I already had the custom trim right I was not willing to part with (won’t fit with CAE as you have to cut up the stock one to fit it)
it was a better move to go with cooler worx, it’s upgraded in the same manner.

90F1AF30-5D44-47A2-8093-EF1F7239CE3C.jpeg
C65CEF6E-3FE0-425D-8754-AFDBEBE4B344.jpeg

C95E63EC-9D9A-4CE0-87A1-B2533D08E01A.jpeg

B73B95C6-64C0-4A41-A2C3-163C457D7CC4.jpeg

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
It’s close to as hardcore, minus the CAE price tag... just got a fancy trim to hide it.

Since I already had the diesel geek sigma, and solid endlinks and bracket, and I already had the custom trim right I was not willing to part with (won’t fit with CAE as you have to cut up the stock one to fit it)
it was a better move to go with cooler worx, it’s upgraded in the same manner.

View attachment 206395View attachment 206397

Oh FECK......!!..😝

I just found their website......& in the EU.....(more money out possible project??...)....:censored:

COOLERWORX Short Shifter PRO VAG (02J, 02M, 02Q, MQ200, MQ250, MQ350) - Coolerworx short throw shifters

I've already done the Dieselgeek superpin & Delrin shaft bushes...& the 42DD solid bushes on the cable eyes, plus converted all the side to side & main levers (on top of gearbox) to metal using Audi TT shorter shift OEM parts.

Trouble is the stick might be a bit high for me......

VW & plastic, worst VAG gearchange I've ever had...!!!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Anyone see this before?

1615773680260.png

It's labeled "45th Anniversary" (which of course you have to take with a grain of salt), but the 45th edition is on the MK8 platform. I like the golf ball design; currently have the BFI GSB DSG golf ball knob, and just not a fan of it in general. Looking for alternatives.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

urtoinpo

Car(s)
2019 Variant 150 TSI
Treated myself to a 'Black Friday' bargain Sportshifters GT2 last year in preference to the similar BFI options
more often seen around the web. I had earlier tried a cheap fake GTi version off fleabay, but didn't get
along with the shape/feel of it - never mind the sub-standard quality.

The GT2 knob weighs-in at 301g, I initially installed it at 'stock' height and although an improvement over
both standard and GTi options, I experimented with 2 other different heights, (had to shorten the shift lever)
before finding the 'sweet spot', (for me anyway) of being set at 22mm lower.

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_095943.jpg
    IMG_20210205_095943.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 165

Jargon

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I recently purchased a knob from SportShifters. I did not like the appearance or the feel of the stock knob, and after seeing a pic of the SportShifters knob here, I decided to get one. I like the shorter, more substantial-feeling knob. One thing I did not like after the installation with the stock boot is that there was too much boot to go with the knob mounted lower down. Because I am a mentally disturbed person when it comes to cars, I was compelled to do something about it. I ended up taking the stock boot to a local auto upholstery shop (GS Auto Upholstery in Millersville, MD) so they could see what I have, and they basically made a leather replica that is two inches shorter. They did this for just $40! Now I am happy with my shift knob and boot!
I am currently waiting on a Knob from Sport Shifters. I was curious about peoples experience re-using the stock boot. I think I could live with the above for the time being but the bottom pic of course looks much better.

Maybe I will see how I feel about it and hit up GS Upholstery. They are only about an hour away from me.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
I am currently waiting on a Knob from Sport Shifters. I was curious about peoples experience re-using the stock boot. I think I could live with the above for the time being but the bottom pic of course looks much better.

Maybe I will see how I feel about it and hit up GS Upholstery. They are only about an hour away from me.
It looks like he set the knob as low as possible. Most people aren't going to do that. I initially installed my raceseng knob like that and I hated it. I didn't like how it looked, but I hated how it felt while driving even more. It just felt really awkward having the stick be that short and the boot only looks bad when you have the knob sit that low.

urtoinpo

Car(s)
2019 Variant 150 TSI
Horses for courses, I'm happy enough with the 'excess' of boot on mine - gives a visual
effect of the knob itself being mounted lower than it really is, which some may prefer.

The only thing I insisted on was that the boot's stitching remained straight, neatly met
with the bottom of the knob and would stay there. I'm pleased to report that so far,
(3 months) it has lived-up to expectations.

The main reason I chose Sportshifters over the otherwise similar BFI equivalent is that
after watching many an install on the net, I trusted more their method of affixing the
boot to the knob to more likely remain in place.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I have mine set almost at the bottom and the stock boot sits fine as far as I am concerned. Happy with the look.
Same. Looks fine to my eyes. I've had a number of cars with shorter shift lengths than this setup though, the stock height just seemed silly.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Long gearsicks are those people who are usually copying what they see in modern rally cars & others...

Unfortunately those cars usually have sequential gearboxes & only have one plane of movement i.e. forward & back..no side to side...