GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shift Knobs

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Well, that's one beautifully made product. Need to finally toss on my Bend-o-Matic 034 upper and lower dogbone mounts and off for a test drive.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Ok, I'm sold on this one! :love:
You won't be disappointed. Roy is great to deal with, and the install is super clean and well thought out. I did run a little blue LocTite just ensure I wouldn't need to pop the shift boot up again soon. And I got the idea from @El_bigote_AJ , big thanks to him for this one.

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion
You won't be disappointed. Roy is great to deal with, and the install is super clean and well thought out. I did run a little blue LocTite just ensure I wouldn't need to pop the shift boot up again soon. And I got the idea from @El_bigote_AJ , big thanks to him for this one.
Is there an installation guide available online?
Yep, @El_bigote_AJ has helped me out too. The three of us have good taste....

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Is there an installation guide available online?
Yep, @El_bigote_AJ has helped me out too. The three of us have good taste....
Roy sent me this today. Apparently they are sending out knobs with the base installed. So you just set the height where you want it, tighten the set screws, twist off the top of the knob, place the shift boot over the shaft and collar and then put the knob back on and tighten. Super easy.

I used a small screwdriver to open up the collar than holds the stock knob on, pried up the plastic tabs on the stock lower mount and slid it up to keep it easily replaceable. There are some good YouTube videos for how to get the stock one off, but it's kind of hard to conceptualize until you start doing it. In contrast, installing the Sport Shifter was something I could have let my five year old do.

Test drive done, between the shift knob, upper and lower 034 dogbone inserts, clutch stop, cdv delete, new fluids and spring removal, things finally shift well. Looking forward to driving my friends stock GTI once the 'Rona is over just to feel the difference. Be funny if it felt the same.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Looks good. I like that the boot does not bunch up at the base of the knob.
Yeah, a pleasant surprise. I was a little worried about that. It even has a lock ring to keep it from getting unaligned once you tighten it all up.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
@bentin @El_bigote_AJ i wasn't a fan of sphere shift knobs but i'm kinda diggin that...

I thought I was set on the GF4 from WC LatheWerks but not sure anymore.

https://www.lathewerks.com/sti-copolymer-gf4.html

https://www.lathewerks.com/gt350-hybrid-piston-shift-knob.html

https://www.lathewerks.com/supra-stainless-steel-piston.html

Thoughts?
I prefer that type of knob when I'm dealing with a high center tunnel and the shifter is set back a little, generally dealing with a direct shift and very short throws. Like an S2k, the R8 (my favorite shifter ever), or a Miata. When dealing with a floppy, cable operated system, I prefer a little more volume in the hand, since you're typically making longer movements and need a little more "steering" to each shift.

I can also see that the piston type would be nice on a tall setup like the STi or Evo. I'm sure it would work fine on the VW, I just liked the basic idea of the stock knob, but wanted it lower and less plasticky. Just a gratuitous shot:

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
R8 shifter is very very aesthetic indeed. That gate...
I had the pleasure of borrowing a friend's 328GTS for a few months. It wasn't particularly fast, but it sounded awesome and using the shifter was easily the best part. I probably shifted 3-4x more than necessary each time I drove it. My dad had a 330 GTC when I was a kid, I think the noise of that shifter clinking between gears is part of what got me interested in cars. I'll never own an automatic, just can't do it.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
@bentin @El_bigote_AJ i wasn't a fan of sphere shift knobs but i'm kinda diggin that...

I thought I was set on the GF4 from WC LatheWerks but not sure anymore.

https://www.lathewerks.com/sti-copolymer-gf4.html

https://www.lathewerks.com/gt350-hybrid-piston-shift-knob.html

https://www.lathewerks.com/supra-stainless-steel-piston.html

Thoughts?

are you asking my opinion of the looks? looks are so subjective...so for me i wouldn't install that in my mk7 GTI it was free,lol.

Last edited:

Jshinz24

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 SE MT
After lurking on this thread I have decided to go with Shortshifters GT2 Black/alcantara. I can’t wait to get it! Thanks @El_bigote_AJ for putting that idea out there :D. I was really on the fence about getting a new shift knob anyway because of the process itself. However, if I ever go back to stock I will just pick up one of the club sport knobs from e-ecca. I’m pumped, this stock knob is way too tall for me lol

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
After lurking on this thread I have decided to go with Shortshifters GT2 Black/alcantara. I can’t wait to get it! Thanks @El_bigote_AJ for putting that idea out there :D. I was really on the fence about getting a new shift knob anyway because of the process itself. However, if I ever go back to stock I will just pick up one of the club sport knobs from e-ecca. I’m pumped, this stock knob is way too tall for me lol
You can remove the stock knob in a manner that it can be reinstalled. It just takes a little more patience than the quicker method. Of course you can also get the whole kit from SportShifters and keep your stock knob, surround and boot.