GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sheared oil pan bolt thread

CaM413

Car(s)
2017 GTI
So I made a boo boo.
I was installing the steel oil pan from DAP and stripped one of the included bolts. No biggie I'll just use one of the stock bolts. I was torquing away at the bolt with my wrench when a piece of aluminum came falling down. I failed to realize that the stock bolts are longer than the aftermarket ones, it was literally the last bolt I was working on.
Screenshot_20210425-171628.jpg

I filled the car up with oil and ran it for a bit, no leaks that I can see.

How screwed am I?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Not that it helps OP at this point, but plastic pan and the metal pans with silicone have different torque pattern and specs. The plastic is pretty simple follow the bolts around, but due to the silicone the metal pans have a pretty intricate torque pattern. They also don't get torqued down as hard as you're not compressing a gasket. 8nm + 45 degree turn, plastic is 8nm + 90 degree turn.

Pattern and instructions for metal pans:
1619570688214.png

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Never understood why people want to swap the stock pan for a leaking ass metal pan...
I'll tell ya when my shop does it this Friday for me. Totally functional too. Already bottomed out on my plastic pan already, but it's solely due to where my OCR races have me drive and park.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
So I made a boo boo.
I was installing the steel oil pan from DAP and stripped one of the included bolts. No biggie I'll just use one of the stock bolts. I was torquing away at the bolt with my wrench when a piece of aluminum came falling down. I failed to realize that the stock bolts are longer than the aftermarket ones, it was literally the last bolt I was working on.View attachment 211535
I filled the car up with oil and ran it for a bit, no leaks that I can see.

How screwed am I?
Holy crap.....why am I seeing the bolt on the OUTSIDE of the upper pan??? oh wow....

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Never understood why people want to swap the stock pan for a leaking ass metal pan...

I replaced my plastic pan with a metal one when it cracked/got destroyed/left me stranded from an impact that happened 20,000 miles ago... I have had no issues with the metal replacement so far. My guess is that people just install them wrong.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
I replaced my plastic pan with a metal one when it cracked/got destroyed/left me stranded from an impact that happened 20,000 miles ago... I have had no issues with the metal replacement so far. My guess is that people just install them wrong.
That’s pretty much fucking it right here. Imagine installing it wrong and having the audacity to say it’s a shitty mod cuz it leaks

AceHammer

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 A3
IMO i'd try out the metal belly pan from ecs before switching to a metal oil pan. Figured if you hit something hard enough to punch through that it wouldn't matter if your pan was plastic or steel.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
IMO i'd try out the metal belly pan from ecs before switching to a metal oil pan. Figured if you hit something hard enough to punch through that it wouldn't matter if your pan was plastic or steel.
The Aluminum street shield skit plate?
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...1Jx43zCHNUerCHLXb7vkd03E2AkRNy-AaArKhEALw_wcB

Metal oil pan kit with hardware and silicone is like $60, so $230 is a bit of a jump. For me though the shield won't fit my car, 4motion GSW only. I've already dented the transmission pan and swapped that, so figure a metal oil pan is cheap insurance.
https://www.urotuning.com/products/steel-oil-pan-conversion-kit-mk7-a3-s3-1-8t-2-0t-06j103600af-mqb?currency=USD&variant=12529439572023&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwsqmEBhDiARIsANV8H3bdU4i4PkFSFtPJxxtBNMDwHxaPCiY857-TTynWi6kU5MVa2aCKrkgaAoKmEALw_wcB#collapse-tab5
Plus some of the shields you can't run with FMICs and such, so it just kinda depends on individual setup.