GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

shaking/wobble help needed

eug4611

Car(s)
mk7 gti golf
hi guys,
long time reader first time poster here,

i have had my 2015 mk7 gti for 3 years now and love it to bits but recently it has started shaking when driving round 50/70 mph (not massive shakes but definitely wasnt there before) i cant feel it through steering wheel unless i slightly turn the wheels when going in a straight line. now the more worrying thing i feel is when going round roundabouts/ long corners with quite a bit of turn on the wheels there is a strong wobble that does transfer through the steering wheel. i have had it checked over with local vw garage but of course the tech couldnt feel anything wrong, he did however check all bushes and driveshafts and still said he could find no fault aand it would comfortably pass its mot.

so i ask has anyone ever experienced anything like this before and if so what was the cause and did you manage to get to the bottom of it.

thanks for reading and really hope someone can help me out here.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Are the alloy wheels aftermarket?

eug4611

Car(s)
mk7 gti golf
yes bought from cm wheels after lots of research from fellow forum members had bought and given good reviews, wanted to change from standard tbh. they were fitted with brand new michelin ps4 tires and if i remember correctly it was doing it a little before the wheels were changed. i have also changed pads and discs all round to a drilled and grooved set up as i thought the issue maybe had something to do with the discs being absolutely knackered.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Its most likely the spigot rings in the alloy wheels which are too short..this allowing the spigot ring to slip behind the olive ring on the hub flange causing the alloy to be slightly off centre from the bolts when you tighten them up..

eug4611

Car(s)
mk7 gti golf
thanks for your suggestions and replies golfdave but there are no spigot rings on the alloys as they are machined so that they do not need spigot rings and fit the hub precisely. 65.1mm if i remember right

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I'd jack each one up undo the bolts & re-do them up star pattern to the correct torque..maybe also remove & look at the mating faces for dirt etc..