GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Set me straight on the MK7's Reliability

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
i think comparing maintenance of a GTI vs regular cookie cutter cars is an incorrect comparison and results wont tell you what youre looking for. a better comparison would be maintenance of a GTI vs SI vs FoST(i would include wrx but i think it being awd might make maintenance costs different?)

OMG this thread just keeps getting better. Now a GTI isn't a regular car. Now I have heard everything

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
My step dad buys his son all his cars (spoiled piece of garbage child, but i digress):
His first car was a Passat. Engine literally exploded. Second was a CC which was good, but he totaled it. Now his dad has bought him a 3rd car (mk6 GTI 6MT) and he's been in and out of the shop with it.

Sounds like this kid beats the crap out of his cars without letting them warm up first and puts his foot thru the floor every time he drives. I feel bad for his cars. Don't be like this kid.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I think we just saw yours.

Just to get this straight we can't have a debate and what you state as fact is the end of subject, period!

Ok, think I got it now............:rolleyes:

I never said you couldnt have a debate, or what I say is final. The things I posted are facts, not opinions. I addressed the points in the comment because I thought that emotions were getting in the way. You both had valid points, you both had invalid points, as I'm sure I do as well. I am not admitting I know all. I merely condensed the issues that were being debated into line items with no opinion or animosity.

The things I said in my post are still up for discussion, but the personal attacks and calling people stupid were not called for IMO

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
Sounds like this kid beats the crap out of his cars without letting them warm up first and puts his foot thru the floor every time he drives. I feel bad for his cars. Don't be like this kid.

Kids are stupid I remember this one guy bought a car from a family member who told him it didn't burn any oil. You can trust family members in the literal sense so he proceeded to drive it till the engine seized because you know it doesn't burn any oil so you never need to check it.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
The gen 3 ea888 has proven to be a very good motor. Look how many models it is used in VAG’s lineup. Besides early bad turbo’s and missing main seal bolts (manuals) they are pretty solid cars. No car is perfect nor bullet proof. I’ve been in a lot of other platforms that had far worse reliability and build quality.

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!

Another time this guy is putting on his third power steering pump. This is an old car no serpentine belt. So he's got a hockey stick using it as a lever to pull it tight. His father told him about this trick. So he's like I'll pull it tight and he's asking me to tighten the bolt. You should have seen it with all his might and I'm like hmmm I think I know why you keep going through power steering pumps.

And another guy put in I forget how many batteries. It might have been like three or four and we are looking at his car and it's like ah you know I think your problem is you don't have an alternator belt.

adam1991

Banned
I didn't bring up drag racing

In response to, "Seems like a performance car to me," your answer was--and I quote--

The official 0-60 is something like 5.7 sec. There are many SUV's that can beat that. My neighbor has a Mercedes GLE that is a 0-60 in 5.5 sec that is the regular one not AMG.

So your definition of "performance" is "which one would win the drag race"?

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
In response to, "Seems like a performance car to me," your answer was--and I quote--

So your definition of "performance" is "which one would win the drag race"?

Are you trying to annoy the annoyer? You're pretty annoying I'll give you that. An expert if I may dare say. Kudos to you dear sir

neildorrel

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit DSG
My 2016 GTI S with APR Stage 1 has about 32,000 miles, never a problem of any kind, runs absolutely like new. Love this thing!

My first new car ever was an '85 GTI. Drove that thing like I stole it for 90,000 miles with never a problem. They're great cars.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
72K on the clock now and just over 3 years old.

1 repair under warranty, the rest have been upgrades.

After 70K all highway miles though, the suspension is done. Squeaks and rattles like nothing I have ever had before, and starting to get some bounce. Replacing with BC coils.