imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Attachments

• hUNAo.jpg
    hUNAo.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 736

KlipZ

Ready to race!
15,555 mi as i parked at work this morning and so far no problems (knock on wood.)

That said, i'm a bit nervous about my car as it ages and i'll give me anecdotal evidence:

Step dad has exclusively driven Audi for 20+ years, he seems to never have major problems other than the occasional volume knob breaking or start button cracking. I think he's had a few minor mechanical jobs done throughout the years, but he typically buys used with ~30k miles on and dumps it off after 4 years, adding maybe another 30k.

My mom has a 2015 Toureg. No issues with it thus far just over 45k miles. Although the car "shudders" when you start it. I told her to look at it, step-dad claims its fine.

My step dad buys his son all his cars (spoiled piece of garbage child, but i digress):
His first car was a Passat. Engine literally exploded. Second was a CC which was good, but he totaled it. Now his dad has bought him a 3rd car (mk6 GTI 6MT) and he's been in and out of the shop with it. It's currently leaking oil all over the damn place, but the kid has no responsibility to get it fixed unless dad is going to pay for it. Our driveway is fucked.

TL;DR - From my experience, the higher end VW and Audi models seem to be pretty good. The low end VW models seem to be spotty. I literally had the GM at the VW where i bought my GTI tell me he would never buy any VW car but a GTI/R. Hoping i have a good one.

Lets keep in mind, however, that you can go to any car's forums and find people bitching about problems. We're the vocal minority on the forums. There's maybe 100 people here that post consistently. There tens of thousands of GTI's and VW's on the road.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Then any car is a performance car

Your response is just dumb....not every car can make 400whp with a few thousand in mods, have a great interior, and drive great

TroyC1

Theres an argument because you all have dicks that are too big for your pants so you feel the need to swing em around in each others faces.

Facts:
Maintenance costs more on a GTI than an average car. It's German.

All cars have some issues. You will never buy or drive a car that doesn't need repairs at some point.

The GTI is considered a performance car, while also being economical.

If you use throttle control, you wont spin the tires. Any lightweight, FWD car with a decent amount of torque and tires that don't stick will have some slip if you give'er'wah.

Different tires, different roads, different wheels, different cars, will all have different levels of road noise. Some people have more tolerance than other to sound. For example, I'm sitting here having an aneurysm because the maintenance department has a heavy trigger finger on the high pressure air blowoff tool, and my coworker sitting next to me couldn't care less.

Now put your dicks away. You look foolish and nobody else wants to see them.
When you say "maintenance costs more on a VW," can you give me a comparison for common repairs (or point me to a website that does?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I got into a huge argument with my parents on what car i was going to buy (they are die hard honda fans) and in the end i decided fuck it, its my money. theres more to a car to me than just having a reliable tool used for transportation. which is why they see hondas/toyotas as the optimal car. The maintenance is a bit more expensive than regular commuter cars but i think its the german parts that are expensive, not the labor. Performance cars cost more to maintain in general, theres no way around it. the GTI is a performance car. period. Its not the top of the top like 911s but it is performance by blood. to provide an affordable performance car for the average joe. ever since mk1. i dont care what the other user here said, and im not going to argue with it, cause his logic of any 400whp car is a performance car is idiotic beyond repair.

FYI i am about 30,000kms now, just recently went uni s2, had jb4 for about 10,000kms before, everything fine.

VW does generally have a bad rep with reliability and i believe some of it for the most part but the motors with the most mileage ive seen are all VWs so im not too sure what to believe lol. maybe they can last forever but repairs costs a lot?

BASICALLY, YOU GOTTA PAY TO PLAY. i understood the risks, and imo it was a worthwhile compromise to having a nice quick, mature-looking, practical, canyon carving car. IMHO most of the opinions of people having bad luck with ANY car comes from those who neglect the car and fail to maintain it.

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
I don't think maintenance cost that much more on GTI compared to other cars, maybe just added DSG service...let's see:

-every 10k or yearly oil change
-every 20k cabin filter change
-every 40k DSG service
-every 60k spark plugs (may have changed this to 40k intervals for new models)
-every 60k engine air filter
-every 10k tire rotation
-every 2 yeras brake flush (first one after 3 years)

I don't buy this stigma that it's maintenance intensive because it's German and unless you maintain it religiously it will fall apart.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
When you say "maintenance costs more on a VW," can you give me a comparison for common repairs (or point me to a website that does?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I would check differences on auto parts websites. Common maintenance to me include things like brakes pads, wheel bearings, bushings etc. For example, full car brake pad replacement on my Camry costs me 50ish dollars, while on the GTI costs me around 90 bucks. Thats based on prices for OEM replacement parts from O-reilly. I can't say for sure if the prices are that big a difference between other popular hot hatches but when I say "normal cars" I mean cookie cutter, run of the mill sedans that you see all over the streets. I also didn't specify "maintenance costs more on a VW", I specified GTI since I'm sure the Jetta base model parts are cheaper than the GTI equivalents

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I don't think maintenance cost that much more on GTI compared to other cars, maybe just added DSG service...let's see:

-every 10k or yearly oil change
-every 20k cabin filter change
-every 40k DSG service
-every 60k spark plugs (may have changed this to 40k intervals for new models)
-every 60k engine air filter
-every 10k tire rotation
-every 2 yeras brake flush (first one after 3 years)

I don't buy this stigma that it's maintenance intensive because it's German and unless you maintain it religiously it will fall apart.

You're forgetting every day things that break and wear out/rust. I was talking parts in general, not the scheduled services.

Camry spark plugs, OEM set for 6 cylinder engine - $17.52
GTI OEM Spark plugs for 4 cylinder engine - $67.96

Last edited:

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
I would check differences on auto parts websites. Common maintenance to me include things like brakes pads, wheel bearings, bushings etc. For example, full car brake pad replacement on my Camry costs me 50ish dollars, while on the GTI costs me around 90 bucks. Thats based on prices for OEM replacement parts from O-reilly. I can't say for sure if the prices are that big a difference between other popular hot hatches but when I say "normal cars" I mean cookie cutter, run of the mill sedans that you see all over the streets. I also didn't specify "maintenance costs more on a VW", I specified GTI since I'm sure the Jetta base model parts are cheaper than the GTI equivalents

i think comparing maintenance of a GTI vs regular cookie cutter cars is an incorrect comparison and results wont tell you what youre looking for. a better comparison would be maintenance of a GTI vs SI vs FoST(i would include wrx but i think it being awd might make maintenance costs different?)

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
i think comparing maintenance of a GTI vs regular cookie cutter cars is an incorrect comparison and results wont tell you what youre looking for. a better comparison would be maintenance of a GTI vs SI vs FoST(i would include wrx but i think it being awd might make maintenance costs different?)

In the post i was referencing, I was comparing to "average cars" were my original words. I agree with you on all points though, it would be more fair to compare to a SI or ST, and STI most would be similar but the AWD throws a little extra in there.

I think the original goes as stated though, the GTI is reliable as long as you take care of it, as are all cars. Usually when comparing reliability, most normal consumers would compare to one of these "average cars" unless they are specifically targeting a sports car, which is why I went down the route of comparing to cookie cutter cars.