GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Servicing

The last time my car advised it needed serviced I arranged to have National (http://www.national.co.uk/) do the oil filter and change as it seemed to be a hassle. This was done at a reasonable price, just wondered everyone's thoughts on the oil they use. They told me it was VW approved, it's Titan GTI Pro-C3 5w30 XTL. Here's a link for the oil http://www.fuchslubricants.com/titan-gt1-pro-c-3-sae-5w-30-xtl

I then ordered and changed the fuel filter, air filter and cabin filter myself. Is there anything I missed that a dealer would have done?

I'm in the UK and any other car's I've had there has been no benefit having the service book up to date when I trade the car in so I'd rather do it (most of it) myself then I actually know it's done.

Another quick question, how often do you all change the oil ?

Last edited:

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
Probably best fro0 eventual sale to have nice, neat row of stamps in the service book. Me, I'd change the oil myself anyway at least once a year. 2 3/4 years in I'm at 19k, car used a disgraceful 50 miles or so per week ( I know) it's on PCP, VW not bothered so neither am I, not my car not my oil. If it were my car & I was buying to keep the oil + filter would be changed every 5k miles .....

Probably best fro0 eventual sale to have nice, neat row of stamps in the service book. Me, I'd change the oil myself anyway at least once a year. 2 3/4 years in I'm at 19k, car used a disgraceful 50 miles or so per week ( I know) it's on PCP, VW not bothered so neither am I, not my car not my oil. If it were my car & I was buying to keep the oil + filter would be changed every 5k miles .....

It will be traded in to the dealer when I get a new one, my brother bought a brand new Ford and was told by the dealer if he has it serviced there and the book stamped they would guarantee him £500 extra ! Costs more for the services !!

It doesn't seem an easy task changing the oil myself, by the time I buy the oil and filter it's more expensive than me paying to have it done at National !

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Personally for a new car I'd like to see dealer service stamps, after the warranty period or after the first two years I don't care so long as the work was done using the correct parts etc.