GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Servicing the VAQ Haldex on our PPs

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Yes, as per VW, temperature is important. You’ll also want the car to be level.

20-40 degrees Celsius
69-104 degrees Fahrenheit

G 060 175 A2 high performance Haldex oil is what you want to use.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Clean haldex screen as well. 0CQ598305 is the kit to replace the seals and bolts.

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI
Clean haldex screen as well. 0CQ598305 is the kit to replace the seals and bolts.
Can u be more specific ? Not sure what is the screen and what kit you are referring to?
I saw a kit on shopdap with the fluid and 2 bolts and a fill funnel. Isn’t that it ?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7

Hotfart

Ready to race!
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think OP is asking about the GTI performance pack front diff (VAQ/Haldex). Seems like the others are talking about the Golf R Haldex fluid change. I'm unaware of any screen to clean or seals to replace on the GTI's VAQ diff.

OP, if you have an OBD11 or VAGCOM, you can display the diff fluid temperature. I just followed ShopDAPs video:

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think OP is asking about the GTI performance pack front diff (VAQ/Haldex). Seems like the others are talking about the Golf R Haldex fluid change. I'm unaware of any screen to clean or seals to replace on the GTI's VAQ diff.

OP, if you have an OBD11 or VAGCOM, you can display the diff fluid temperature. I just followed ShopDAPs video:
The same pump and housing is there in the video and has the same filter but it seems that the VAQ screen does not clog as fast with normal use so some might skip it.

VAQ Diff service | SEATCupra.net Forums

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
GTI's PP "VAQ" differential also uses a Haldex pump. Once removed, there is a screen filter which can be inspected and cleaned, the walkthrough above is the general process for the Golf R but is similarly applicable here. Some do skip this as the build up is not as significant as with a Golf R, but if you're already there you may as well inspect it.

Well written post by @golfdave all about the VAQ differential: https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-the-vw-golf-gti-performance-pack-pp-“front-differential-lock”-vaq-works.351185/

PP-FDL-no1 reduced.jpg

Last edited:

art_mark7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mark 7 GTI

Thank you for pointing that out. I was like that’s Golf R diff in that vortex link.

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Thank you for pointing that out. I was like that’s Golf R diff in that vortex link.

Yeap totally is! The VAQ electronic differential found on the MK7 is a slightly modified version of VW's 4MOTION Haldex AWD system and some of the Audi Quattro Haldex applications (which are not true AWD, just as VAQ is not a true limited slip differential). Instead of slip detected/transfer of power to the rear (4MOTION/some Quattro applications), when slip is detected (VAQ), transfer of power happens only in the front to the wheel that is slipping less. However, when the locking torque capability of the Haldex system is exceeded (on a MK7 this happens to some degree at the stock power level), your open differential (not limited slip) begins controlling the power. This is the point of failure/result of traction issues IN ALL THREE SYSTEMS (some Quattro applications, not all). People will argue they have no traction problems with their cars (even people without VAQ and just an open differential), they're clueless. Even RS3's with modified Haldex systems (upgraded clutches/performance controller software) have traction issues that result in people adding true limited slip differentials in the rear (where the power goes once the RS3's Haldex puts it there).

Last edited:

Hotfart

Ready to race!
That's good info. I haven't ran across anyone talking about cleaning the VAQ pump screen until this thread (that or I overlooked the info), but it does makes sense. Learn something new everyday and all that. I recently changed my VAQ fluid at ~20K miles, and by the sounds of things I should be good since the screen apparently doesn't clog as easily as the Golf R Haldex. However, I'll definitely check the screen next time I change the fluid.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
This is the page from the ERWIN manual/self study guide which states the differences between the Haldex unit on the AWD (Alltrack/R) & the one which acts as the VAQ unit on GTI-PP...

SSFDL-reduced.jpg

sovietsky19

Go Kart Champion
At how many miles is the vaq on PP GTI need to serviced? 30k miles?

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
As the self study guide above suggests, every 3 years regardless of mileage.

3 years or 30,000 miles (whichever comes first) is the recommendation for the AWD Haldex unit (Volkswagen/Audi). I'd say this is also a safe bet for the VAQ Haldex unit. However, If VAQ is being engaged a lot (a lot meaning - track, aggressive driving, launching, romping around in inclement weather), I'd consider doing it more often. I have read (not official sources) that the VAQ unit sees less wear in general than the AWD unit, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

(see bottom)

1610048372052.png

1610048263340.png