GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Service price (engine oil, state inspection, etc) is hugely different by dealerships?

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
I recently visited a dealer service that I was not usually visit simply because there was not available time within a couple of days in the service I usually go.

And I noticed that they charged about $100 for labor only on top of the engine oil and state inspection prices.

Previously, I paid about $120 for engine oil change and inspection, but this time the price was $230 because of that labors.

I don't understand why they charge such an amount. How they could charge $50 for labor for state inpection.. lol. Is this normal?

I am in PA around Easton, and there are two VW dealers though I don't want to which one is which..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It doesn't seem fair but each dealership is run as an independent business and sets their own prices.

berserker6

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
You could save some on the price by changing your own oil. I just did my first oil extraction and didn't spill a drop and was done in just a few minutes. Just a thought

SPLR337

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019/1997 GTI
You could save some on the price by changing your own oil. I just did my first oil extraction and didn't spill a drop and was done in just a few minutes. Just a thought
And if you use FCP Euro, you can return the old oil in exchange for new for no cost. I believe shipping still applies though.

RuffledJersey

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 S DSG
For something like an oil change, always check the dealership website and https://www.vwserviceandparts.com for service coupons.

And if you use FCP Euro, you can return the old oil in exchange for new for no cost. I believe shipping still applies though.
Some people have reported that you can take advantage of PayPal’s return credit if you pay for your oil using it.

infiniteend

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
I do this. I pay a local NYC mechanic to do it so it's a bit pricier for labor but at least I'm not paying for oil.

I don't understand why they charge such an amount. How they could charge $50 for labor for state inpection.. lol. Is this normal?

not sure how it is in PA but in NY, you're not allowed to charge extra for inspection iirc. they're the same at every station

KOR_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI
Thanks all.

Unfortunately I am not in the situation that I can do oil change for myself. I found that the price for oil change was increased from ~$70 to ~$90 from the link that @RuffledJersey provided.

One thing that I noticed is that the dealership used 6 QT for engine oil, which should be 5 QT. I asked them and got refunded, but still not sure about what is state inspection labor.

pinyin

Car(s)
21 GTI SE DSG
Thanks all.

Unfortunately I am not in the situation that I can do oil change for myself. I found that the price for oil change was increased from ~$70 to ~$90 from the link that @RuffledJersey provided.

One thing that I noticed is that the dealership used 6 QT for engine oil, which should be 5 QT. I asked them and got refunded, but still not sure about what is state inspection labor.

an oil extraction is different though. you buy an extractor from Harbor Freight or Amazon, stick the tube in the dipstick hole, and it sucks the oil out of the pan. no need for jacks, ramps, jackstands. all you need to do is open your hood. the oil filter housing is a 32' socket. MK7 are a breeze to change the oil. you can do it right on the street even if you live in a more urban section of lehigh valley.

what dealer charged you $50 for the inspection, Young or Ciocca? Young charged me $0 for the state inspection. When I brought my Audi to Ciocca for a recall they tried to tell me it needed thousands in unnecessary repairs. their entire profit margin is based on their service department. it's a nice service department with many good tech's and service advisors, but they obviously have to keep the cars rolling in all day to keep the bankroll flowing.

an oil change on our gen3 ea888 is actually 5.7 quarts, not 5.