GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Serious question regarding a "friend's" wedding

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
So I am in college now, and I have a friend that lives in my apartment building that I have known for about a year. Not a great friend, he loves asking me for things, but very often does not come through when I need something (like when I had to pick up my car from a shop at a specific time, and if i did not I would not be able to pick it up for another week and have to pay storage) he said he was busy and went to Foot Locker instead. But he had no problem asking me to take him to pick up his car at 8am on a Saturday morning. Thats just one example.
Now for the wedding he asked me to be a groomsman (1 of 8) and i was surprised so i thought i would go. For the wedding he has not been very good at organizing, he is trying to pinch every penny he can at other people's expense, like im 20 years old, i cant rent a car and the hotel is 45 mins from the airport, and mind you most ppl that are going are under 25 and cant rent a car either, and he has no way or suggestion on how to get to the hotel.
When i started tallying up the costs I am up to almost $700 for just flight, hotel, tux rental. That does not include any food, airport to hotel transportation or a gift. It will easily be $1,000 for this weekend, and i have to miss a day of work.
Not to make it about money, but I started to think about the past and realized that if the positions were swapped he would NOT go to my wedding if it would cost him this much money or even effort. Part of me thinks he invited me so that he could get a good gift, I am fortunate and he knows that, he thinks because of that I will buy him a gift like a vacation for a week (i am not kidding, he actually was talking to me and mentioned that would be a great wedding gift). So i would not pass it by him that he invited me to be a part of the wedding for that reason.
If i were to say "I cannot afford to go and give you a gift, I can either go or just buy you a gift" he would want to chose the gift.

The wedding is in just over 2 months and as of now I am supposed to be going, but I don't think I want to drop $1k for a weekend for a friend that wouldnt do the same for me,

What do you guys think

(and yes i know, car forums arent places to ask for real advice but hopefully someone will respond with good comments)
Thanks

julito04

I plead the fif.
Car(s)
08 WRX Limited
OMG Its xxForgedxx but black! LMAO. You heard my opinion yesterday.

Scharf

Fuck no, your friend is a dumbass.

MKvUltra

I'm chasing perfection
Car(s)
your mom
I would not go... $1000 for a weekend is way too expensive considering this is a friend you met one year ago. Plus no way from the airport to the hotel is a no go, give him a ultimatum that he must provide transportation to and from the airport because if there is no way of getting a ride to the hotel you will be spending your weekend at the airport

GTI6120

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2008 GTI, 08 A3
This guy is not your friend. If I were you and you want to be polite, tell him the truth. Tell him you cannot afford this wedding and if he really wants you to be in it, he'll have to pay for it.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
honestly, I can afford to go, but i am to the point where i think he is asking too much.

MkVBlkMgc

Wir wollen lebensraum!
Car(s)
'08 GTI DSG
Friendships should be about reciprocity. The one you describe has none. He is using you for his convenience/avarice. Do not go, and give only a modest gift.

JDraft

architectural draftsman
Car(s)
07 BMP 6mt GTI 2dr
If I were you, I would not go. Tell him the only way that you will go is if his fiance gives you a bj before the wedding. Tell him you'll even provide her with a pearl necklace so she won't have to buy one.

KingOfJericho

Go Kart Champion
Kid's a douche. Don't go and most people really want money for a gift so you should give him a plate from Tiffany's or something which you know will piss him off but in a back-handed kind of way.

SoNgMaN

I Void Warranties
Car(s)
2010 4dr UG TDI HL
Kid's a douche. Don't go and most people really want money for a gift so you should give him a plate from Tiffany's or something which you know will piss him off but in a back-handed kind of way.

this solution is the one.