GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Selling car, remove APR tune?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Private party sell it, you'll get more for doing so anyways. And be honest - inform the buyer it's tuned (or has been) so there's no surprises if they take it to the dealer for a warranty repair. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone who wants a tuned GTI
Next August my 2015 will officially be out of warranty, but either way not looking to sell it, I was just curious. I probably wont sell the car for a while ;)

caleb.mk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 DSG
When I traded in my GTI, the dealership had me sign a document that agreed that the vehicle had been not modified for race.

So you might be committing fraud if you trade it in and not tell anyone... ?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
When I traded in my GTI, the dealership had me sign a document that agreed that the vehicle had been not modified for race.

Wow never heard of that before! What was the outcome?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Well yeah...if they ask you or you sign something, that's a different story....they have you by the balls there

If not...it's their fault for not asking, I guess?

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Well yeah...if they ask you or you sign something, that's a different story....they have you by the balls there

If not...it's their fault for not asking, I guess?
So let's say you are selling the car to a dealer, previously tuned but now back to stock. They ask you to sign this agreement, but you explain that you were previously tuned. What would they say next?, are they less likely to buy it?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If the language of whatever you might be signing asks if the car -is- modified.

That's different than asking if the car -was- modified.

If you returned it to stock you can tell them no it isn't modified, but you can't necessarily tell them it wasn't.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

Technically a tune doesn't mean that it's modified for racing. But I would still tell them to avoid any potential liability.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Certainly true, although that's very unlikely. I'd think only the truly unlucky or unlikable could find themselves in litigation.

That would be a very expensive penalty for not just telling them that it has a tune.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Certainly true, although that's very unlikely. I'd think only the truly unlucky or unlikable could find themselves in litigation.

I agree, but it would suck if it happened. Kinda why we wear seatbelts.

Especially if you lost and had to pay the legal fees of the other party.

That would be a very expensive penalty for not just telling them that it has a tune.

^ This. Besides, selling privately with full disclosure would net you more money.

If you’re going to mod a car it’s more work to remove items or sell.

Just a price you pay.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
So let's say you are selling the car to a dealer, previously tuned but now back to stock. They ask you to sign this agreement, but you explain that you were previously tuned. What would they say next?, are they less likely to buy it?
Every car I've had that was tuned, I always put it back to the stock tune. But I wasn't signing anything saying it was modified or anything either...that signature (like the one guy said he had to do) could come back to bite you...if you lied

i.e. new owner takes it in for service and finds out it's TD1 and then goes after the dealer

Loopy

Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
If you flash back to stock (and it has not been previously flagged TD1 for some reason) then they can’t detect the flash And they have no reason to do a forensic examination. In most cases your car will disappear from the dealer to a wholesaler and never been seen again. A lot of the apocryphal TD1 stories are from people left the tune on their car during services (Including the RS7 guy).