GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Selling a modded car to carvana/vroom/etc

trashb0y

Ready to race!
Does anyone have experience selling a modded car to vroom/carvana/whatever online car buy/sellers?
I have a 2017 GTI Sport with 41k miles on it, have been thinking about selling it for getting something like a forester/outback. The mods arent anything crazy, but it would take a while to return the car to stock and I don't know if I'd want to take time putting it back to stock. The list includes
  • APR Stage 1
  • APR Intake
  • Muffler delete
  • Resonator replaced
  • Wheels (I have the stock wheels)
  • Bilstein B14 Coilovers
  • Golf R Euro Headlight swap (not replicas, OEM with modules/ballast replaced with EU equivalents)
  • 7.5 tails (not replicas, OEM)
Would I really be better off putting it back to stock and trying to sell it? What do you guys think is a reasonable price to take for this car, whether from a private party or one of the online retailers?
Thanks.

EDIT: as an update, vroom offered me $19,192 for the car.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
Aftermarket parts don’t add value especially to a big box company. Take off what you can and sell it.

vw_s

Ready to race!
Car(s)
vw
from what I have read, vroom and carvana will both show up and put your car on a truck and drive away. I would remove the APR stage 1 and intake at a minimum, but I doubt anyone would even notice anything else.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
You’d probably get $5k more if you got a quote as a stock car.

trashb0y

Ready to race!
thanks for the input guys. if anything, i'll probably just take the intake/coilovers/wheels off, since i think they will sell for a decent amount. does 19k sound fair for the car? i believe it was around 30k when i purchased it from the dealer.

CoryJo

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
mk7 gti autobahn pp
Sounds reasonable. I got an offer of $24k for a stock 18SE with half the warranty remaining.
for what its worth, i had 2 offers for my autobahn '17. 23k and 24k. 50k miles. this was last week through vroom and carmax.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
I got a carmax offer for 19.2 on a stock 17 GTI S with 51k miles. If I put my car back to stock and sold the mods, I would net about 2.5k. So 21.7k total.

Bought my car for 21.9k in Sept 2017. Tempting.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Fold it up and tuck it in there. Or hide it somewhere lol
Sticky note on the glass of the visor mirror. Doubt they'll open it, but owner will