GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Selector shaft gets stuck

sexieringlasses

Just installed a new shifter, and i noted that the selector shaft gets stuck in the up position. I guess the weight of the stock bracket that sits on the shaft was enough to push it back down, but the after market is too light? This makes the shifter not return to center when I move it right. Any ideas how to fix this?

Last edited:

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
I'd suggest not embedding links into text, that's what phishers do to get around the filter.

It's just some streamable video links and proper formatting...

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Did you align the shifter assembly properly? EX: lock cable ends open, lock shift lever using the shift lock, pin gear stick in alignment position, unlock cable ends, unlock shift lever, unpin gear stick from alignment hole

sexieringlasses

Did you align the shifter assembly properly? EX: lock cable ends open, lock shift lever using the shift lock, pin gear stick in alignment position, unlock cable ends, unlock shift lever, unpin gear stick from alignment hole
yep properly adjusted the cable ends. the selector shaft also gets stuck up with nothing on it. I think the problem was hidden with the stock setup because the weight of it brought it back down to the middle.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
yep properly adjusted the cable ends. the selector shaft also gets stuck up with nothing on it. I think the problem was hidden with the stock setup because the weight of it brought it back down to the middle.
Looks like the shaft is sticking when you press it down also, based off of your videos. You may want to remove the selector shaft and lubricate it, then re-install it.

It's very easy to do, just remove the relay lever (sits vertically and controls sideways shifter movement), then undo the two small bolts on top of the selector shaft and the one large black nut on the side of the shaft (right beside the small sensor and selector locking lever). The selector shaft will then be able to be removed by pulling it up. You'll feel what feels like two detents catching at different spots during the removal of the shaft, but simply work it loose while pulling upwards. It shouldn't take much effort to remove.

Lubricate the shaft with your choice of gear oil, preferably 75w-90 viscosity. Then just reverse the steps to re-install it, making sure to wiggle the shaft to get it back in and past the resistance/detents. Also make sure to not overtighten the bolts and nut when reinstalling.