GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seized turbo wastegate arm

julianpb

Just had my 2015 1.8t TSI with 75,000kms in the shop and was told that after much tricky diagnosis, they discovered that my (factory) turbo wastegate actuator arm is seized, and so much so that all efforts to release it have failed. I don't have 100% confirmation, but I believe it's the circled joint they're referring to, not the actuator itself (pic is not my turbo). Consequently, they're quoting me a complete turbo replacement and 7 hours labour for about an arm and a leg. Now, I'm already going to look into sourcing a used turbo for less, but even before going there, I want to make sure a complete replacement is truly necessary. I haven't set eyes or hands on my own seized wastegate arm yet, but even if I do, I'm not sure it'll help me verify how stuck it is. Fortunately, I have to assume the flap is stuck open, as I've noticed some limp turbo and don't appear to have killed my engine. The seizing is also fairly believable because I haven't been driving my car a lot lately (I didn't know this might happen of course).

Has anyone else had this particular problem? Were you able to get it unstuck? What methods should I check that the shop has tried before giving up? Even for a full replacement, 7 hours is excessive, right?

1575690105685.png

One more question.. The IS12 turbo part numbers have various last digits:
06K145713E
06K145713F
06K145713G
06K145713H
06K145713K

I believe K is the most recent version, but do I have to get just the right one for my engine or will any of them work?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I've heard of a few with this or a similar problem. Unfortunately the solution is a replacement turbo, but thankfully used turbos are cheap. Any turbo will work, and in my eyes this would be an opportunity to upgrade to an IS20.

julianpb

Yeah, I was also contemplating the turbo upgrade, but to be honest I have never had the intention to tune and tinker and from what I gather an IS20 needs an ECU tune to run properly which adds some $$. Is that accurate? Also, I have to imagine a regular mechanic won't install an upgrade like that for me and I'm not set up to do it myself, so I'd have figure that out. Haven't ruled it out yet though..

Oh, and another couple of questions I forgot to ask. Would it be bad to drive the car as it is with the wastegate stuck open while I source a turbo and mechanic? Is there any consequence beyond limp performance and reduced fuel economy? And secondly, is this likely to have damaged my actuator in any way. On the off chance I can get the arm unstuck, I'm wondering whether there will still be collateral damage.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, I was also contemplating the turbo upgrade, but to be honest I have never had the intention to tune and tinker and from what I gather an IS20 needs an ECU tune to run properly which adds some $$. Is that accurate? Also, I have to imagine a regular mechanic won't install an upgrade like that for me and I'm not set up to do it myself, so I'd have figure that out. Haven't ruled it out yet though..

Oh, and another couple of questions I forgot to ask. Would it be bad to drive the car as it is with the wastegate stuck open while I source a turbo and mechanic? Is there any consequence beyond limp performance and reduced fuel economy? And secondly, is this likely to have damaged my actuator in any way. On the off chance I can get the arm unstuck, I'm wondering whether there will still be collateral damage.

If you upgrade to the IS20 you will need a tune. No reason a mechanic wouldn't install it.

julianpb

If you upgrade to the IS20 you will need a tune. No reason a mechanic wouldn't install it.

Oh, alright then. I assumed that most mechanics would stick to the book in terms of what VW states as being officially compatible. Would there be any further complication in going straight to an IS38? Or just a bit more $$?

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Not sure how much used IS12 goes for but you can get a used IS20 for dirt cheap ($200-$300) from the GTI guys. I’ve been told its fine to drive with an IS20 without a tune. I drove mine for about 50 miles without a tune with no issues. Maybe others can chime in if it’s ok for extended period. It would be nice to already have the IS20 installed. So if you ever feel like it, the turbo is already in and all you need is a tune. I just got the IS20 tune and absolutely love it. Car drives like stock under 2,5k rpm. Over that, it takes off.

As for the install, any mechanic can do it. If they have experience with our cars, they can do it faster which means cheaper for you. I had a few shops quote the install and they all quoted 6 hours. I ended up finding a VW tech (though local VW FB group) to install the turbo for me on a weekend and he did it in 2.5 hrs.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Oh, alright then. I assumed that most mechanics would stick to the book in terms of what VW states as being officially compatible. Would there be any further complication in going straight to an IS38? Or just a bit more $$?

Just more money for the IS38 but different tune also. Just depends upon your goal for performance. And supporting mods. You will have more lag with the IS38.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not sure how much used IS12 goes for but you can get a used IS20 for dirt cheap ($200-$300) from the GTI guys. I’ve been told its fine to drive with an IS20 without a tune. I drove mine for about 50 miles without a tune with no issues. Maybe others can chime in if it’s ok for extended period. It would be nice to already have the IS20 installed. So if you ever feel like it, the turbo is already in and all you need is a tune. I just got the IS20 tune and absolutely love it. Car drives like stock under 2,5k rpm. Over that, it takes off.

As for the install, any mechanic can do it. If they have experience with our cars, they can do it faster which means cheaper for you. I had a few shops quote the install and they all quoted 6 hours. I ended up finding a VW tech (though local VW FB group) to install the turbo for me on a weekend and he did it in 2.5 hrs.

Right you can drive on the IS20 without a tune but it won't be optimized.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

julianpb

Thanks a lot for the info everyone. Definitely think I'll shoot for the IS20 upgrade. Looks like the Unitronic tune requires a downpipe upgrade too. What should I use if I'm only doing the turbo?

Can someone also confirm that I won't cause any further damage by driving on my stuck-open wastegate a little longer? I need to drive about 300mi to a friend who can help me with the install.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Probably not if it's stuck open. Stuck closed would be dangerous. Also, APR or JB4 are the most common for just IS20.

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Thanks a lot for the info everyone. Definitely think I'll shoot for the IS20 upgrade. Looks like the Unitronic tune requires a downpipe upgrade too. What should I use if I'm only doing the turbo?
You don’t need downpipe with IS20. Only if you plan to go stage 2. You can keep your stock downpipe or upgrade to a stock GTI downpipe. Lots of GTI guys throw those away so you can get one for $100 or less. I got mine almost new for $50. You get larger diameter which flows 25% more air and you stay stock-ish. My ears also says it has a deeper and slightly louder exhaust note. Biggest reason for me is it does not throw any CEL. You will with an aftermarket downpipes (especially cat-less one) unless you get a stage 2 tune. [/QUOTE]

GeorgeTDI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf Mk6 TDI
Does anyone know the part number for the N75 valve for the IS12 in the 1.8 engine ? Is it available separately, or only with the wastegate assembly ?