GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seems the Golf is coming in April...

imm19

Sad. At that time will be outdated. 17 months till then and the other companies will improve their products even more. The only bright side is the diesel engine but by 2014 there will be more diesels on the market (Mazda, eventually Honda). Do not want to sound as a pessimist but to bring it as a 2015 model in April 2014 is a bad business decision.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
Same article, mentioned 30xxlb for curb weight for that 2.0 TDI, considering current TDI is pretty close to GTI in weight, that number doesn't seem as impressive as the "200+ lb" as the base model car...

Also, smaller tank might be a pain...

Citrus1

Sad. At that time will be outdated. 17 months till then and the other companies will improve their products even more. The only bright side is the diesel engine but by 2014 there will be more diesels on the market (Mazda, eventually Honda). Do not want to sound as a pessimist but to bring it as a 2015 model in April 2014 is a bad business decision.

Not pessimistic at all. I truly don't understand VWs decision on putting off the mk7 production for 2 years for the states but have it be released early 2013 for Europe. Why would they want to continue production of the mk6? I understand that it needs to be changed to be cleared by US laws but I don't believe that should mean the mk7 should be a 2015 model for the US. Over all im disappointed. I don't want to wait 2 years. I will end up purchasing the a3 sedan if it is released earlier.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Not pessimistic at all. I truly don't understand VWs decision on putting off the mk7 production for 2 years for the states but have it be released early 2013 for Europe. Why would they want to continue production of the mk6? I understand that it needs to be changed to be cleared by US laws but I don't believe that should mean the mk7 should be a 2015 model for the US. Over all im disappointed. I don't want to wait 2 years. I will end up purchasing the a3 sedan if it is released earlier.

Yeah, won't this car already be getting on in its run by the time it comes here?
Just how long of a run is the MK7 supposed to have as a 7 anyway?

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I don't want to wait 2 years. I will end up purchasing the a3 sedan if it is released earlier.

I think I'll be getting an A3 sedan anyway because AWD. :)

Funny thing about the OP's article though. When the FIRST pics came out of the MK7, people noticed that the car looked lower, and liked the stance better. Then people commented on the straps on the springs in the auto show pics. Now the article has REAL pics of the car, and it's higher. It's about the same as the MK6. So yup, VW did a ratchet strap style lowering kit for the auto show.

Anybody disagree with that? Am I wrong? :confused:

krische

vdubber in training
I truly don't understand VWs decision on putting off the mk7 production for 2 years for the states...I will end up purchasing the a3 sedan if it is released earlier.

I think you answered yourself ;) They want you to buy the model with the higher markup.

I bet it's just a cost saving thing. Probably cheaper to run the old manufacturing line, than it is to run the new one (that likely has kinks that need to be ironed out).

eyesoft_2002

Well... to add something to the point of "business decision" ... from what I know, for Volkswagen, Europe is many times bigger of a market for Golf than the United States. I don't know the exact numbers, but they sell maybe even 10 times as many golfs a year in Europe than they do in the United States. They do not want to fail to meet the demand in Europe by shipping their production capacity to a much smaller market. Also, while they announced that they will begin producing mk7 golfs in Mexico for NA markets, it's not like they can just flip a switch and the new golfs will suddenly start rolling off the production lines in Mexico...

I know the solution for this problem in the future. Let's all buy golfs so VW the US becomes a very very significant market for VW golf even when compared to Europe :) I know I'll buy one, unless something else that's unbelievably perfect steals me away before.

Trust me I'm as disappointed as all are that we have to wait that long... my current car will go down in value for trade in by that time, and it will be a shame.

BleezyD

Ready to race!
For some reason I thought the MKVII's were coming in mid 2013. :-(

krische

vdubber in training
Also, while they announced that they will begin producing mk7 golfs in Mexico for NA markets, it's not like they can just flip a switch and the new golfs will suddenly start rolling off the production lines in Mexico...

This is probably the reason it's taking longer to come to the US. VW probably has some work to do to change the Mexico facilities over to the new production lines for the mk7 Golf.

eyesoft_2002

I am sure there are a lot of details to be worked out. Has it been actually confirmed that this car is going to be produced in Mexico?

I haven't seen an actual confirmation, but the CEO reportedly said that they will make a decision soon (and the Mexico plant seems to be the favored choice for VW).