GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Security Code for Changing Steering Assist Level on Mk7 Golf?

Pbrowne

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2021 GTI
I want to reduce the power steering assist. My steering is too sensitive!

Going to control unit 44 (Steering Assist) and Adaptation and the Support Power channel, I see it set to 100%. There is the option of 20%, 40%, 60%, 80%, and 100%. But, a change is not accepted. I had entered 19249 as the security code and it was accepted. But, when I try to change the assist %, I get a "security access required" error message. A different security code must be needed for this setting.

Anyone know the correct code?

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
It turns out that the steering yaw sensor had lost its calibration causing the car to wander and the steering not stay centered when going straight. Quick dealer fix.

So the yaw sensor was the original problem, not caused by the attempted VCDS tweak?

Were you ever able to get the support power % to change or do anything? I am a fan of heavier steering and it would be awesome if this could be modified.

CH2015GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
It turns out that the steering yaw sensor had lost its calibration causing the car to wander and the steering not stay centered when going straight. Quick dealer fix.

Does anyone know how to reset yaw sensor calibration and/or decentering steering wheel with vcds? I know older models you'd use a security code but only vcds forum entry I saw referencing Mk7 said the old reset procedure didn't work.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Good reason to get a car with DCC. Then you can set the steering to Sport, which is much heavier.
It's not really limited to DCC though, '15 GTI S here with no packages and steering weight can be changed via driving mode which for my car changes soundaktor and steering weight only. More of a highline ecu feature i suspect.

Mydixadryl

Ready to race!
Does Sport Mode reduce the power steering assist and make the steering "tighter" (like a car with no power steering)? I've never been able to find an explanation for how it works from a purely mechanical standpoint.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
It's not really limited to DCC though, '15 GTI S here with no packages and steering weight can be changed via driving mode which for my car changes soundaktor and steering weight only. More of a highline ecu feature i suspect.

Yep. 2017 at least, you have the option for individual adjustment of steering, throttle sensitivity, adaptive lighting and soundaktor.

I'm guessing the steering adjustment involves adding or decreasing voltage to the EPS motor which varies torque.

donp

Ready to race!
Does Sport Mode reduce the power steering assist and make the steering "tighter" (like a car with no power steering)? I've never been able to find an explanation for how it works from a purely mechanical standpoint.
All it does is increase steering weight.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
a rookie question: what does "STG 09/A5/44/5F" stands for respectively? what's the criteria to apply each of them?

gbcaptain: Hi - and what a very good question!

STG 09/A5/44/5F is generally a nomenclature used by European authors to identify the address of the control module in a VAG vehicle. If you look at the first part of an auto-scan report from a VCDS cable, you will see a summary list of all of the control modules in the car, plus their overall error-message status. Here is the first part of the auto-scan report from my mk7:

Code:
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: Malfunction 0010
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

The beginning number on each row is the unique "address" of the control module (it's written in hexadecimal nomenclature - so it has a numbering base of 16, rather than 10) This address is used by all the communications on the CAN bus to locate the control module (it's like a postal address)

So, "STG 09", for example is 09-Cent. Elect in the auto scan and it is the control module @ address hex09 in the car (which is the Body Control Module, or BCM)

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion