GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Secondary Air Intake (SAI) Delete?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has done, or knows how to do, a SAI delete for our Mk7's? I've searched (briefly, I should add) around and wasn't able to find anything.

I ask because we just wrapped up installing a BOSS600 turbo kit on my car. While this was supposed to be a "bolt on speed solution", we had to modify/grind down the "ear" on the SAI connection to the engine, I believe. In other words, this "bolt on" kit doesn't seem to be bolt on if you have the SAI system. Since I have a NA GTI, it does. I think all NA GTIs have the SAI, but not all R's. Still trying to figure this out.

I wouldn't mind bypassing this system, as the pump behind the bumper on the driver side takes up precious brake-ducting room as well. I know that you'll basically have to tune it out, on top of physically removing it. Since not all Mk7's come with the SAI, I would think this shouldn't be too difficult?

All input appreciated!

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
I would think there is a way to disable the system with VCDS or something with coding, but problem is its part of the emissions so it might be hard to do so and you will have a check engine light. You can try to unplug it and run a jumper wire or a pigtail to close the circuit to prevent the light from turning on the dash?

GoatPowder

Ready to race!
Can't you just plate off the connection at the manifold and leave the pump plugged in? A quick Google search showed delete kits for the MKVI and far as I can tell (and correct me if I'm wrong) the ECM has no means of detecting flow from the SAI other than the pump itself. Or like MK7GTI said jump the pigtail between power and signal, though you'll need to use a resistor and I have no clue what resistance the ECM is looking for.

613B6

Ready to race!
I can delete the codes for you as well in Maestro.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Anyone ever dig deeper into this? I’m kicking around selling my current intake and building one...not needing an SAI port or separate filter would be nice

Pingers

Ready to race!
This is something I really want to do with my Golf. Would be nice just get rid of the extra hoses and weight. In for info!

Weight?! LOL. Maybe lay off the carbs for a couple days. Seriously can’t be more than a pound. Hoses I get. :D

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Weight?! LOL. Maybe lay off the carbs for a couple days. Seriously can’t be more than a pound. Hoses I get. :D

I guarantee the pump itself is at least several pounds, lol. And every pound counts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
3 lbs

athos56

Ready to race!
I could stop drinking beer, that would be good for a couple pounds, but you don't see me doing that do you??? :)

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I could cut off one of my balls and save more weight ;)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't think R's have it, but they have the hose that runs into the top of the air filter housing. I don't recall researching it, so what is that hose for anyway?

Navi

Autocross Champion
Old drag racers always say 100lbs is a tenth of a second in the 1/4. Only 97 more to go! Lol I've lost 20 and counting, so the car has to do some of the work lol.

Removing the SAI would also allow the opportunity to fit a clubsport/r ancillary cooler. I also just don't see the need for SAI since I am catless and have a 3" turbo back lol.

Couldn’t you still run a clubsport/r cooler since it’s on the lower right side (passenger side)? The left is the dsg cooler I think.