GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Second HPDE at VIR download/discussion

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Here is some info etc. from my second HPDE experience at VIR with the PCC Audi Club.

Car:

Tires. The PS4 all seasons actually do v. well for a novice driver like me, the main issue is melting/chunks/wear from the lack of camber and my novice driving skills in some corners – these are not cheap so trashing expensive daily all seasons is the main issue with these as I see it. I didn’t notice any issues until the last 2 sessions where I was solo and pushing the car harder as I got more comfortable. I started getting some braking issues where the ABS/ECS was kicking in b/c the tires were losing traction. I think I found the limit of these tires.

Power. No issues. This car has more than adequate power for HPDE. With an IS38, FBO, etc. this thing rips. I was able to touch just over 130 on the back straight which is fantastic for station wagon! The United Motorsport Haldex tune is a great add for pushing power to the rear wheels and I attribute being able to power out of turns in-part from that upgrade.

Brakes. For my first HPDE in 2020 I didn’t have adequate brakes and lost a full day/4 sessions b/c of it. This year I had the APR BBK and it was phenomenal. No braking issues with their middle “advanced street/entry level track” pads. I did use about ½ the pad however so like tires, the cost of using non-track focused gear is high and at some point, it’s cheaper to pay the bucks and get track stuff vs. hammering your daily gear. Fluid was Motul RBF600. Rears are stock 272mm solid rotors with EBC Yellowstuff pads and ss lines. I have the RS3 ducts up front and kept dust shields (modified 340mm) when I did the BBK. I never approached overwhelming these brakes.

Handling. Car handles fine or at least at my driving limits. H&R Sport springs, Bilstein B8s, and a H&R rear sway bar. I did find towards the end of the event I was getting a loud spring groan noise on the p. side during full compression in T17. Likely just coil on coil noise with some side load under the g’s in that turn – I note that some H&R springs will have rubber coated coils in some places likely for this reason. Car goes over curbs great and has plenty of compression travel with the mild lowering/sport springs. I’ll call my set up a “sport touring suspension” which seems to be great for HPDE.

Seats. They lack bolstering in this base model cloth jobs but my instructor showed me the trick of locking the belt and sliding forward. Solved all my problems of not being able to stabilize myself in the car.

ECS/ASR/etc. I drove it with ECS Sport the whole time. I can turn it off as I’ve coded the button with OBDEleven to mimic the standard settings on the Golf R but I’m not having any intervention at this point. I have my XDS set to “weak”. All other settings are stock.

My instructor noted “Car works great. Responsive and great prepared for HPDE. Lots of power and good brakes.” When we first met up he asked about my car and I noted I had all season tires he responded “goooooddddd”.

Upgrades for next year:

Tires. I will be getting some wheels and mounting up some more appropriate tires. Really struggling here but think I will just go up a notch incrementally to some PS4s at this point. The nice thing is I can use those most of the year here in central VA on the street vs. a 200tw track-type tire. At some point if I continue to do an event or two a year and my driving progresses, I’ll get some 200s; with a wagon it’s easy to carry extra wheels to the track or with many of these they would be fine to drive, I just don’t want to daily tires like this as you sacrifice daily comfort.

Suspension. I need some negative camber and will be adding some fixed plates (034/Superpro) or possibly the Eurosport mounts w/inserts as a mild upgrade. I’d like to keep NVH to a minimum but realize you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Brakes. I’ll try out APR’s “advanced track day” pads next time and just swap them in/out before the event. The one negative about the APR BBK is that it doesn’t utilize the quick change from the back of the caliper system – have to pop the calipers off.

Data logger: I need to research this but I hear Harry's is good and will work with your phone/GoPro or lap timing etc.

Driver:

I was overall much more comfortable with the whole HPDE thing this go around which made for a much more fun experience overall than last year. With the Audi Club, I’m in the green/novice group and would likely continue in that group for another event or two. Getting to go solo or two sessions was great. Never felt uncomfortable or had any on-track drama. Never had passing drama worth a mention...it's the novice group, patience is important. Instructor was good - no BS/to the point.

Eyes up is an issue for me, as I get more comfortable I’ll begin to be able to look through turns more vs. the brake zone in front of me.

My plan for 2022 is to do both Audi Club PCA events, one in March at Summit Point and the fall finale at VIR in Nov.

Here is my packing list in case anyone is interested:
torque wrench w/17mm socket + short extention
air pressure gauge
1 qt oil
1 jug coolant
1 bottle brake fluid
Liquimoly Speed Tec (2)
ethanol cans (2)
pour hose
funnel
rags/towels
glass cleaner
work gloves
nitrile gloves
safety glasses
tow hooks
race numbers
window numbers
sunglasses (2)
helmet
long sleeve shirts
sun block/lip balm
chair
cooler
drinks/snacks
Bluetooth speaker
headlamp
GoPro + mount
med form
Speed Waiver (track)
waiver (Audi Club)
tech form
track insurance

One of my solo laps, 2:30 is about as good as it got:

2021 Audi Club Fall Finale at VIR - Green Group last session day 2. - YouTube

_23A1111.JPG
_23A3014.JPG

Last edited:

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Nice report. Glad that you had a good time. My first experience at VIR was great as well and looking forward to my next one. When I get faster I'll need better brakes also. Right now, just better pads and fluid. Don't forget a note pad for track notes. I think that would be helpful especially as another event comes up. Review along with GoPro footage. What type of data logger do you use?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Nice report. Glad that you had a good time. My first experience at VIR was great as well and looking forward to my next one. When I get faster I'll need better brakes also. Right now, just better pads and fluid. Don't forget a note pad for track notes. I think that would be helpful especially as another event comes up. Review along with GoPro footage. What type of data logger do you use?
I always have a pen/paper with me so got that part. I don't have a data logger yet, I'll look into it, would be nice to see lap times etc. (I added this to my OP) I hear Harry's is the one to get.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I use Track Addict. Not sure which one is better, but I hear the Race Render video editor that works with Track Addict is decent.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
For data logging and analysis I use Circuit Storm (https://www.petreldata.com/product/circuitstorm-data-logger-lap-timer-for-android/) and it connects to most OBD2 dongles. I also have a dedicated 10Hz GPS unit to connect to my phone for really accurate timing and position. You may want to consider just biting the bullet on RBF660 as you start to get faster for the extra buffer room too.

Curious to know which 200tw tire you choose for next year. That's #1 on my list of things to get for next season. I'm currently torn between Hankook Ventus RS-4 and Goodyear F1 supercar 3. There were some NSX and 1LE putting down blindingly fast and consistent times w/ the goodyear in the wet and dry last season which really turned me onto them.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
For data logging and analysis I use Circuit Storm (https://www.petreldata.com/product/circuitstorm-data-logger-lap-timer-for-android/) and it connects to most OBD2 dongles. I also have a dedicated 10Hz GPS unit to connect to my phone for really accurate timing and position. You may want to consider just biting the bullet on RBF660 as you start to get faster for the extra buffer room too.

Curious to know which 200tw tire you choose for next year. That's #1 on my list of things to get for next season. I'm currently torn between Hankook Ventus RS-4 and Goodyear F1 supercar 3. There were some NSX and 1LE putting down blindingly fast and consistent times w/ the goodyear in the wet and dry last season which really turned me onto them.
Actually I'm thinking of just getting some summers - PS4s. I will do at most 2 HPDEs next year and running PS4s will be an incremental improvement of the PS4 AS and allow me to use those as my daily tires for a big chunk of the year vs. 200s that would be track-only (for me).

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
I have the PS4s but haven't tracked them yet. They are great though and I can run them all year here in central NC. Mini7 has good info on them in his thread. They will be fine for my skill level (low) but I think they need some extra camber if you are able to push hard.

bobivy1234

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW Golf GTI
Harrys is solid but Track Addict is a bit easier to use with the computer Race Render software, Harrys. you have to manage the videos editing on your phone.

I've got a new Superpro camber plate set if youre looking in the short term. Just got back from VIR today with SCDA.

Check out Schroth Quickfit Pro if you think you'd want a harness, ran that today for the first time with a HANS and went well.

PS4S should do well but if you can swing a dedicated track pair and drop the A/S, Nitto Nt01 have been extremely good, just depends on how far you want to take the track experience next year.

Have you done any tweaks to the brakes on Obd11 like turning off hydraulic brake assist, remove straight line assist, changing brake booster, etc? Makes a big difference as well.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Harrys is solid but Track Addict is a bit easier to use with the computer Race Render software, Harrys. you have to manage the videos editing on your phone.

I've got a new Superpro camber plate set if youre looking in the short term. Just got back from VIR today with SCDA.

Check out Schroth Quickfit Pro if you think you'd want a harness, ran that today for the first time with a HANS and went well.

PS4S should do well but if you can swing a dedicated track pair and drop the A/S, Nitto Nt01 have been extremely good, just depends on how far you want to take the track experience next year.

Have you done any tweaks to the brakes on Obd11 like turning off hydraulic brake assist, remove straight line assist, changing brake booster, etc? Makes a big difference as well.
I actually have the Track Addict app already, forgot I downloaded it but never used it.

Thanks for the offer on the camber plates but I really think I'll just go with the Eurosport complete OE mounts and pucks - will be quiet/OE feeling. I measured my current number at ~-1.5 so adding another .8 is a touch over-2 which for a street car should be reasonable to help out.

I like the idea on tires of being incremental. I found a possible deal on a slighly used set of 235/40 Conti Extreme Contact Sports. For the price if I can get them I'll mount them to a new set of wheels and just run them. If I stay with it I'll move to a set of 200s at some point when I'm ready.

I am quite versed in the OBDEleven arts...hahaha. I have changed my XDS to weak and have coded my ECS to be able to be off but that's it. I've played around with the stuff a lot but on the road it's hard to really get your car in the positions to be able to tell what most of these actually do. My brakes feel fine to me with the stock settings but I know many like to turn off the straight line stabilization and brake assist. I will mess with things when I get to a point to be able to do that at the track.

kep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I would advice against Conti Extreme Contact Spots for track use. They have soft sidewalls, so unless you have a lot of camber, you will be rolling the tires quite a bit, and be forced to raise tire pressure to compensate.