GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Seat Cover for Softer Feel?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

My GTI is nearly three years old. I still love it! My wife and I have taken a few road trips recently. She's not terribly fond of the seat after a while. Yes, I agree that the seats are firm, but I find them comfortable enough. They're great for the commute; I stop every 100 miles or so on longer road trips. So, I guess that gives the butt and back a break, if I need it.

Back to the wife, perhaps the seat affect me less since I'm heavier and compress the cushions more? I don't know. Has anyone used a cover or insert of sorts to make the seat more comfortable? I don't think she'd want one that covers the ENTIRE seat because that would effectively make the bolsters more narrow. I guess just something for the middle of each section?

We're probably going to take her Jetta on our next trip: BORING. :p

Has anyone actually tried a cushion that works well with our bolstered seats? I'd appreciate any leads. Thanks!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
egg crate foam sewn into a fabric cover? make it the width of the center section.

That will be too thick to fit under the existing cover. Just an additional 1/4" of foam should make a noticeable difference.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I was thinking separate cover (stand alone chair pad) idk but 1/4" sounds too little.

pics of wife ;)

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I think it's both her back and butt. Her butt feels fine to me. ;) She says the lumbar support is insufficient, too. I have my sights on two options:

1) I ordered some egg crate foam. I saw a post where someone cut a 7x11" piece that fits perfectly between the bolsters and seemed to work for him. I'll try that first.

2) Coincidentally, I have a new office chair on the way. I can also try cutting some foam out of it. However, that chair is 10+ years old and probably has flattened padding. :p

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
HAHA!

Have you considered getting a new wife? Lol jk

After 30 years with her, I'm going at it alone if things don't work out. Then I'd only have to worry about one seat. :p

Go to a craft store and get some foam. It's pretty cheap IIRC.

I ordered a pack with two pieces of 24x12" egg crate for $11 on eBay. It'll be more than enough; should be here by the weekend.