GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sea Suckers

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Looks cool. I saw a car using one of these racks on 95 the other day and it made me nervous, but after reading all these positive reviews, they seem like a good option. Is there a best place to buy these? I'd probably want the exact set up as above... just gotta remember to not open my sunroof!
You can get them direct.
https://www.seasucker.com/

And yes, opening your sunroof would probably result in an amusing bike ejection! When I have run a roof rack, I either put bright tape over the Homelink buttons or lock the garage remote in the glove box and put a camp chair in the garage so I don't pull in. I'd recommend something similar for the sunroof switch if you run a Seasucker.

RickVaughn

Car(s)
Rabbit
Where's the $9k bike? I see a GX crank and XT brakes. I kid. Nice Hydras, and skinwalls ftw.
You do! That pic's from the original build. Now we've got full AXS, the matching i9 stem and some other goodies. I waited years for Maxxis to make skinwall minions and they finally did. And now I literally can't stand the look of them lol now if fox would just make a wireless dropper...
Looks cool. I saw a car using one of these racks on 95 the other day and it made me nervous, but after reading all these positive reviews, they seem like a good option. Is there a best place to buy these? I'd probably want the exact set up as above... just gotta remember to not open my sunroof!
i got mine from competitive cyclist and got a 20% coupon so it was like 239? you'll have to get the endcaps for thru-axles but they're like 20-30. Backcountry or somebody is having a 20% sale now and they might sell the rack. Just make sure it's the "newer" model with the HUSKE fork mount otherwise you'll get one with a fixed QR and that sucks.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Why not just run the AXS post? Unless you're like me and run a 210mm, then you're a bit hosed. Of course you'd lose the Kashima theme, but the AXS does work really well, plus you get to see how often you're really using it with the app, I have a few friends that use it and RS/SRAM seem to finally have their design right.

RickVaughn

Car(s)
Rabbit
Why not just run the AXS post? Unless you're like me and run a 210mm, then you're a bit hosed. Of course you'd lose the Kashima theme, but the AXS does work really well, plus you get to see how often you're really using it with the app.
100% because kashima. i actually run a 125 cuz i have short legs and a big torso. i'm 5'9 on a medium frame and basically have the seat slammed. 30" inseam and i cuff my jeans about an inch and a half

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Selvedge jeans? How far can we derail this?

Ha, take that targeted google ads, wrong Yeti, I don't need a cup!

Fourflys

Car(s)
2016 Autobahn DSG
Morning all! I just picked up a 2016 Autobahn with the sunroof and also just ordered the SeaSucker Talon rack (actually two as they have a combo deal that saves you $75).

Anyone else attached these to the sunroof? I'm thinking about attaching the single cup to the top of the windshield, if possible. Would love to hear some experienced voices on placement. FWIW, this will carry a Santa Cruz Chameleon or a gravel bike, depending on the ride...

Thanks,
Chris

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Morning all! I just picked up a 2016 Autobahn with the sunroof and also just ordered the SeaSucker Talon rack (actually two as they have a combo deal that saves you $75).

Anyone else attached these to the sunroof? I'm thinking about attaching the single cup to the top of the windshield, if possible. Would love to hear some experienced voices on placement. FWIW, this will carry a Santa Cruz Chameleon or a gravel bike, depending on the ride...

Thanks,
Chris
One of my neighbors uses one on a Tesla, so glass roofs seem fine.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
For those nervous about the Seasucker at speed:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...sucks-and-thats-a-good-thing/article32620641/

Thanks,
Chris

I am nervous of putting any cups on the part between the windshield and sunroof as that is made of plastic and not super durable based on a few horror stories I've read on the forum. If that plastic piece breaks, it is a nightmare to replace. So if putting a cup on the windshield means straddling cup(s) on the black plastic strip, I would personally be wary of that.

Fourflys

Car(s)
2016 Autobahn DSG
For those nervous about the Seasucker at speed:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glo...sucks-and-thats-a-good-thing/article32620641/

I am nervous of putting any cups on the part between the windshield and sunroof as that is made of plastic and not super durable based on a few horror stories I've read on the forum. If that plastic piece breaks, it is a nightmare to replace. So if putting a cup on the windshield means straddling cup(s) on the black plastic strip, I would personally be wary of that.
Good info, that makes sense! Guess I wasn't aware that strip between the windshield and sunroof was plastic (just got the car last Friday).

Thanks!

Fourflys

Car(s)
2016 Autobahn DSG
Sweet and congrats! I have the Canadian version of the same car :)
so do you attach to the sunroof glass then, behind the plastic piece? does it matter if it's off to one side or the other, or is it better to be centered?

Thanks

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
so do you attach to the sunroof glass then, behind the plastic piece? does it matter if it's off to one side or the other, or is it better to be centered?

Thanks
I have their Monkey Bars, so I have to attach to both sides of the sunroof. I would think with a bike, there would not be much force from wind shear, so my not a professional engineer guess would be that it shouldn't matter center or side.