GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SD card for music - how to organize/ access folders?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have no problems...

But I use dbpoweamp for ripping/tagging/art/etc & filing all my music for my main home hifi…

I just then select & copy the music I want for the SD card & then "convert to" & tell it to go to the SD card..simples..

I use MP3 uncompressed for the car & FLAC for the home..

BTW my music is naturally organised as .....artist/album/song..so each CD is a folder...& each artist has their own folder

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Hi, I don't exactly have a Golf - I have a 2018 Tiguan with the MIB II infotainment system. I just wanted to share what I learned. I copied dozens of albums of mp3 files onto a usb drive, each album in its own folder. The infotainment system would not show me the folders - it just played everything in "Folder1" and then went to "Folder2", etc. Through experimentation I discovered that there must be only one folder on the root of the usb. So I called the folder on root "Music" and placed the album folders under Music. Now the infotainment system allows me navigate the various folders. I hope this helps someone.

I can have many folders at root level. I wonder if your limitation is a function of the format you chose for the card. I formatted my card as EX-FAT.

I have at root level, three folders:

Music
Audiobooks
Images

In music, the subfolder structure is:

Artist --> Album --> Track
Compilations --> Album --> Track

In Audiobooks, the subfolder structure is:

Author Last, First name --> Book Title --> Chapter

I have a 128GB card with about 115GB used up... time to upgrade to a 256GB soon.

The Images folder contains mostly radio station icons.

I use iTunes on a Mac exclusively for exporting all audio files and managing album artwork. Most files are 256kbps AAC "matched" because I store all my music in the iTunes cloud. I also have a bunch mp3 256kbps or 320kbps files and some random lower quality ones.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Another ex-fat user here with hundreds of folders in the root directory.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Phil D

Car(s)
Golf TDI Mk7
New to the forum. This thread has been really helpful thanks. One question. Occasionally. I start the car and the Selection option is greyed out so I can't access the MP3s on the SD card. Selecting Source shows the SD card is also greyed out. The way around it seems to be to select WLAN then hit Selection. That seems to do the trick. The next time you start the car everything is back to normal.

Has anybody else had this? I started to think the card was faulty but then things go back to normal. By the way it is in SD slot 2. Is this correct?

btscott

Passed Driver's Ed
SD Slot 2 is the correct one. As far as cards, I did have trouble with 256 GB PNY Elite Performance. Switched to 256 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro and problems went away. Now using a 512 GB Extreme Pro and still no problems.

Phil D

Car(s)
Golf TDI Mk7
This took a turn for the worst today. This time both SD card ports stopped working (so no maps or music). Also the USB port would not connect to the phone. This would work randomly during our 20 minutes journey but that was it. After we stopped I pulled out and reseated both SD cards, switched ignition back on and everything worked again. Has anybody had this themselves? Wondering whether some kind of software update would help but who knows.

Phil