GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

scratch on roof

bearbear0

Car(s)
19 GTI, 19 Crosstrek
Hi guys,

Took delivery of my new 2019 GTI last week, did a hand wash this past weekend and discovered a scratch on the roof next to the antenna - see picture. Needless to say I'm disappointed as I've had the car for less than a week, but I get it, sh*t happens. How can I go about fixing this? Can this be buffed out? Or use a touch up pen? I could try to go back to the dealer and complain but I doubt they will do anything.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_2471.jpg
    IMG_2471.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 216

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Congrats on the new car, and nice choice in color (or lack thereof.) You can hit it with touch up paint, I'd recommend getting some proper applicators and a sanding block to really do it right. Or your better option would be to find a local airbrusher, usually PDR guys will either be able to do it themselves or know the right guy, or you can contact local detailers, they'll usually know an airbrush guy too.

bearbear0

Car(s)
19 GTI, 19 Crosstrek
Congrats on the new car, and nice choice in color (or lack thereof.) You can hit it with touch up paint, I'd recommend getting some proper applicators and a sanding block to really do it right. Or your better option would be to find a local airbrusher, usually PDR guys will either be able to do it themselves or know the right guy, or you can contact local detailers, they'll usually know an airbrush guy too.

I'm aware we're in different geographies, but how much will an airbrusher set me back? I may just go touch up paint as it seems to be the most economical solution. If I don't get this fixed, how bad will this scratch get?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'm aware we're in different geographies, but how much will an airbrusher set me back? I may just go touch up paint as it seems to be the most economical solution. If I don't get this fixed, how bad will this scratch get?
In CAD? Maybe a million? I'd guess around $75 to $120 would get it done if you're in a big city, maybe a little less if you're in a smaller place.
As long as you're not driving on salted roads and you keep it relatively clean, it should be fine, assuming it's cut through the primer. If it's just into the primer, but not through it, you're fine. Just throw a little wax or sealant over it. Use isopropyl to clean it before using touch up paint. I highly recommend actual applicators, like so:
ATLIN Touch Up Paint Brushes, 100 Pack of 1.5mm Disposable Micro Applicators for Automotive Paint Chip Repair https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N6D0207/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dbT8Eb4X7WWV1

LarryLaptimes

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
You bought it a week ago? Take it back to the dealer and say you noticed a scratch during your first wash. Worst they can say is not their problem. Most dealers are worried about bad reviews from VW corporate and will do a lot to please a customer. Worth a shot.

tmw2442

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 R
Buy some drcolorchip...diy....don't let the hairless apes at the dealer install more scratches or wear n tear...

staying_tuned

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 Mark 7 Golf R
Touch ups can go sideways very quickly even with a properly matched kit and OCD levels of build-up/wet block sanding cycles.

I’d first try a medium cut polish on it. Judging by the looks, you’d be able to reduce visibility on it by 50% or more by simply polishing it down.

If at that point, if it’s close to no big deal, seal it with a traditional sealer or hit the entire roof with ceramic. In either case it will bend less light and be extremely hard to detect visually unless you’re right on top of it.