GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SCAMMER WARNING!

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
There have been a few incidents of people either posting or PM'ing members selling stuff for a friend. Often they will want payment through Friends and Family or some Russian (or similar) payment service. Do NOT fall for it. Unless they have a history here proceed with caution.

zucchinies

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 A3
Yup, had this happen to me in almost every forum. I never take solicited offers. This is also common when you post a WTB post.

TomRider

+ look at how old these accounts are. If you are dealing with an account created in the last week or so, it is high risk (especially if they say "send me an email as I dont look at IMs in this forum"). if you price price your item well, it will sell, period. Dan't fall for these scammers.

PS: if you want to know how many scammers are there out there, just post an WTB add! :D

Samy8131

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7.5
Just got one!
Fake scams

Attachments

• 79CA5594-912C-43DC-81A0-72DFC393603D.png
    79CA5594-912C-43DC-81A0-72DFC393603D.png
    694.3 KB · Views: 497

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Should request pics of item with screen name.

And go one further and make them take the photo next to an electrical outlet, in case they try to claim they're in the U.S.

Bolivarjoy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I too recently heard from a brand new "member" with zero posts responding to a WTB post. Pictures were sent and I almost fell for it but requested, demanded, a phone call to talk with them before sending any money. That put an end to it.

NitroMKV

Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
As a new member selling something, in the past what I've done and what I did do today, is in all the photos add a piece of paper with screen name, date/time, and the forum name etc or what you are selling.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
paypal now asks for a first and last name of the person youre sending the payment to ( friends and family)
I wouldn't ever use friends and family unless it was literally family. Don't use f&f to buy or sell things in the forum.