GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SB Stage 3 Daily chatter

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Clutch has over 900 miles on it and has chatter at idle and a much more annoying kind of a grinding sound, mostly in 2nd gear from less than 3000 RPMs.

The car does have poly mounts and a Fluidampr balancer. The chatter at idle is much louder inside the car than outside and is always present, with or without A/C on.
The grinding kind of chatter is worse when there is a load on the engine, right after shifting into 2nd on normal driving. If car is level or going downhill, chatter is minimized or non-existant.

Is this noise normal? Kind of remember occasionally hearing a similar sound in my old Mustang, but nowhere near this loud.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Maybe not apples to apples, sb stg 3 endurance on 1.8, but I have very little chatter. Heard it once at choose to idle, but now 1k miles later, don't hear anything at all.

Striker23

Go Kart Newbie
My stg3 daily is a chatter box for sure. After shifting into 2nd it also makes a loud noise right after i get on the gas. If I creep along In 2nd with hardly any gas it doesn’t make the noise but under normal driving it’s there. Not really a grinding but an a loud rattle. I also have upgraded mounts. I’m a few thousand in with it and chatter is no better and might even be louder than the beginning. I do like the clutch and paired with the dieselgeek sigma 6 it’s a blast to drive. The chatter is a drawback though.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
My stg3 daily is a chatter box for sure. After shifting into 2nd it also makes a loud noise right after i get on the gas. If I creep along In 2nd with hardly any gas it doesn’t make the noise but under normal driving it’s there. Not really a grinding but an a loud rattle. I also have upgraded mounts. I’m a few thousand in with it and chatter is no better and might even be louder than the beginning. I do like the clutch and paired with the dieselgeek sigma 6 it’s a blast to drive. The chatter is a drawback though.

Guess the grinding sound could be called a rattle, like a very fast vibrating rattle.

Maybe not apples to apples, sb stg 3 endurance on 1.8, but I have very little chatter. Heard it once at choose to idle, but now 1k miles later, don't hear anything at all.

Mine had idle chatter from day 1. Are you using stock MT fluid?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R

I’m the same on an S3 Daily. Other than what sounds like a tractor at launch, there’s barely any at idle, with AC on orin reverse.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

The problem isn’t the clutch, it’s the person who owns the car.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
The problem isn’t the clutch, it’s the person who owns the car.

If you mean I'm completely oblivious to any unusual sounds, you're probably not far off. But think I would notice loud chatter

Pickleahoy

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
This clutch will rattle like mad if you give more than light throttle under 2500 rpm, it also chatters like crazy with the AC on. Normal!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
If you mean I'm completely oblivious to any unusual sounds, you're probably not far off. But think I would notice loud chatter

No, it’s just some people are more sensitive to NVH than others. It’s the same thing with mounts.

People who are sensitive to this shouldn’t mod their cars.

tpellegr

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI S 6MT
Clutch has over 900 miles on it and has chatter at idle and a much more annoying kind of a grinding sound, mostly in 2nd gear from less than 3000 RPMs.

The car does have poly mounts and a Fluidampr balancer. The chatter at idle is much louder inside the car than outside and is always present, with or without A/C on.
The grinding kind of chatter is worse when there is a load on the engine, right after shifting into 2nd on normal driving. If car is level or going downhill, chatter is minimized or non-existant.

Is this noise normal? Kind of remember occasionally hearing a similar sound in my old Mustang, but nowhere near this loud.
Which mounts are you running? My experience with the Stage 2 BFIs is that they amplify the transmission noise from my SB Stage 2 Endurance kit quite a bit. It was a lot louder before the mounts broke in, but now that I have 15k miles on them, it is still somewhat noticeable (esp. with the windows up and radio off). I never experienced any grinding noises. It just sounds like a subtle whining or winding. Perfectly normal and to be expected with higher durometer mounts.

Edit: The more I drive this clutch, the more I am impressed with it. The engagement and light weight are a pleasure for downshifts. My new Miata takes noticeably more effort to blip.

Last edited:

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
The grinding noise is just a different kind of chatter than the idle chatter. Was just trying to describe the sound.
My car has 75 durometer Torque Solution motor and ECS 70 durometer transmission mounts. Plus the Roc Euro solid pendulum mount.
The grinding noise only happens putting around. If I rev 1st gear 3500 to shift, the car will be above 2500 in 2nd gear and the noise is gone or mostly so. But that is making a lot of noise for just cruising around. Also, the noise is barely audible on startup, but gets louder when the car warms up. Going to try a thicker transmission fluid.