GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SB 3 Installed - My thoughts (for anyone interested)

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Just got home after picking up the car from clutch install. 17 GTI SE 6 MT with 41k miles. Have put about 100 miles (probably 70 back roads and 30 highway, all while trying to throw in as many gear changes as possible) onto the new clutch already. This is my first aftermarket clutch on any car and, in case it needs to be said, first SMF. I spent MONTHS doing research and planning. I was very paranoid about crankwalk (still am paranoid, not as worried). I was between SB and Ringer. Ultimately, I decided on SB strictly due to the advantages FCP Euro offers (they don’t sell Ringer). If not for FCP stocking, I likely would have done RR stage 4 with heavy DMF.

Parts - SB stage 3 daily, OEM RMS (P revision), 034 motor sports shifter and endlink bushings, 034 upper and lower dogbone inserts, synchro shift fluid, OEM 5/30 oil change, OEM bleeder block mod/delay valve removal.
Installer - Innovative Motorsports

First thoughts: my god it’s so much lighter!!! (My wallet). Clutch pedal is MUCH heavier that stock. Engagement point is MUCH lower than stock, to the point of checking to see if a pedal stop was installed. Definitely took some self-adjusting to get used to. Feel like I need to blip throttle more to get started from a stop (at least until I get more used to it). Shifts are obviously much easier once you get rolling.

After about 40 or 50 miles: pedal started to feel a little lighter. I’m sure much of this has to do with getting used to the feel/weight of the pedal. Shifts from the selector feel much smoother and less notchy. Several times I found myself changing ears and the lever seemed to float into the next gear, it was quite nice.

About 100 miles in: same pedal feel (more comfortable than when I first got into the car). Am anticipating this lightening up more as it gets broken in. Interested to see how it feels the next time I get into the car after a few hours. Have not thrown much as far as power/torque/boost at the car, but my god does it feel much sturdier and solid than the factory setup. I almost feel like the car smoothed out on the highway as well. I can’t wait to throw some power at this thing. When I got home, I turned the AC on at idle and listened for chatter - I’d say it’s pretty minimal. If I wasn’t specifically listening for it, I might have barely if at all picked up on it. Quieter with the AC turned off, again to the point of hardly noticeable. Wondering if this might increase as things get broken in?

All in all, Other than the cost of everything, I am very happy with the clutch and the way that I was treated over at Innovative. I haven’t looked at it yet, but I was told that the stock clutch has enough meat left on it to be sold/used in a “last case scenario”. Stock clutch was used for… ehh 7k miles stage 1 and maybe 2k miles state 2. Excited to see how things progress from here!

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Update: 170 miles into break in and the pedal just seemed to fairly significantly lighten up. Seems like more road/engine is transmitted through to the pedals due to the mount inserts. There is a “vibration”/noise/rumble at low speeds/rpm’s most notably in 2nd and third. Different than the noises when taking off (not launching) in first, which I’m assuming are clutch slipping from not enough throttle? Will try to keep updates coming for those that are interested.

sharkbait20

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
GTI SE
Update 2: -about 270 miles. Clutch has lightened up tons - now I can see why people are saying “about 20% extra effort”. It kind of seems to go back and fourth between stiff, light, then back to stiff again after sitting, then lightening up. Grab point has pulled up a bit too. Less “fighting” when engaging from a stop however, regular shifts have changed a tad and need some driver adjusting to get used to. One thing I didn’t mention in my first update; the only thing that seems to have “gotten worse” is the chatter. It’s not unbearable, but definitely more than stock and more than initially was there after install. I would say that it isn’t entirely noticeable to the normal person and even to me, if I don’t pay attention to it, it isn’t in your face”, but it’s there. If this current state is how the clutch ends up being permanently, I would be okay with it. However, I expect it to continue to lighten up a touch (at least be more consistent) and grab more consistently. Much like soccer, I will be adding extra time to the break in to account for highway time (even though I’ve tried to keep changing up gears from 4-5-6-5-4 etc while driving on highway). At this point, aiming for around 650 miles.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
May want to change out your brake/clutch fluid if you have not done it recently. FCP Euro has the Motive Power Bleeder and makes it super easy.
I had 46K on the fluid (never changed since I got it) and after putting in new fluid low rpm engagement was a little smoother.