GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Save me from a $2500 bi-xenon headlight repair

halooie1

The car is a 2017 GTI SE Manual with "lighting package" bi-xenon adaptive headlights. Less than 2 years old, but already 46k miles on it, so out of warranty. About a month ago I started getting an "Adaptive Front Lighting System Error" warning on the dash. I can tell the right side headlight is out of alignment and is no longer "adapting" around corners. Projector seems to be stuck in "crosseyed" position, pointing to the left. Bulbs remain lit. Dealer says it is a mechanical damage in headlight, can't be fixed, needs whole new headlight assembly. Quotes parts $1917.10 and $525 labor to remove and replace and run "GFF" (calibration and realignment). :eek:

What part is likely to have crapped out? Surely everything doesn't need to be replaced. The $1917 must be for a new headlight assembly, plus leveling module and power module. Looking online it seems a new headlight assembly by itself is $1218.46 and on sale some places for $950. https://bit.ly/2Z8FGiY Does nobody take these things out and troubleshoot them?

Suggestions welcome. $2500 to fix a headlight is insane. Anyone else have the adaptive lighting system crap out on them like this?

Dan00Hawk

Go Kart Newbie
It would be a terrible misfortune for a rock or road debris to hit that particular headlight, causing irreparable damage, thereby resulting in your insurance company fixing it for the cost of your comprehensive coverage. Maybe you'll get unlucky enough to have that happen...

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I did a complete LP retrofit for $1,300, both lights, all modules, harness, AFS module and level sensor. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29237

If it was me, I would swap modules from left headlight to right and see if problem remains in right headlight. If so, buy a used right headlight from a salvage yard or eBay, should be between $350 and $500. Plenty of youtube vidoes on how to remove and install headlights.

Reaper1

Go Kart Newbie
First thing is to always scan the car for codes, maybe its just a bad module, You never know.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
First thing is to always scan the car for codes, maybe its just a bad module, You never know.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

This. Next step buy a used light and diy the installation.

People total mk7 everyday, there’s tons of used working condition LP headlights to be had.

The headlight R&R is simple and requires only a 25Torx and 13mm socket. That dealership basically quoted you $525 an hour

RabbitGTI1

It would be a terrible misfortune for a rock or road debris to hit that particular headlight, causing irreparable damage, thereby resulting in your insurance company fixing it for the cost of your comprehensive coverage. Maybe you'll get unlucky enough to have that happen...

I'm with Dan.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
car-part.com

Find a junkyard car near you to steal the headlight from. You can filter headlight assembly for only xenon package. I found some close to me for around 550 bucks maximum. Good luck OP, don't let the stealership get that payday.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

It would be terrible to get a life changing felony for committing insurance fraud.

Seriously, at this point there’s too much paper trail to pull this off without risk.

OP,

Be resourceful.

Look for parting out cars and eBay.

Look in the classifieds.

Only a rube would pay full dealer retail for this type of job.

halooie1

Thanks for all the useful comments. I have a BlueDriver OBD11 thingie and it produced two headlight regulation "reserved" codes. "Reserved" apparently means that VW hasn't released what they mean, although a BlueDriver tech was able to find them somehwere. They are
5278761 – Position Sensor for Right Swivel Module
5278215 – Swivel Module Right
Does this indicate that the only problem is with the control module? Is that part 8K0-941-597-E? see https://bit.ly/2Kvmmbt There should be nothing broken in the headlight assembly itself...I've had no accident. (If I'd had, this would be a lot easier!)

Parabola

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI, 22 Tiguan
Junk yard parts and DIY. I wouldn’t even entertain insurance fraud idea.

Both mu GTI and GSW have adaptive lights and since I am keeping them long term, It has crossed my mind what to do if they fail at some point...that is crazy money to pay for headlamps, no matter how fancy they are.