GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sat Nav Maps Update

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Good Afternoon Folks,

I'm sure this has been done to death but i can't find any information here. I'm really struggling to regain my maps function.

My maps first got a little glitchy last month and i also started to notice some new roads in my area weren't shown on my maps. Mainly driving in the UK and Ireland. So i decided to update the Original 16GB SD card.

*****Steps taken*****
- I first updated the original 16GB card but it failed many times. I since learned that the latest update is more like 30GB so this would never work. Why the Discovercare app can't point towards this, post failure seems like a poorly designed Software... - Nil fix.
- Formatted the card and just tried to drag the relevant map folders over to my card. - Nil fix, probably due to me not having whatever hidden VW files on the card anymore post formatting.

- I then bought a 64GB Sandisk SDXC Class 10 Card(Trying to future proof for any more enormous map updates).
- Downloaded the large Maps file from the VW website and extracted/unzipped to new card. - Nil fix.
- Formatted card and used Discovercare application to install maps to new card - Successful, but car doesn't recognise the data. 'Insert a medium with valid data'
- Saw that perhaps Discovercare/infotainment may want an SD card formatted to Fat32, My Sandisk 64GB is ExFat. Downloaded partition manager and reformatted SD card to Fat32.
- Used new card in Discovercare, all criteria satisfied, formatted to Fat32, capacity 64GB & overwrite switch unlocked. Maps installed successfully, but car doesn't recognise the data. 'Insert a medium with valid data'

Now i'm lost..... :(:(:(

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated. I want my maps back....

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
how does the folder structure look like on the SD Card,
all files folder need to be on the root folder.

also which unit are u using MIB2 , MIB2 High, MIB1 ?

Last edited:

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Hello TT, thanks for the reply.

My unit is a MIB2 VW Discover Media i believe. P/N: 3Q0035874A

The files appear as below screen grab, on the root folder....

Cheers :)

My SD Card.png

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
are you sure you are downloading the correct pack,
from the Update site I see the for Discover Media the Packs are +/- 6 GB

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Sounds like you have downloaded the Pro instead of the basic maps. They need to go on the VW card and don't use the VW software to do it as it is absolute rubbish. Where are you getting the maps from?

You should back up your old card first just in case (too late now), unzip the new maps to a folder on the desktop then drag the content you unzipped to the SD card. That is litrally it.

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
are you sure you are downloading the correct pack,
from the Update site I see the for Discover Media the Packs are +/- 6 GB
Oh man... It looks to be the wrong pack! I was never sure which Infotainment i had, so when i was making choices on the VW update page and the Discovercare App i was choosing the car and model that looks like my infotainment display.
Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 15.49.19.png

If i choose the Discover Media, the picture above would look nothing like my cars unit. :(

Good observation! I will try it all again and report back! Thank you TT

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Sounds like you have downloaded the Pro instead of the basic maps. They need to go on the VW card and don't use the VW software to do it as it is absolute rubbish. Where are you getting the maps from?

You should back up your old card first just in case (too late now), unzip the new maps to a folder on the desktop then drag the content you unzipped to the SD card. That is litrally it.
Thanks Finglonga, this was another method i had tried and would never work, obviously because it appears i have the wrong map pack! I will report back later. Thank you for the tip.

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
First report back - Tried to Load Europe map package to the card via Discovercare. Discover Media Gen 2 - Europe. Successful load, still not working in car.

Trying the download file only - Extract to desktop - move folder over to SD card method next :(

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Ok i've also tried downloading the map file, approx 7GB and copying that over to the SD card. The card still doesn't recognise the card. Have i f£$%ed it completely?

What i need are the steps that someone with a blank non VW SD card should have to take to install the maps. Each attempt is taking me 2 hours. I'm very annoyed i formatted the original Card. I think i may have lost some files that need to be present on any given card for the car to validate the card and begin to read the map database... :cry::cry:

Car(s)
MK VII 7R
Ok i've also tried downloading the map file, approx 7GB and copying that over to the SD card. The card still doesn't recognise the card. Have i f£$%ed it completely?

What i need are the steps that someone with a blank non VW SD card should have to take to install the maps. Each attempt is taking me 2 hours. I'm very annoyed i formatted the original Card. I think i may have lost some files that need to be present on any given card for the car to validate the card and begin to read the map data

For me, non-VW card, I just formated to exFat and copied the files to the SD card , as soon as I plug in the brain unit it picks it up as an update and does it automatically
the best solution will be to find someone in UK with the Original SD card to create an image and then copy it to ur OEM Card.

I'm just in the process of updating mine with Jun 2021 files, here is how it looks like

Attachments

• 2021-07-01 16_16_00-P97 N60S5MIBH3 ROW NT.png
    2021-07-01 16_16_00-P97 N60S5MIBH3 ROW NT.png
    6.4 KB · Views: 393
Car(s)
MK VII 7R
MIB2 High
Discover Nav Pro

instructions say e "exFAT" or "NTFS" for Discover Pro, I can see in Discover care that there is an option to update using OEM VW Card, did u try that ?

Last edited:

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Ah i see. For Discover Media it says i need Fat32. I now have the original card back in and am trying Discovercare. Very strangely, it is now recognising it as the original OEM VW Card. When i first formatted the card, it would no longer see it as a VW card. This is encouraging. I have no idea why the software has changed it's mind on the card. Will report back.

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
Ok.... I accidentally fixed it!

- Formatted OEM SD card. This meant Discovercare no longer saw the card as OEM and would not allow me to download maps to it! I could select the Non VW SD card selection but even though the backup/download/installation process was 'successful', the car would never recognise the card.

- I tried several times, no success. Then, one time i noticed it was allowing me to select 'Yes i have a VW SD card'. I couldn't understand why, why now?! So i did the download.

- When it arrived, i noticed where it was, G: Drive. I looked in G: and noticed, this was not my SD card, but rather a USB memory stick i had put in the computer earlier!

- So the Discovercare would not recognise my VW card as a VW card, probably because i formatted it. However, it DID see my USB stick as a VW card! Go figure...

- I then thought maybe now i can transfer the file discover care installed to my VW card, drag the folder across. And then i plugged in the car and it works!!!!!

12 Downloads i've done over the last week i think! I'm delighted. But what the hell..... :)

Thanks to you all for advice and guidance.

Tel

Wolfie138

just to jump on this thread, i'm having probs too. i have a 68 plate Mk7 Golf w/ Discover Media.
got myself a 16gb card, downloaded the map pack and found it's too big :-/ was 14.7gb download, unpacks to over 16gb
got myself a 32gb card, formatted, unzipped, put it in the car and it's not being recognised, i get a "no playable tracks" message and the Nav app just says there's no database.

is it worth trying Discover Care? i wanted to use an OEM card and keep my original as a backup, i don't see how using the VW card is any different to any other card if it's been wiped and formatted? :-/
i unzipped [using 7zip as advised] to the card, i can't see it making any difference at all but is it worth unzipping to a folder then copying to the card?

TIA