GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sat nav add on ?

Foodclam36

Car(s)
Mk 7 GTD
Hi everyone I’m new to the forum so forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place
I have a mk7 gtd had a stage one upgrade super happy with the results
Also I use it as a family car so I have to be a little sensible
I’d love to add Sav nav to the car
I get head unit have particular coding to it’s particular car and the reasons why
Does anyone think it’s feasible or even do able
If I bought a sat nav unit to replace my original unit obviously with the map card etc
Could it be coded into my car with OBDeleven pro ?
for me it’s the only thing missing from my motor which id find super useful
Any ideas will help cheers guys and gals

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
a factory unit will never work, you need a hacked one.

navigation is a FeC code, think of the FeC code as the license for a software in a computer.

the FeC for navigation is tied to the VIN at the factory, when the car is built. such code CANNOT be added at a later time, in any official way.

so, again, you need a hacked main unit, like APG Poland.

Foodclam36

Car(s)
Mk 7 GTD
I almost had hope for a moment but totally understand everything you say you just confirmed my suspicions really appreciate the reply thank you Davide

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't say a factory unit will never work. But a hacked unit is more convenient in every respect except your wallet.

I have MIB II retrofit, then MIB II nav retrofit (with a factory new unit). I had to get it activated/parameterized/etc remotely, but it is not hacked in the same sense as the units form APG. My unit is open for coding, can be scanned by VCDS, has been scanned by the dealer (had component protection activated, then deactivated by the dealer), etc. That being said, if the definition of being added in an "official way" means done by the dealer then the answer is no.

To your question, no it cannot be coded with OBDeleven... but it is doable, and does not require a hacked unit. But a hacked unit will be plug and play (might have to add external GPS antenna if your stock antenna is not the correct one).

davide.bonetti

Ready to race!
well then maybe it's somehow hacked and you don't know it.

if your car was born without a navi, there is no way you can retrofit a non-hacked navi. period.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I'm not making the argument that my unit is not "somehow hacked," only that there are other options besides the plug and play units. These options are less convenient and expensive, sometimes significantly less convenient and significantly less expensive. I have nothing against any of the plug and play vendors, I just valued my money over convenience with regard to upgrading my infotainment. As my first retrofit I learned a lot while doing it which is of subjective value. And probably no value to the OP since they are otherwise happy with their GTD (I would be too, wish they offered it here in the states). It was stated that the OP "need(s) a hacked main unit, like APG Poland," which is not true.

Foodclam36

Car(s)
Mk 7 GTD
I wouldn't say a factory unit will never work. But a hacked unit is more convenient in every respect except your wallet.

I have MIB II retrofit, then MIB II nav retrofit (with a factory new unit). I had to get it activated/parameterized/etc remotely, but it is not hacked in the same sense as the units form APG. My unit is open for coding, can be scanned by VCDS, has been scanned by the dealer (had component protection activated, then deactivated by the dealer), etc. That being said, if the definition of being added in an "official way" means done by the dealer then the answer is no.

To your question, no it cannot be coded with OBDeleven... but it is doable, and does not require a hacked unit. But a hacked unit will be plug and play (might have to add external GPS antenna if your stock antenna is not the correct one).
Hi ya
Thank you so much for info absolutely super helpful
Can I pick you’re brains a little more like we’re the hell do I find a “hacked “ unit ?
And in you’re opinion what would you recommend doing if it was you in my position obviously money is a driver here however not the be all and end all if the out come is good
Thanks for you help so far really appreciate it
Regards Martin

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would recommend a plug and play unit from APG Poland, or MQB Retrofits (I think that's the name). these units will work out of the box and only require minor programming which they will assist you with.

The other option is to follow this thread:
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...o-mib2-infotainment-conversion-part-1.343701/

It will require sourcing your own parts, having some coding done remotely, and possibly buying some equipment you might not have a use for later. Not including time, the overall cost is probably half the cost of a plug-and-play setup. It could be even less if you find good deals on parts. Going this route isn't particularly hard but its not convenient and will require a bit of research and time.

I realize it's weird that I'm recommending a route that I didn't go myself but I had other retrofit plans so what I learned from the research and random things I bought have all been useful to me in the things I did later

Foodclam36

Car(s)
Mk 7 GTD
Honestly guys I can’t thank you all enough for you’re input
I’ve got a bit of a picture of things now
I knew my way around my golfs 25 years ago but times have changed so much

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
just down the road from you in Reditch is vw retofit https://www.vw-retrofit.co.uk/
Alex is a top bloke and knows his stuff i am doing the mib2.5 with 9.2" screen when he has more stock
he also has a facebook page

I was just about to post that link.......its the only proper 100% hassle free way to get OEM sat nav...

I have them "bookmarked" to upgrade my MIB1 sat nav to a MIB2.5 maybe next year...thing is I have VCDS & if I send them a full admap & coding scan they now have to tools to admap & code the unit & then send it up to me..I just fit it & hey presto 100% OEM...

To the OP...as your car did not have satnav..you will need to have a GPS aerial fitted...that can either be an OEM GPS shark fin..or an aftermarket box behind the dash...