GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SAPS ratings on motor oils

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt
I want to get AMSOIL 5w-40 full synthetic for my R here in Texas. But the only way to get 5w40 seems to be through their euro line and then there are options for full saps medium saps and low saps. Something about sulfonic ash, I can’t remember. Does anyone know which would be best to put in our cars? Or does it even matter?
Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
The most important thing is that the oil is VW approved to the correct VW spec for your engine...regardless of "w" rating...

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

aaronc7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 S3
Sulfated ash.... it's basically a test where they burn/vaporize an oil and measure how much ash remains.

Full SAPS generally lasts longer for extended drains etc.... and was more or less required when USA gas had a higher level of sulfur (which apparently is lower now)
VW502 is an example of full saps

Mid SAPS like it sounds.... probably what most common 5w30 oils are now. It's been theorized that less ash = less carbon buildup on intake valves. But then I've seen other data to show that it's primarily correlated to extended oil change interval generally = more buildup vs frequent oil changes.
VW504 is an example of medium saps

I wouldn't worry about SAPs too much, I run 504/full saps/mobil 1 FS 0w40 and my valves were not bad at all with 50k miles on the clock.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
According to the link I posted above SAP stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur.

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
According to the link I posted above SAP stands for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur.

Systems, Applications, & Products.

1614614751489.png

thegrandbull

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 MK7 Golf R 6 mt

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Systems, Applications, & Products.

View attachment 204757

SAP on TV 's is secondary audio programming.

According to the web SAP stands for...

Serious Anal Penetration....

I do not advise you put that into your web browser, ........:oops:..........as I had to thoroughly scrub mine when it came up with that result..