GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Installed a new windshield banner.
This is my third matte black banner. The two last one started peeling over the winter and with rain and pollen finally had a chance to replace. First two were no name film which used soapy water to install. This time I ordered 3M air release. Requires no water. Get it in place, you can move until you start spreading it down. Once it sticks, harder to get up. I have missed the look and how it feels to drive from inside. Great shade for summer and makes you feel like you are in a 24 hour of Daytona race with a race banner on top. This banner is much better quality and I can not see the sun through it. The older ones you could see some light. A brown light showed through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Installed my summer OZ wheels today.
Some wonder why one would buy Titanium bolts.
Compared to my original OZ bolts from Tirerack, the Titanium look new.
Guess I should have cleaned the Tirerack bolts last time removed.
Titanium are light, feel good when installing and stay clean.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Some expert help please.
I will talk to the new shop I found on their thoughts also but wanted to ask the Forum. BFI engine mount kit installed by shop at 60,000 miles. Currently at 67,000. While changing wheels I checked under the car notice dog bone had small piece of rubber hanging. I think part of OE potion as it a softer rubber. Thin like a small flange. How big and issue. Worth a replacement at 70,000 and if so what would be best option? OE with BFI re-Installed?
Thanks.

I guess some of the lower flange is tearing off. The stage two is taller and might pull more even on lower mount. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Navi

Autocross Champion
Installed my summer OZ wheels today.
Some wonder why one would buy Titanium bolts.
Compared to my original OZ bolts from Tirerack, the Titanium look new.
Guess I should have cleaned the Tirerack bolts last time removed.
Titanium are light, feel good when installing and stay clean.

what do you do for anti galling? A little anti seize?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
what do you do for anti galling? A little anti seize?

Thanks for the question.
When I was thinking of purchasing them I tried to find what negatives existed and thoughts from the forum. I did not get many replies and info I found on line was not always 100% clear. A lot of opinions and not much fact.
I know Titanium is strong but worried about daily driving and years of use. Little info found on this but a few sources who used long term reported no issues.
I currently do not use any anti seize but you bring up a good concern. I was just not 100% sure I should use anti seize. Few suggest it but did find examples of people who use it on different wheel bolts. I have the traditional silver anti seize and also some Moly copper based which I used on brake pad slide surface. I read that copper based holds up better over use.
So far no issues over 2 years with just Titanium bolts. I use they in spring summer and fall only.

Do you use anti seize on traditional bolts? I had more corrosion and oxidation with steel bolts than the titanium. I also was not sure about bolt torque install using an anti seize. It will increase slip and not give the same torque amount as a dry install.

I purchased mine from USP but ECS also sells.
A link to USP. They offer many sizes. Many feel the weight savings is not much but remember it is rotational mass. Weight from speed spinning increase. For a track or drag car the impact might help. On a Bugatti at record speed they found the weight of the tire valve cap becomes 14lbs of spinning weight. The reason they use magnesium now.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/17826.html

From a Porsche forum. A bolt dealer was offering Titanium to Members.
One comment on galling.

We recommend using anti-seize, but with that being said we have never had an instance of galling or seizing. We have a corvette race team using our close ended lug nuts, and they have never had a problem, nor has the material ever been damaged. As for comparing titanium to aluminum.... that is not even in the same world, very different product, titanium is about the same weight as aluminum with the strength of steel. It also does a great job retaining finish.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
That’s why I went with billet aluminum https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...engine-mounts/034motorsport-034-mqb-dbmi.html
At the end the engine mount is under a lot of pressure and the plastic always fail.
As for vibrations I haven’t notice any different than stock, ever.

But members have had issues with this type bending.
I think the shorter insert causes uneven engine pull and bends the part.
034 offered an aluminum upper part when used with the 034 offered more even pull. But aluminum I think would increase NVH if anything does. It does not compress any. Stage 1 BFI at least can compress and absorb some NVH.
I will keep your suggestion in mind however. Thanks.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
But members have had issues with this type bending.

I think the shorter insert causes uneven engine pull and bends the part.

034 offered an aluminum upper part when used with the 034 offered more even pull. But aluminum I think would increase NVH if anything does. It does not compress any. Stage 1 BFI at least can compress and absorb some NVH.

I will keep your suggestion in mind however. Thanks.
NVH increased. I'm sensitive to NVH, but to be honest, the lower/upper insert induced vibrations and noise are pleasant. I was very surprised to like them. They are very bearable, nothing too bad. Still breaking in, I think, but quite nice overall.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
NVH increased. I'm sensitive to NVH, but to be honest, the lower/upper insert induced vibrations and noise are pleasant. I was very surprised to like them. They are very bearable, nothing too bad. Still breaking in, I think, but quite nice overall.

Thanks for update.
My BFI kit also increased NVH but being stage 1+ tuned a little rumble sort of fits a tuned car. Little more turbo and exhaust noise from tune, while the mounts add a little feel to match.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Have not had a chance to clean the interior in weeks so took care of it today. Over the winter I ordered some sound deadening sheets, so pulled the back seat bottom to clean and add a little bit.
I see in the dealers effort to prep my car when new they shoved the foam sheets over the rear buckles down under the seat instead of removing. At first I was going to leave thinking they might help with sound but the buckles do not move so no issue. Removed as they might add some small odd noise. I also found out the dealer did not clip one side of the seat in correctly when the fuel pump recall work was performed. Corrected that on install. My goal was to not cover everything with sound deadening sheets but install a few larger pieces. A little of this stuff impacts a large surface of the metal. Wife was with me on drive after so could not tell anything due to extra noise from passenger seat.

The deadening sheets made in Russia, so now have another country represented in my car.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Something new.......

After 23 years and 270,000 miles I traded in my 97’ F150.
Picked up my 2019 Ford Ranger this week.

Ranger XLT Crew Cab
2.3 Turbo 4 cylinder. 255 hp 275ft lb at wheels.
4x4 with off road Package.
302 kit
Need to return so bed can get spray in liner, tow hitch, bed LED lighting and mud flaps.
Also will get front window and windshield tinted. 35% front and 75% windshield like my GTI.
Using an option through work I plan to swap the tires for Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3’s. Can swap if OE tires under 500 miles. Truck now has Hankook tires.

Over all I like it. Sits tall and easier to drive than full size.
Strong build with beefy suspension parts. Great ground clearance. No rubbing on driveways. 10 speed transmission not as smooth as I would like. Need a TCU tune I guess. Plug in tunes increase HP to 310hp wheels. Will think about the plug in unit.

https://images.app.goo.gl/N6DuyynmjQoYufDr6

Two surprises,folding mirrors and automatic lights. The lights work well, turning brights on and off at the correct time.

Color, Saber. Why this color?
White trucks looks like service vehicles. Had black/dark colors, never again. Light silver an option but Wife has silver. They have a red with little orange. A second option but driving by the dealer every day after work I fell in love with the Saber. Most people like it. I like the contrast with dark parts and Saber paint. Not a black wheel guy but the magnetic wheel color looks good on a truck.

I would like to get electric side steps like these but might be 3 months until available in USA.

https://youtu.be/pc6ZJpDccOQ

Still have the GTI, just a new truck.

New tires planned.
https://images.app.goo.gl/aCW2AC8ix6bCUxWq9

Old truck

New Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo 3 tires. Meaty.

Last edited: