GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
It took almost as long to get as my new car. Ordered the Front Engine cover from ECS Tuning about 2 months ago. This is the front cover that comes standard on the Euro version cars. I ordered it because without it the front engine looks unfiinished, as if something was left out and it was by VW for cost reduction in USA. The quality is top rate, OE specs.
Pictures:

Without front cover engine looks naked here!

View attachment 4933

View attachment 4934

Slight lean to front cover.

View attachment 4935

The right front corner of the main cover can be lifted some (play). when lifted the two covers line up better.

View attachment 4936

Overhead looks good.

View attachment 4938

Nice Grill look molded in place on underside.

View attachment 4939

Ball connnector that must be screwed in place on top of existing post.

View attachment 4940

Can't find it fitted to UK/Euro Seat Leon, Audi A3 or Golf GTI on Google images, and not on our UK Golf GTi, so not sure its cost cutting.

However is available from VW part number is: 06K103925AA with 07C103226A ball fixing

My guess is it is fitted to cold climates to reduce ventilation on the head via the air intake duct. as it is called "Cover for intake manifold - ventilation for cylinder head"

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3,987

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
#8 is highlighted and that gives the description in blue at the bottom, using VW etos system. I really like the cover and appreciate your pics and feedback, but didn't want you to have any issues if you are in a hot climate. As I said my guess is it helps maintain higher inlet temp on the manifold due to covering it from the airflow coming in via the air duct. But would be interested to hear how you got on but I guess without data it would be hard to measure.

Geomets

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf mk7 GTI
This cover is used or were used in the Euro Golfs. I live in a hot climate (especially the summers are HOT in Greece) and my 2014 BW46 GTI has it. At some point, whilst being in the stealership for replacing the upper strut mounts/bearings, this specific cover broke. The reason? The "mechanics" (yeah, sure) wanted to see what's under the cover and didn't know how to remove it the proper way (remember: I was in the VW dealership, in which trained personnel is working) and they broke it. 10 days wait to arrive from Germany, they don't even stock cheap things like this here anymore...

flygteye

Ready to race!
Yes would be hard to measure as water temp will just try to regulate more I would imagine. Thanks for heads up, I will look at engine bay more and see if I can see how it might affect things. So far no issues but we have not reached summer yet.

I just got this cover too and really like it. Mine also sits a little off but since I'm not looking at it everyday I'm not too concerned about it. I will watch my temps too but it's only 60-70 F here right now so will have to wait a few months. I do have the torque app and do monitor coolant/transmission/catalyst temps with it. Will see if there are any changes in the summer.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
This cover is used or were used in the Euro Golfs. I live in a hot climate (especially the summers are HOT in Greece) and my 2014 BW46 GTI has it. At some point, whilst being in the stealership for replacing the upper strut mounts/bearings, this specific cover broke. The reason? The "mechanics" (yeah, sure) wanted to see what's under the cover and didn't know how to remove it the proper way (remember: I was in the VW dealership, in which trained personnel is working) and they broke it. 10 days wait to arrive from Germany, they don't even stock cheap things like this here anymore...

Thank you for the back ground on the part. Since the release of MK7 in Europe I noticed this part in pictures and I thought it was a GTI, as the engine size looked similar. The part is well built so it must have taken a good pull by your mechanic to break it. They must have thought it just pulled out like main cover. I guess VW should have designed it to pop out at the center post like the other connectors. Compared to entire car part is not costly but at $85+ I would not call it cheap.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I just got this cover too and really like it. Mine also sits a little off but since I'm not looking at it everyday I'm not too concerned about it. I will watch my temps too but it's only 60-70 F here right now so will have to wait a few months. I do have the torque app and do monitor coolant/transmission/catalyst temps with it. Will see if there are any changes in the summer.

The angle of the front cover just looks off to me.
Everything else on car is just right so this just stood out.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Weekend Trip - USA

I drove down to Oxford Alabama this weekend and on the way home went thru the neighboring town of Anniston Alabama. Anniston is home to the famous 2nd largest chair in the USA. It was the largest in the 70's and 80's but I think there is a larger one now somewhere.

I was going to get a picture of my car under the chair as some people do, but someone was parked under it.
The chair is advertisement for a Office Supply Company.

Here is my White GTI next to the chair!:cool:

IMG_0791.JPG

Last edited:

jjm51

Ready to race!
nice.

that would take a very large arse/ass to fill that chair...

i'm sure there is a least one here in the states. lol

keep enjoying your ride sandman.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Race Weekend at Talladega Speedway - Alabama, USA!

When my older Brother and I still lived at home we lived very close to this race track while my Dad was stationed at the local Army installation. For 5 years we went to every race in the late 70's and early 80's. 35 years later he lives in lower Florida and I live in the hills of Tennessee. He has stayed active in Nascar and attends the races in Daytona and Homestead. A couple months ago he called and asked if I wanted to meet and attend the Geico 500 at Talladega Speedway. The race was this past weekend and the weather and race was great. It was 80F, clear and low humidity. :cool: The race was great with Dale Earnhardt Jr. winning in a strong way. My Brother likes Jeff Gordon who is racing his last season in Nascar. Jeff sat on the pole with fastest qualifying speed.
It was a good day!

Tri-oval turn - front stretch and pit lane. Track is 2.6 miles around.
100,000+ fans.

IMG_0753.JPG

Opening ceremony.

IMG_0759.JPG

Jeff Gordon leads the pace lap.

IMG_0778.JPG

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
MK7 Forum Sticker

After window tinting completed I installed my forum sticker.
Purchased from "Underwraps". Google Underwraps MK7 forum sticker.
I have seen others install a black sticker on the tinted window and this make it seen but not seen. I ordered red as I thought I might like the red accent. At first I thought it might stand out too much, but I like it. I do not think I have many forum members nearby, but if on any trips it will be easy to see.

IMG_0792.JPG

Last edited: