GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Samsung Note 20 and Android Auto with MIB2?

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I'm being very specific here. Android Auto (AA) has worked great on my 2017 GTI's MIB2. Sure, I'd get the occasional glitch, but it was often resolved with a reboot or by cleaning the cable/phone contacts. However, since upgrading to the Note 20, I can't go a single drive without it glitching me into madness! I've tried new cables and, yes, the good ones, rebooting the phone, rebooting the MIB2, and even removing/reinstalling AA. None of it seems to work for long. I've become so tired of dealing with it that I just went back to mounting the phone and using it externally without AA.

I think the Note 20 is a great phone. AA is the only place that it seems to fall short. Is anyone else having a problem with this combination, Note 20 (or perhaps other newer Samsungs), MIB2, and AA?

Thanks!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
What glitches are you experiencing?

No experience with the Note 20 specifically, but I have a Galaxy S20 (and have a buddy with the S20 Ultra), which is the same generation as the Note 20, and use it daily without issue with Android Auto. I've recently started using it with the AAWireless box, still without issue. But had it plugged in with a cable old school style for some time.

I know you've said you've tried multiple cables, but any time I did experience any kind of glitches, it was cable related. Connections on these cars seem extremely cable picky.

Edit: Do you have an SD card in the Note?

Last edited:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
My brother doesn’t have a Samsung, he has a pixel. But he doesn’t have any issues at all. What exactly is your unit doing?

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Have note 10+ and note 20 ultra. No issues at all.

I did have an issue after having the center console apart. The power cable was plugged in but the the data wasn't fully seated so had issues then. Have you had the center console apart.

Can you be more specific on what happens exactly. Does it disconnect, refreeze, so working or certain apps don't work

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I should have mentioned the specifics. It disconnects, much the same way that it would if the cable was loose or wiggled or the car was driven on a rough road. Only now it disconnects all the time, even with a brand new cable and the phone is suspended in a manner that makes it impossible to be jolted. Sometimes, I even get a red screen that indicates too many connection errors. It's maddening. Rather, it WAS. I stopped using Android Auto and just navigate with the phone. I get irritated when stuff doesn't work how it should. I wonder if the port on the phone itself is to blame? It works fine on a computer, though.

I find it ironic that the very technology that's made to enrich our lives also makes it a total pain in the ass! :ROFLMAO:

I've recently started using it with the AAWireless box, still without issue.

Edit: Do you have an SD card in the Note?

I gotta get one of those! But I don't want $150 in the wind until October. Also, I DO have an SD card in the phone. I don't use it for streaming music while I drive, though, if that's what you're leading to.

Thanks again!

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I should have mentioned the specifics. It disconnects, much the same way that it would if the cable was loose or wiggled or the car was driven on a rough road. Only now it disconnects all the time, even with a brand new cable and the phone is suspended in a manner that makes it impossible to be jolted. Sometimes, I even get a red screen that indicates too many connection errors. It's maddening. Rather, it WAS. I stopped using Android Auto and just navigate with the phone. I get irritated when stuff doesn't work how it should. I wonder if the port on the phone itself is to blame? It works fine on a computer, though.

I find it ironic that the very technology that's made to enrich our lives also makes it a total pain in the ass! :ROFLMAO:

I gotta get one of those! But I don't want $150 in the wind until October. Also, I DO have an SD card in the phone. I don't use it for streaming music while I drive, though, if that's what you're leading to.

Thanks again!
Oh wow. My brother (he has a golf r) went through the same stuff. Except for the red screen. But a new cable fixed all of his issues.

I wonder if your hardware is just bad?

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Thanks again!

Yeah. Every update they post is just "Sorry guys, more delays! Sorry, more delays!"

I was fortunate to back it within a day of the campaign going live, so I got one of the first batches, which was still 3 months later than initially stated. I think they got in over their heads.

Anyway, I asked about the SD card because Googling "Samsung Note 20 Android Auto MIB2" (just to see if I could find others with issues), lead me to this post. Someone with a Samsung phone who was having connection issues only when they have an SD card in. Only case I could find if it, but might be worth popping the SD card out for a day to see if it alleviates the issues. Unfortunately, it doesn't really look like there was a resolution, the OP in that post fixed it by getting an LG phone ☹️

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Note 20 doesn't have an sd card slot

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
Having been using android auto for a long time, since 2017 with my s5, and now in our q5 and the 20 gti... one thing stands out as the defining factor if AA works and that is cable/connection quality.

I don't know why the system is that sensitive to it, but it is.

Given that you have tried new good cables (in my experience anker is bulletproof) my money is on either a port problem on your car or your phone.

You can test the car port with any other phone and the same cable. I think your phone has a bum USB port. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
WOW! I don't know how I missed all of these responses, especially for so long! But I appreciate the continued assistance. I do have an SD card and my phone is, in fact, the Note 20 Ultra 5G. It's ironic that my top post said I was going to be "specific" and then I failed to share specific info. :rolleyes: I guess what I was "specifically" trying to see was if the newest Samsung phones had any known interface issues with the (now) older MIB2 platforms. Thanks again.

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
My s21 ultra works flawlessly on 2020 gti mib is that still mib2?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
what I was "specifically" trying to see was if the newest Samsung phones had any known interface issues with the (now) older MIB2 platforms. Thanks again.
The comment about getting the right cord was my experience as well. Once I finally found a cord that works consistently I have had no issues with AA with my Galaxy Fold 2.