GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

THE Formula One Thread

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
y'all watch any of the beetle cup races from miami this weekend?

they made that track look fun as hell to race on, all over the kerbing and shit.

plus they are hauling ass into the stadium complex.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Barcelona track map is out... no chicane

my body is ready

1683934220397.png

Oh and the updated Singapore layout as well..

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
I'm indifferent to those changes, but if I were to guess it basically creates a fourth straight and they may just make it a fourth DRS zone.... so big passing opportunity, lots of space:

I want to try it in assetto but its a paid track... If I were to guess, it will be nicer to drive, better flow....

edit: Now the Barcelona chicane, that was awful, but it made the final corner fun bc you had to accelerate hard the entire corner, managing the throttle from corner entry, and corner exit was extremely important for the straight.

I wonder if it will now be flat out... probably during qualy

edit2: Its also going to be much easier now to pass in the Barcelona straight as you don't have that difficult acceleration corner before the straight but instead will be almost flat out.... so the straight basically starts in turn 13 now...

Last edited:

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Well this is really encouraging, other than Ferrari being Ferrari:

1684170780719.png

Hopefully next year things get even tighter....

Note: They are slower relative to the Red Bull of that year, their 2023 pace was basically the same as 2022... The Red Bull managed to find another ~0.5s for 2023.... its so wild how OP that team is, they truly have the best talent.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
why did they remove the stadium section at singapore.

first they changed the sling which was the best corner and now this
This is a temp change while there is construction happening to/around the stadium.

Amped for Spain now that the chicane is gone, very similar feel to the end of sector 3 onto the main straight in Portimao. Should see more action into T1, hopefully.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
lol yeah, last month it flooded so hard in Miami the port flooded and the oil/gas pipelines out of the port couldn't work for a couple of days, they had to be moved in oil trucks, much slower.... all of south florida was out of gas for a couple of weeks after that, mostly because of the panic buying.... That was fun....

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Aston Martin and Honda announced they will be partnered starting in 2026.

I'll probably watch the race.... begrudgingly. Looks like a potential wet Monaco GP. I predict a Leclerc pole and he either stuffs it, or Ferrari botch something. Maybe a surprise Alonso pole and win?

Merc should have their long awaited updates. Sidepods have already been spotted.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
New "anti squat" front suspension geometry as well, probably bigger than any aero change:

1684949060202.png

(Note the Red Bull is actually Pull-Rod, the rest are all Push Rods w/ Anti Squat upper wishbone)

Looks like Ferrari didn't get the memo....

Obviously joking, they must have weighted the pros/cons and decided against it, for some reason, probably packaging, the complexity and Aero... That geometry looks like it will interfere much more with the flow ahead of the sidepods, which is extremely important

edit: Also, its not like they havent tried wierd front suspensions before... 2011 to 2015, they had a front Pull-Rod suspension... The idea being it allowed more air to flow under it to the bargeboards/floor....

1684949431281.png

Thats the 2012* car... check out that front wing, simpler times.....

1684949581224.png

A few years later.... 2018 was peak front wing (They got nerfed for 2019)

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
edit: Also, its not like they havent tried wierd front suspensions before... 2011 to 2015, they had a front Pull-Rod suspension... The idea being it allowed more air to flow under it to the bargeboards/floor....

I read that Merc's suspension arm change is mainly for this point you make here -- an aero upgrade in disguise to generate more downwash.