GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs SRE Clutch Kit Review - GTI

zslaby1010

Passed Driver's Ed
Getting ready to have a shop install and want to make sure I have everything. I have a 2016 with 22,000 miles so thinking I won’t need a new dual mass flywheel. I currently have

- Sachs SRE pressure plate with bolts
- Sachs SRE disc
- LUK throwout bearing
- IAbed Rear main seal
- Fluid

My shop said I would need to source the bolts for flywheel to crankshaft. Would this be included in a “Transmission Kit” like on DAP website? Anything else I would need?
https://www.shopdap.com/make-model-...ransmission-hardware-kit-for-6-speed-mqb.html

zslaby1010

Passed Driver's Ed
No, that kit doesn’t list the flywheel bolt, depending on the rest of your setup though (existing trans mount / dogbone bolt you will still need that kit also, they just order the flywheel bolts.
I found this stumbling across another thread

Gibberoni said:
A follow up after installing the clutch:

The install went well, everything was pretty easy and straight forward. Followed the guide from RadFox on Youtube.

Here are some things to keep in mind, and parts that MUST be replaced, as they are TTY.

Your local VW will not have these parts in stock, they are all special order materials.

Be warned that the parts.vw.com does NOT have the right part numbers! I ordered everything based on that site and it was not correct!

These are all the bolts you will need if you follow RADFOX's Youtube guide. I do not guarantee that these are correct, but I am doing my best from memory doing the service 2 days ago.

TTRS KIT:
Clutch Disk - $137.99 from DAP
Pressure Plate - $417 from FCP... plus lifetime replacement (so burn it out without worry!)
TOB - $66.40 from FCP... same here. Use it up and get a free replacement

DOGBONE MOUNT:
Kit from ECS - $12
N10699401: 1x Dogbone Mount (ECS Kit ES#2951952)
N91201001: 1x Dogbone Mount (ECS Kit ES#2951952)
N91167101: 1x Dogbone Mount (ECS Kit ES#2951952)

INSIDE TRANSMISSION:
N90847002: 3x TOB Bolt - $1.20 each
N90320701: 6x Pressure Plate Bolt - $.90 each
SACHS DMF91192: DMF - $300
N90665001: x6 Flywheel bolt - SHOULD COME WITH FLYWHEEL
3419743: Clutch Alignment tool - $6

TRANS MOUNTS:
n10706901: 3x Upper transmission mount bolts (Goes into the lower mount) - $1.14 each
N10552404: 3x Lower Transmission Mount Bolt (Goes into the trans) - $3.40 each

You can alternatively only remove the bolts from the lower mount to the transmission, and then remove the upper and lower mounts as 1 piece, then you will need:
N10699701 x4 - $2.34 each

ENGINE BLOCK TO TRANS BOLTS:
N90884602: 1x Trans/Engine Bolt - $10 - Holds shifter linkage bracket in
N10721501: 2x Trans/Engine Bolt - $3 - On the top and side
N10692701: 1x Trans/Engine Bolt - $5 - I honestly cant remember where this one went...
N90916102: 2x Trans/Engine Bolt - $6 - Bottom of the trans
N91060202: 1x Trans/Engine Bolt - $5 - This one is the one that screws in from the engine side (I think)

MISC
N10699701: 1x Control Arm Bolt - This is only needed if you undo the control arm like I needed to. I was not able to get my ball join nuts off for some reason.
B000750M2: VW DOT4 Brake Fluid
06K103171G: Rear Main Seal (Highly suggested to do this)
Get a liter of trans fluid, or get 3 if you are going to change it out (holds ~2.75L)

If you are installing a new flywheel (like I did) you need to make sure your kit came with new bolts. You absolutely cannot reuse any of the bolts inside the transmission. Below is the reason why I installed a new flywheel. This is on a stock tune with the original trans setup. Changed at 68000 miles.

View attachment 19404

First thoughts on the clutch:

The engagement is about the same. The release of the clutch is where you can really feel the difference. It really wants to spring back quickly. I did not think it was a huge difference, but my wife is actually having a hard time adjusting to it.

Already put 200 miles on it, cant wait to get to 500 to see how much better this thing is. We can already feel that more power is being put down to the wheels.”

Looks like I should order those additional bolts as well? I’m all stock aside mount wise.

Aceeon

Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Just wanted to update this thread with some more info! I was stage 1 on the stock clutch (20k miles on the car) and figured it was going to start slipping as soon as I hit stage 2. I did a lot of research on the best clutch for more power and maintaining the stock feel and I landed on this one. I'm a bit nervous for the future as I am now EQT Stage 2 which is estimated at 370 tq (my AP reads 400ish ft/lbs at the clutch) but we will see!

I replaced the clutch, flywheel, RMS, and TOB in one go, I didn't want to take the chance on not swapping the flywheel as I wanted to make more power. The new clutch feels fantastic! It feels like stock but maybe 20% firmer. It feels much more sporty and responsive instead of mushy. I had tested a South Bend Stage 3 clutch on a friends GTI and it was WAYYY firmer than this, almost unbearable to daily drive IMO. The break in miles were hard not to boost in, but the car actually felt faster once I could get back into it. I knew when I bought a GTI that I would want more power and I would have to replace a clutch if I went with a stick but the driving experience is just better than a DSG. This clutch only helps accentuate that. Now on stage 2 power, this thing is a little monster! Stage 2 takes this car to a new level, and yet it's still so practical. So far I have 400ish miles out of the break-in period, but I will keep this updated if anything changes. I highly recommend this clutch as it sits now.

This is a pic of my stock clutch and flywheel. Someone owned this car for 17k miles before me and it looks like they burned the clutch a few times so I'm glad I swapped the flywheel while I was at it.
IMG_1221.PNG

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just wanted to update this thread with some more info! I was stage 1 on the stock clutch (20k miles on the car) and figured it was going to start slipping as soon as I hit stage 2. I did a lot of research on the best clutch for more power and maintaining the stock feel and I landed on this one. I'm a bit nervous for the future as I am now EQT Stage 2 which is estimated at 370 tq (my AP reads 400ish ft/lbs at the clutch) but we will see!

I replaced the clutch, flywheel, RMS, and TOB in one go, I didn't want to take the chance on not swapping the flywheel as I wanted to make more power. The new clutch feels fantastic! It feels like stock but maybe 20% firmer. It feels much more sporty and responsive instead of mushy. I had tested a South Bend Stage 3 clutch on a friends GTI and it was WAYYY firmer than this, almost unbearable to daily drive IMO. The break in miles were hard not to boost in, but the car actually felt faster once I could get back into it. I knew when I bought a GTI that I would want more power and I would have to replace a clutch if I went with a stick but the driving experience is just better than a DSG. This clutch only helps accentuate that. Now on stage 2 power, this thing is a little monster! Stage 2 takes this car to a new level, and yet it's still so practical. So far I have 400ish miles out of the break-in period, but I will keep this updated if anything changes. I highly recommend this clutch as it sits now.

This is a pic of my stock clutch and flywheel. Someone owned this car for 17k miles before me and it looks like they burned the clutch a few times so I'm glad I swapped the flywheel while I was at it.
View attachment 213361

Was the car tuned for the whole 20k miles? If so, doesn't look to bad for stg1 and 20k miles.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Nah it was only tuned for 800 or so. I was itching to go stage 2.
Ah, gotcha. I'm just under 20k miles, 15k miles 91 oct EQT stg1, no slip so far, even with over a 100 launches with RE71R's. I don't go WOT in 4th, 5th or 6th, so that helps. I'm interested in you clutch setup, as that's the one I've been looking at when my luck runs out.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
Any updates? How are these holding up?
Would this handle apr stage 2 power?
Over 65k on mine now. 4 track weekends at VIR about 8 1/4 mile passes, APR Stage 2 for most of that time, now APR is38 tune and on Cup2’s. Still doing great. If it goes out, I will probably get the same one again.