GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sachs 4 puck- thoughts?

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Any updates? I might need a new clutch.. looks like my SB stage 3 endurance just gave up all of the sudden after 45k miles... had no warning or slipping signs though. I ordered the Sachs performance rated at 400lbs from fcp euro I figure with their life time replacement even if it last 3 years/40k miles I would pay for labor only as long as it feels like stock with no vibrations on take off and noise, I'm good

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Any updates? I might need a new clutch.. looks like my SB stage 3 endurance just gave up all of the sudden after 45k miles... had no warning or slipping signs though. I ordered the Sachs performance rated at 400lbs from fcp euro I figure with their life time replacement even if it last 3 years/40k miles I would pay for labor only as long as it feels like stock with no vibrations on take off and noise, I'm good
You could have the clutch/flywheel rebuilt by southbend for less than what a new clutch and flywheel would cost.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Once they pull it out I will call SB and see what my options are. I'll probably sale it and ask if anyone wants me to rebuild it.
As of now they are suspecting my issue is the clutch still dont know for sure.

mk7_drew

Passed Driver's Ed
Once they pull it out I will call SB and see what my options are. I'll probably sale it and ask if anyone wants me to rebuild it.
As of now they are suspecting my issue is the clutch still dont know for sure.
Clutch is still holding up amazing, it does however take a while for you to get used it it’s somewhat strange behavior (it’s really not bad at all). I think I’m at 20k or so and it’s been great. Still getting a mild squeaking noise when pulling off, I think that just has to do with the clutch material though. Overall it feels like a stock clutch, no chatter whatsoever, holding up to my stage 2 power currently and I have no doubt it’ll still hold up when I go big turbo.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
Clutch is still holding up amazing, it does however take a while for you to get used it it’s somewhat strange behavior (it’s really not bad at all). I think I’m at 20k or so and it’s been great. Still getting a mild squeaking noise when pulling off, I think that just has to do with the clutch material though. Overall it feels like a stock clutch, no chatter whatsoever, holding up to my stage 2 power currently and I have no doubt it’ll still hold up when I go big turbo.

I ended up just going with the Sachs SRE. Honestly the Chatter with the SB was not bad at all, it actually almost the same as the Sachs SRE, i do hear some chatter with it as well. My biggest dislike with the SB was gear shuddering on low revs in first and reverse just as you guys described with the 4 puck, other than that the engagement and feeling was fantastic.
One more dislike I had with the SB also was the gear noise I heard at low RPM, especially in 3rd while accelerating.

with the Sachs SRE everything went back to normal, similar to stock, with the shuddering and noise.
It definitely a better daily driver, so far I really like this set up. Only difference from stock is that the clutch pedal is a bit stiffer, but not as stiff as the SB that is for sure.
If FCP euro offered this went I got mine done 3+ years ago, I would have gone with this setup instead. The lifetime replacement warranty for me is the biggest selling point, however at the time all shops recommended SB and would warranty only this one for the 1 year 12k miles

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I ended up just going with the Sachs SRE. Honestly the Chatter with the SB was not bad at all, it actually almost the same as the Sachs SRE, i do hear some chatter with it as well. My biggest dislike with the SB was gear shuddering on low revs in first and reverse just as you guys described with the 4 puck, other than that the engagement and feeling was fantastic.
One more dislike I had with the SB also was the gear noise I heard at low RPM, especially in 3rd while accelerating.

with the Sachs SRE everything went back to normal, similar to stock, with the shuddering and noise.
It definitely a better daily driver, so far I really like this set up. Only difference from stock is that the clutch pedal is a bit stiffer, but not as stiff as the SB that is for sure.
If FCP euro offered this went I got mine done 3+ years ago, I would have gone with this setup instead. The lifetime replacement warranty for me is the biggest selling point, however at the time all shops recommended SB and would warranty only this one for the 1 year 12k miles

If I end up having some extra cash laying around, I may downgrade from the 4 puck to the SRE. I do plan some more power mods on my car, but 600lb is excessive. The 4 puck absolutely hates hill starts on extreme inclines. The incline has to be excessive where the car would roll back quickly once off the brake.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
If I end up having some extra cash laying around, I may downgrade from the 4 puck to the SRE. I do plan some more power mods on my car, but 600lb is excessive. The 4 puck absolutely hates hill starts on extreme inclines. The incline has to be excessive where the car would roll back quickly once off the brake.
yeah with the SB I could never just let the clutch out slowly with no gas, the car would start shaking very badly. It felt like something was going to break...
All that is gone with the Sachs SRE, now driving in traffic is not a big deal... the clutch cost me just about $1k with everything plus the new upgraded rear main seal, install was $400 so not too bad....
The reason I went with the SB was because I did not want to do this twice, but I guess that theory just went to trash with the part failed on me not due to wear
I guess sometimes things happen for a reason... I do enjoy the car more now...
Hopefully with proper break in this new clutch will never need to be replaced, however if it were to last only a few years I would only have to pay for labor next time around since fcp euro offers lifetime free replacement, but at least I can enjoy the car more this way.

Bobroham

I am considering ordering the 4 puck or the SRE. I think I will be fine with the driving characteristics of the 4 puck but not 100% sure.
1) Longevity. Can anyone comment on the longevity of these 2 clutches?
2) anyone have experience with both? How do they drive compared to eachother?

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
What paragraph in that link refers to the experienced driving habits of the Sachs 4 puck VS the SRE that’s in question?
from what I read about the 4 pucks, it is very similar to the southbend in regards to shuddering, that is why I went with the Sachs SRE and from my situation its been the best decision.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
from what I read about the 4 pucks, it is very similar to the southbend in regards to shuddering, that is why I went with the Sachs SRE and from my situation its been the best decision.
For what it's worth, I have the South bend stage 3 daily clutch in my car. There is very little to no shuddering. And that's with upgraded mounts all around. Aside from the stiffer clutch it's actually pretty forgiving. ?

What I do get is a good deal of gear rollover noises in lower RPMs and gearbox rattle at idle when it's really warm.

Jessesky

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
out of curiosity, is there any reason one cannot use the sachs 4 puck friction plate with the stock pressure plate? Or cannot use the sachs Race Engineering pressure plate with the stock GTI full face organic clutch? Trying to figure out parts compatibility. If possible id like to try and pair the factory gti full face sprung friction plate, with the SRE pressure plate.

Im thinking it may be even smoother than the SRE kit with the unsprung friction plate.

thoughts?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
out of curiosity, is there any reason one cannot use the sachs 4 puck friction plate with the stock pressure plate? Or cannot use the sachs Race Engineering pressure plate with the stock GTI full face organic clutch? Trying to figure out parts compatibility. If possible id like to try and pair the factory gti full face sprung friction plate, with the SRE pressure plate.

Im thinking it may be even smoother than the SRE kit with the unsprung friction plate.

thoughts?

I think the pressure plate is the weak point of the stock clutch setup. Putting the weak stock pressure plate with the 4 puck may be the worst situation. Maybe the 4 puck pressure plate with the stock friction plate?

Jessesky

Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I think the pressure plate is the weak point of the stock clutch setup. Putting the weak stock pressure plate with the 4 puck may be the worst situation. Maybe the 4 puck pressure plate with the stock friction plate?
yes so i just shot you a PM actually. I have sitting in my house the SRE performance pressure plate. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pressure-plate-sachs-performance-883082001422#reviews

id like to use this with the stock friction disc, but im not sure if it will be compatible, and getting information from "Benny" at sachs is like pulling teeth. The reason id like to use the stock friction plate over even the organic full face plate from sachs, is the OE plate is sprung, so should be smoother.

Benny stated the stock friction plate wouldnt fit with the SRE performance pressure plate, but when i asked for a reason, he wouldn't tell me why. Also in other forums, it seems like there is parts compatibility. I want to be sure though before i spend a ton of money that it will work with the factory friction plate, and Benny is just giving out wrong information, or trying to sell me.

Last edited: