GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S3 vs Golf R factory springs

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Does anyone know why the stock S3 rear springs are significantly different than the Golf R? I was using them to upgrade my sportwagen and did research on the Golf R springs. I picked up a set of S3 rears for almost nothing so I went with them. The S3 springs are 1-1/2" shorter and have 1 less coil wind. They ended up working fine with the TT rear pads. I figured the R springs wouldn't have needed the pads. Are the S3 springs stiffer to be so much shorter?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Cars are weight balanced differently due to hatch vs sedan. Would not recommend using them cross model.

I know they are weight balanced. That's why they are a better match for my sportwagen. I compared all 4 corner weights across all models. That's how I ended up with R or S3 as the best match for the rears with gti fronts. They are in the car already paired with a gti rear sway bar and the car handles amazing. Plus I found my answer elsewhere about the S3 spring height difference. They are sprung heavier than the golf R which works out even better with the increased rear weight bias of the sportwagen.

JCAT

This is my car after adding the TT rear pads to the S3 springs and dampers. What is the difference between the S3 and GTI fronts?

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I couldn't get a definitive answer on it. The gti front springs are 175lb/in and the Golf R fronts are 195lb/in. The gti rear are 230 and the R are 245. I know on the fwd Sportwagen, I am sprung 10 heavier front a rear vs a golf. With the S3 or R rears, it works well with the additional rear weight of the wagon and it will have less understeer. So far it is working out great. I've had it for over a month know and no issues at all. The difference between the S3 and Golf R rears was just a question burning in the back of my mind. I couldn't find answers elsewhere, so I asked here. As soon as I did a guy from facebook that has an S3 confirmed they are heavier, but he didn't know how much more. With the TT pad it sits nice. I was calculating that I wouldn't need the TT pad with the R springs.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I'm not sure the method they used or their source but I've always checked Neuspeed's site for OEM spring rates, where they list their rates to show the increase:

http://www.neuspeed.com/329/0/0/3156/557009-neuspeed-spring-kit-sport.html

That part number should be the same for the R and S3, and they are only noting the R rates at 195/245 like TwinDad said. Except for an extra spring pad to raise the rear slightly if desired, most manufacturers have the same part number for R and S3 aftermarket springs, so that makes sense.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Looks like your front sits a little bit higher than mine.

Edit: actually that difference is probably in the tire diameter since the AT has slightly taller tires.

I'm running 235/45-17 tires. The front does sit a bit higher than I was hoping. I used springs from a manual 2dr gti. I also planned on how they would sit with the R springs, not the S3 ones. Overall the front sits maybe a 1/4" higher than the rear. I'm about 26" from ground to fender on the rear and about 26-1/4" up front. Center of wheel to fender is 14" and 14-1/4".

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
20190617_172205.jpg

Here are fwd sportwagen, gti and S3 rears. The S3 measure 11". I had a friend measure the Golf R and they are 12-1/2"

skilaxin1088

Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
View attachment 157791

Here are fwd sportwagen, gti and S3 rears. The S3 measure 11". I had a friend measure the Golf R and they are 12-1/2"
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking at going with these S3 springs on my alltrack and I'm curious how these have been working out for you? I'm currently running R springs on the rear with GTI fronts and the rear definitely needs a little more support. Do you happen to know which part number you used?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I know this is an old thread but I'm looking at going with these S3 springs on my alltrack and I'm curious how these have been working out for you? I'm currently running R springs on the rear with GTI fronts and the rear definitely needs a little more support. Do you happen to know which part number you used?
You will sit pretty low in the rear. I’m a fwd sportwagen and I use the TT pads. Even with that it sits about 3/8-1/2” lower in the rear than the gti fronts. I’m around 13-1/2” from wheel center to fender on the rear. I’d imagine an alltrack will sit another 1/2” lower maybe

skilaxin1088

Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
You will sit pretty low in the rear. I’m a fwd sportwagen and I use the TT pads. Even with that it sits about 3/8-1/2” lower in the rear than the gti fronts. I’m around 13-1/2” from wheel center to fender on the rear. I’d imagine an alltrack will sit another 1/2” lower maybe
I appreciate your reply, that's really good to know. I'm at about 14 1/2" on R springs with TT pads and EMD spacers, 14" on the front with GTI springs which sounds pretty close to what you have on the front. I'd probably be level without the EMD spacers. I'll probably take some measurements when I get the springs and see if I can calculate where I will be. It looks like you said previously the S3 spring measures 11", I've measured both the GTI and R springs to be about 11 3/4". EMD makes a thicker spacer for the F80 that they told me would work if I need more height, and I also have access to a lathe so I could probably buy some material and make my own if I needed to as well.

I'm assuming you're happy with the ride quality and handling if you're still running this setup? hoping its the goldilocks for me.