GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

S-Tronic vs DSG

hugoender1

Ready to race!
So my wife has a 2015 Audi A3 S-tronic and I have a 2016 VW GTI with DSG. I previously owned a 2010 VW GTI with DSG.

My question is: are the s-tronic and DSG transmissions the same? Exactly the same?

I ask because all my searches seem to suggest that they are exactly the same but both my old and new GTI DSG transmissions are very... rough/jerky. At first I thought this was just how it was with these dual clutch transmissions but now that my wife has an Audi A3 I notice how extremely smooth her transmission is! It's like night and day!

The best example of the difference between her S-tronic and my DSG is when slowing down to a stop. When my DSG shifts from 3rd to 2nd there is a noticeable engine breaking. So much so that I need to release the brake pedal to compensate for the engine breaking otherwise it jerks your head forward. With my wife's S-tronic, it feels the same as a sluchbox... smooth all the way to a stop. No need to modulate the brake pedal to keep a consistent deceleration.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

hugoender1

Ready to race!
Mine does that in sport mode, but in normal mode it's really smooth. Could it be that?

I don't use sport mode. Only normal and manual so no that is not it.

It doesn't happen every time. Some times the shift is smooth but others it's not.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I noticed this too. I've never ridden in the audi though, so can't comment on the differences. But, I have had a hard time getting used to the braking in the GTI, since its using the engine and brakes at the same time.